xenoblade chronicles 2

shadow storm

Developer(s)Monolith Soft

Publisher(s)Nintendo

Platform Nintendo Switch

Release Q4 2017

Genre(s) Role-playing

The game will play as an open-world Japanese role-playing video game. While it is a sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles, it features a new world and cast of characters. It stars protagonist Rex and his new friend Pyra, who are searching the world for Elysium, the ultimate paradise for humanity. The game takes place in an endless ocean of clouds, where the last remnants of civilization live on the backs of numerous colossal beasts known as the Titans.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So, been playing this all night yesterday and it is such an amazing game. The graphics are weird and it has issues compared to Zelda/Mario in handheld mode. But I couldn't care less as it more than make up for it via combat. I haven't encountered a system as complex as this in some time and I love it(haven't played the first one or X). It took me north of 6 hours just to understand the basics and successfully use them in the battle as it was very overwhelming in the beginning.

@Tyler , you should try this as this might be your kind of game.

2 hours ago, b!T said:

So, been playing this all night yesterday and it is such an amazing game. The graphics are weird and it has issues compared to Zelda/Mario in handheld mode. But I couldn't care less as it more than make up for it via combat. I haven't encountered a system as complex as this in some time and I love it(haven't played the first one or X). It took me north of 6 hours just to understand the basics and successfully use them in the battle as it was very overwhelming in the beginning.

@Tyler , you should try this as this might be your kind of game.

Six hours is just to understand basic stuff. It'll keep getting complicated as you unlock mechanics and find new blades.

Also I'm gonna try n connect the dock to TV and play it docked. This is the first Switch game I'll be playing on TV :P Looks really bad in portable mode. 380p wtf were they thinking?

8 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

Six hours is just to understand basic stuff. It'll keep getting complicated as you unlock mechanics and find new blades.

Also I'm gonna try n connect the dock to TV and play it docked. This is the first Switch game I'll be playing on TV :P Looks really bad in portable mode. 380p wtf were they thinking?

Ha ha, yeah. I am taking it slow because they are pushing in new mechanics before the already explained ones sink in.

Also I use both modes depending on where I am in the house but this game cannot be played in its current handheld state. Quite beautiful in docked mode though.

• 3 years later...

I have been following a walkthrough by John, easily the best walkthrough/playthrough player on YT, especially for JRPGs.

I'm almost at the end. It took a lot of my time but it sure is worth it. It may seem weird to most that I'm watching a game rather than playing but I can't get my hands on a switch for now, and I was really interested in the game due the recent Smash Pyra/Mythra reveal. 

The world building and the lore is so damn good. Rex is such a great character, and all the party members bring so much to the table. There are definitely certain questionable choices in terms of character costume designs and anime tropes at times, but it's not that tough to overlook 'em. Just wanted to say I found a nugget of gold, and I'm glad about it.

2 hours ago, Aloy said:

I have been following a walkthrough by John, easily the best walkthrough/playthrough player on YT, especially for JRPGs.

I'm almost at the end. It took a lot of my time but it sure is worth it. It may seem weird to most that I'm watching a game rather than playing but I can't get my hands on a switch for now, and I was really interested in the game due the recent Smash Pyra/Mythra reveal. 

The world building and the lore is so damn good. Rex is such a great character, and all the party members bring so much to the table. There are definitely certain questionable choices in terms of character costume designs and anime tropes at times, but it's not that tough to overlook 'em. Just wanted to say I found a nugget of gold, and I'm glad about it.

Gameplay is kind of a chore though. It's not even a proper turn based game or action game. More like auto attack, fill a bar, press button to do high damage. I have the game in my backlog. Want to finish it, and most probably will some time. One of the reasons why I've not yet got Torna the Golden Country, despite hearing tons of good things about it.

2 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Gameplay is kind of a chore though. It's not even a proper turn based game or action game. More like auto attack, fill a bar, press button to do high damage. I have the game in my backlog. Want to finish it, and most probably will some time. One of the reasons why I've not yet got Torna the Golden Country, despite hearing tons of good things about it.

John is so great at narrating that he makes the combat look like a delight lol. I can't really say much without actually playing the game but from I've seen, he really seems to enjoy the combat system.

Also you should really get around finishing it. The art/level design in the some of the later parts is really damn great. I'll make sure to get this game whenever I buy a switch.

10 minutes ago, Aloy said:

John is so great at narrating that he makes the combat look like a delight lol. I can't really say much without actually playing the game but from I've seen, he really seems to enjoy the combat system.

Also you should really get around finishing it. The art/level design in the some of the later parts is really damn great. I'll make sure to get this game whenever I buy a switch.

It's definitely in my bucket list. I think I left somewhere around Chapter 4. Will have to see a video to refresh my memory of earlier chapters first.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Aloy said:

Combat takes time getting used to, but I totally loved it. It is the only game I acrually spent 62 hours completing( yeah, that's how long it took me without many side missions).

1 hour ago, playstationdude said:

Combat takes time getting used to, but I totally loved it. It is the only game I acrually spent 62 hours completing( yeah, that's how long it took me without many side missions).

62 hours are nothing in the world of RPGs:P. P5R took me like 140 hours.. enjoyed every second of it though