shadow storm

6023142_joe-madureira-launches-battle-ch

Title: Battle Chasers: Nightwar
Genre: Indie, RPG

Platform Steam, Switch
Developer: Airship Syndicate 
Publisher: THQ Nordic
Release Date: 3 Oct, 2017

Battle Chasers: Nightwar is an RPG inspired by the classic console greats, featuring deep dungeon diving, turn-based combat presented in a classic JRPG format, and a rich story driven by exploration of the world.

Classic turn-based combat inspired by the console RPG greats, with a unique overcharge mana system and incredible Battle Bursts.

Beautiful, randomly-generated dungeons loaded with traps, puzzles, secrets and loot. 

Explore an overworld peppered with hidden dungeons, rare bosses and randomly appearing friends and foes. 

Action oriented, randomly-generated dungeons loaded with traps, puzzles and secrets. Use each hero's unique dungeon skills to survive

Build your adventuring party by choosing three of six available heroes from the classic Battle Chasers comic series, each with unique abilities, perks, items and dungeon skills

Dive into the deep crafting system, using the unique ingredient-overloading system to create epic items!

• 3 months later...

I thought there was no thread for this game and almost ended up creating one. Thanks Search function!

Anyway, I've been playing this game since it came out a couple of weeks ago and having a blast! Yes it's a very old-school JRPG style game (made by a western studio) but it's extremely well made and tons of fun to play. I'm currently in the final stretch with close to 30 hours spent and here's what I think...

The game has outstanding art direction. It's based on a late 90s comic book by Joe Madureira, who also worked on Darksiders. So expect to see a lot of similarities with those games. Everything from the dungeons, to the characters and the overworld map has a unique flair that really got me invested from the moment I started.

It's a very simple game at it's core. Explore the overworld map, do dungeons/little side quest areas, fight enemies/boss, level up, get better gear etc. but it's really well made. The game has no gimmick to it and perhaps to me that is it's biggest strength. Sometimes simplicity trumps complexity. That's not to say the game lacks depth (because it's there), it's just very easy to pick up and play.

The combat is turn based / classic JRPG style. 3 vs 3 battles that look very cool thanks to the awesome animations and abilities. Each character in your party plays differently and comes with their own strengths and weaknesses. It became really hard for me to choose which 3 characters I wanted to focus on (eventually I went with the 3 you start with but I'll most likely level the others too). One minor gripe is that benched characters don't gain XP.

Dungeons are where the game really shines. Each story dungeon gets progressively harder and feature puzzles, traps, unique events with rewards etc. They can be repeated on harder modes for better rewards. I did most of them at least twice to get more loot and levels for my guys.

It's sad that the game has almost zero hype and to me it's already one of the best games to come out this year. There are some minor issues like the story being mostly filler and the aforementioned thing about unused characters not getting XP (which limits your options somewhat), however there's NG+ and other stuff to look forward to. This game also has one of the most fun fishing mini-games I've seen, and there's a ton of hidden treasures etc to find. All in all, if you're looking for an old-school RPG with a great art style and fun combat, I highly recommend it.

PS: I read that the PS4 version is buggy with constant crashes etc (which the devs are aware of and are working on fixes). however the PC version has been flawless so far.

Archived