The "I Got Lowballed" thread - talk about your experience!

bowser

1 hour ago, blitzkreiig said:

Modus operandi might be real but the whole conversation seems rehearsed from both ends.

Yeah. 

1 hour ago, adity said:

It's very easy. They sent you a payment link encoded in the qr code. The app you are paying through will still ask for your upi id or something. Then the payment is done. People who aren't technologically literate fall for this very easily. Back in the day, you would need bank app or Internet login to transfer cash so these scams were relatively  hard but now with UPI being so simple and ubiquitous they've become easy to execute. 

This happened with me as well. I was selling last of us 2 and some dude called me to buy the game. First of all he sounded illiterate, not exactly the kind of person who buys latest ps4 games. Second, he agreed to buy without any haggling or even deciding a meeting place. I immediately cut the call and blocked him. Too many red flags. 

I meant I don't understand how it's happening without entering the pin. That's what the video was talking about. 

The usual way is well known. 

orchestrated or not, atleast informative and passing the right message, better then videos of Taimur aaj balcony main breakfast kartadekha gaya :P

Savdha rahe Satark Rahe!!

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

So a seller reverse-lowballed me.

Was about to "lowball" him and offer a certain amount (much lower than his posted amount) but thought to test the water first.

And before i could offer, he himself offered half of the amount I was about to offer which in turn was fourth of the original amount he posted which wasn't unfair to begin it.

Had to agree.

Edited by GunnerY2J

8 hours ago, GunnerY2J said:

So a seller reverse-lowballed me.

Was about to "lowball" him and offer a certain amount (much lower than his posted amount) but thought to test the water first.

And before i could offer, he himself offered half of the amount I was about to offer which in turn was fourth of the original amount he posted which wasn't unfair to begin it.

Had to agree.

Calm down dude, this is not a competition. :lol:

Someone tried to scam me just now on OLX. 

Asked for my number, then phoned me and talked about the product, asked condition, how old it is, negotiated a bit - basically made it all sound legit. He took my address. 

Then he said I'm sending you a QR code on Whatsapp, you can scan that and money will be added to your account. (Big red flag).

He inisisted that I don't cut the call, because he has a "merchant account" and the phone line has to remain open. (Another red flag - first time I'm hearing of any such thing lol)

Told him I am uncomfortable with this. Told him to send it normally or just give cash. Then he started talking about how the money was already cut from his account and so I needed to go through with this (adding a sense of urgency so you wont be calm). 

I immediately googled a bit and saw that you never need to scan any QR code or put PIN to recieve money. It will always be directly added to your account.

If you're scanning a QR code, its always to send money. 

Told him to f**k off. He immediately deleted all his messages. Reported him on OLX and Whatsapp. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dylanjosh said:

Someone tried to scam me just now on OLX. 

Asked for my number, then phoned me and talked about the product, asked condition, how old it is, negotiated a bit - basically made it all sound legit. He took my address. 

Then he said I'm sending you a QR code on Whatsapp, you can scan that and money will be added to your account. (Big red flag).

He inisisted that I don't cut the call, because he has a "merchant account" and the phone line has to remain open. (Another red flag - first time I'm hearing of any such thing lol)

Told him I am uncomfortable with this. Told him to send it normally or just give cash. Then he started talking about how the money was already cut from his account and so I needed to go through with this (adding a sense of urgency so you wont be calm). 

I immediately googled a bit and saw that you never need to scan any QR code or put PIN to recieve money. It will always be directly added to your account.

If you're scanning a QR code, its always to send money. 

Told him to f**k off. He immediately deleted all his messages. Reported him on OLX and Whatsapp. 

Most common OLX scam nowadays. 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird

I don’t know about you guys but I’ve been having fun on olx lately. It’s more of a stress buster site. I know some f**ker is going to quote some insanely stupid offer so I start counter bidding even lower offers as if we are in a bidding war for the cheap stake award and talk about movies released on Amazon prime recently. 

Yesterday we talked about movie Parasite. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, dylanjosh said:

the phone line has to remain open. (Another red flag - first time I'm hearing of any such thing lol)

Happened with someone I know. Person on the other end asked them to keep the phone connected, so that they can immediately confirm the payment. Asked to do only 100 bucks as trial to ensure it works, and then send the remaining amount right after.

Turns out her phone got cloned to see her pin when she made the first payment (thats why the call had to be connected) and then the scammer went into google pay on the clone phone and swiped 50 grand from her account. 

23 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

Happened with someone I know. Person on the other end asked them to keep the phone connected, so that they can immediately confirm the payment. Asked to do only 100 bucks as trial to ensure it works, and then send the remaining amount right after.

Turns out her phone got cloned to see her pin when she made the first payment (thats why the call had to be connected) and then the scammer went into google pay on the clone phone and swiped 50 grand from her account. 

how did they "clone" the phone?

13 hours ago, Cryptic_8 said:

how did they "clone" the phone?

They asked her to GPay a 100 bucks as trial, sent her a link. Link redirects to GPay, and then she paid as normal. They asked her to hold the phone, and when she saw 50K deducted from her account, horrified, she cut the call. Called the back, asked them to freeze the account I guess.

I think that link, and the phone line being open allowed them to clone the phone? 

21 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

They asked her to GPay a 100 bucks as trial, sent her a link. Link redirects to GPay, and then she paid as normal. They asked her to hold the phone, and when she saw 50K deducted from her account, horrified, she cut the call. Called the back, asked them to freeze the account I guess.

I think that link, and the phone line being open allowed them to clone the phone? 

I don't think that's how it can be cloned, unless we're talking Tollywood. 

Most likely the QR code was for the payment of 50k, she didn't notice, entered pin, and wham !

Relatively easy to do in the heat of the moment to an unsuspecting victim.