Numbers, MTx, and Fiscal sales discussion thread

23 minutes ago, Sach4life said:

Majority of the earning from games are within 3-6 months, not when are on sale for more than 50%.

So, you have went from 'barely break-even' to 'majority earnings within 3-6 months'. Even by this definition of yours, they still have 3 months in this 'majority earning' period. Developers are calling their game a 'success' for breaking even earlier than expected and I don't have any reason for not believing them.

10 minutes ago, GeraltOfRivia said:

So, you have went from 'barely break-even' to 'majority earnings within 3-6 months'. Even by this definition of yours, they still have 3 months in this 'majority earning' period. Developers are calling their game a 'success' for breaking even earlier than expected and I don't have any reason for not believing them.

I didn't go from anywhere to somewhere else. My point stands. How successful they are later remains to be seen. For now, after all the good press, less budget and good sales, they are not profitable. 

4 minutes ago, Sach4life said:

I didn't go from anywhere to somewhere else. My point stands. How successful they are later remains to be seen. For now, after all the good press, less budget and good sales, they are not profitable. 

Btw you mentioned they have sold 'over million' copies. Where did you got that information ?

1 hour ago, Sach4life said:

That was a mistake from my side. I got it confused with Ni-oh.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ah ok, I asked because if they would have already reached over million copies sold, at least half of their earnings would have been profit.

1 hour ago, CarbonCore said:

Well they ignored more than 75% of the console gaming market (retail) while also being console exclusive so that's still mighty impressive.

Yeah, they also have the option to port the game to Xbox / Switch.

4 hours ago, Sach4life said:

Yeah, and guess what? Hellblade after being made on a tight budget with a small team, sold over million copies and barely break-even.

They are not moaning about poor sales or sales below expectations either. I think at the end if the developer can make it work with such a model at certain budget points it is a sound system. 

2 hours ago, Sach4life said:

Again, unlike 90% of the publishers or publisher backed titles we are not seeing statements of public despondency on lower sales while the stock value is trending upwards or how if we do not achieve so many sales we will have to shut down operations.

I would very much like to return to this debate about 6 months post-launch since right now Ninja Theory is quite pleased and sees itself on schedule. 

4 hours ago, Sach4life said:

Seriously

Simple economics man. If you want me to work somewhere you got to pay me in accordance to the local standards. 

I will not work for Indian freelancing wages in the US or vice-versa. 

Edited by ALPHA17

When even average quality AAA games continue to be among top sellers.

You can’t expect publishers to start focusing on AA.

The reason we still keep getting high budget same same games is because that’s what people want. And that’s what sells.

The titles you guys mentioned are the cream of the crop and even they aren’t some hugely successful titles like Nioh,Nier...etc. it isn’t a viable market where 1 out of 20 title can prove to make its money back. It will only be a matter of time until these money making tactics are considered acceptable and Nioh 2 and Nier come with them too.

• Like 1

Not my f**king problem. 

As long as Gamers keep getting wowed by high end graphics and mainstream marketing tactics.

It is our problem , because casuals keep buying those games and publishers keep finding new ways to remain profitable.

If it wasn’t for Nintendo ( let’s be honest these guys are an exception in every way) Guess what will win GoTy this year ? Not Nier , Not Nioh , Not RE7, Not Persona 5

It will be a high budget AAA game like Shadow of war or Destiny or w/e.

Am still salty when Mordor won Goty over Bayo2. Doesn’t get more obvious than that.
  • Like 2

As long as Gamers keep getting wowed by high end graphics and mainstream marketing tactics.

It is our problem , because casuals keep buying those games and publishers keep finding new ways to remain profitable.

If it wasn’t for Nintendo ( let’s be honest these guys are an exception in every way) Guess what will win GoTy this year ? Not Nier , Not Nioh , Not RE7, Not Persona 5

Am still salty when Mordor won Goty over Bayo2. Doesn’t get more obvious than that.
There is a reason why DF is so popular.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Shadoken said:

More right than right.

1 hour ago, Sach4life said:

There is a reason why DF is so popular.

Naah! That is just Zodak. There a lot of other channels /PC centric sites that go way more in-depth than those guys but hey they got a big name and console comparisons. Follow. 

5 hours ago, ALPHA17 said:

More right than right.

Naah! That is just Zodak. There a lot of other channels /PC centric sites that go way more in-depth than those guys but hey they got a big name and console comparisons. Follow. 

But people who follow those channels and want in-depth analysis aren't the ones who define what happens in the industry.

41 minutes ago, Sach4life said:

But people who follow those channels and want in-depth analysis aren't the ones who define what happens in the industry.

Neither does Digital Foundry. 

10 hours ago, Shadoken said:

When even average quality AAA games continue to be among top sellers.

You can’t expect publishers to start focusing on AA.

The reason we still keep getting high budget same same games is because that’s what people want. And that’s what sells.

The titles you guys mentioned are the cream of the crop and even they aren’t some hugely successful titles like Nioh,Nier...etc. it isn’t a viable market where 1 out of 20 title can prove to make its money back. It will only be a matter of time until these money making tactics are considered acceptable and Nioh 2 and Nier come with them too.

It is mismanagement of game budget if top seller sequels like Shadow of War and Destiny 2 require microtransactions to earn profit, while we have new IP like Horizon Zero Dawn without microtransaction.

Think of it this way. If the profitabilty of games like Shadow of War and Destiny2 is lesser than that of Mobile games and F2P which earn waaaay more profit via those models. 

Why would you even bother making these games? Especially when the overhead and risk is so much higher.

Nobody NEEDS to do it , but they are expected to do it to keep up with other game markets and models that are proving to be more profitable. Devs need to prove to the suits Why even bother funding the project. Lucrative milking tactics like this that have proven to increase profitability allow them to get more budget and higher marketing. 

Soon even AA devs will follow such tactics once one game game does it in the AA market and is proven to be successful. These AAA games are all getting so much flak now , but their profits and revenue are only going upwards. Only a matter of time until a sexy 2B butt revealing costume is hidden behind a loot box and it makes $$$$$.

Edited by Shadoken

On 30/10/2017 at 5:00 AM, ALPHA17 said:

More right than right.

WTH Mujh par kar tu finger point hamesha bina wajeh. 

Iam not the only one who post DF analysis here. When One X was not announced, PS fans here used to post DF analysis every day.  They stopped posting it now coz resolution nd frame rate doesn't matter anymore coz it's all about exclusive games now.  :P

Also Who posted GTS vs Forza analysis in GTS thread?   Not me :P

Edited by WhiteWolf

18 hours ago, ALPHA17 said:

Only if we capitulate at this juncture. Which I would admit is looking highly likely. 

Damage is already done.

According to Yoshida-san, the axis is shifting from hardware to user base. On top of that, after the purchase of a game, users can purchase items or content within the game itself, and the proportion of those sales is increasing. Yoshida-san also talked about former Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Andrew House leaving PlayStation and John Kodera stepping in his place. Since Kodera-san is the one who built up the network business, his appointment will lead to further expansion of that segment. Under his direction, Sony can strengthen the direction and improve the recurring revenue business. We also hear that third-party sales of in-game items and content is very significant for Sony as well. On the first-party side, compared to other companies, the proportion for Sony of in-game sales is still relatively low, but under Kodera-san’s leadership there will be “appropriate exploration and decisions taken in the future.”

https://www.dualshockers.com/sony-microtransactions-ps4/

"Pay $0.99 to pay respects"

• Heaven Angel changed the title to Numbers, MTx, and Fiscal sales discussion thread