Numbers, MTx, and Fiscal sales discussion thread

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, VelivolusDas said:

Hey there "Surprise Mechanics", so long.

Its just a disclosure about the probability of surprise in the surprise mechanics. We are still going to get surprised.

• 2 weeks later...

He says if sports games do this successfully it will come to other games. Well it was already tried with SWBF2 and NFS and got so badly backlashed that it started an anti-gambling campaign. So not really worried about it. Sports game fans can keep lapping this sh*t up all they want, I'm personally done with that cancer genre.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2019 at 3:52 AM, kmkaks said:

You have to pay fckn 11,000rs to get a bloody digital axe. Where is the value in this world heading to? God help us.

I would blame the idiots who pay that much money.

• 5 months later...

@Joe Cool Well they are including sports games genre - which has already widely accepted MTX, and mobiles - which can do MTX and nothing else.I guess they will have to divulge the gambling odds and scale back on MTX from now on due to the anti-gambling laws. Which is a good thing - especially considering the number of kids who play these sports games.

So long as they keep putting out games like Fallen Order, I'm satisfied.  Though I do get the feeling that the entire point Fallen Order was just for Respawn employees to develop an SP game to get the rust out of their system, prove to Disney that they are not gambling with SW franchise and to stick it to fans that they can still develop an SP game (Especially after the failure of Bioware). Which means they will go back to MTX games after this. I know it's a pessimistic outlook, but seeing EA proudly display those MTX figures - I kinda get the feeling that's what they are going for.

Their Ultimate Team mode is goldmine for almost a decade now and seem to keep getting bigger every year. It's crazy amount of $$$ just via MTX. $993 million from PC/Console MTX and $134m from mobile. I think around 60-70% of that just comes from FIFA UT. 

I don't think anti-gambling laws made any major difference or making any progress at the moment. Only Belgium has currently banned FIFA UT. Unless full EU does (unlikely), it won't make a dent. 

As for STAR WARS, surely 2 more games coming before their deal runs out with Disney. With how Fallen Order doing and deal coming to end in couple of years, they likely want to make good SW games to get their deal renewed. Disney will go with top publisher again to get as much $$$ as possible. So it will be either EA or Activision. 

Just now, Joe Cool said:

Their Ultimate Team mode is goldmine for almost a decade now and seem to keep getting bigger every year. It's crazy amount of $$$ just via MTX. $993 million from PC/Console MTX and $134m from mobile. I think around 60-70% of that just comes from FIFA UT. 

I don't think anti-gambling laws made any major difference or making any progress at the moment. Only Belgium has currently banned FIFA UT. Unless full EU does (unlikely), it won't make a dent. 

As for STAR WARS, surely 2 more games coming before their deal runs out with Disney. With how Fallen Order doing and deal coming to end in couple of years, they likely want to make good SW games to get their deal renewed. Disney will go with top publisher again to get as much $$$ as possible. So it will be either EA or Activision. 

Yup not a dent, but at least it's a start. And the issue is out there now, along with a proper precedent. So in future, all EU courts should find it easier to control the gambling (US won't do sh*t, but then again FIFA is mainly popular only in EU)

As far as Star Wars, Disney might like $$$$, but Disney is also a family company first and foremost. The entire gambling and MTX thing was done with kids in mind. And the entire controversy was centered around children. That's one thing Disney would not want on their reputation (Supporting child gambling). So I guess next time they renew, they add in the MTX clauses on the contract, or they can even go with Microsoft, which probably has a bigger $$$$ than EA/Activision, no big-time controversy plus reaching out to everyone due supporting all HW due to their latest focus on Cloud (Most probably MS will even put their games on PS I guess)

Ubisoft 

Over the past 9 months, digital represented 79.6% of bookings, up from 66.4% during the same period last year

PRI (Add On Content, DLC, MTX) = 42.5%.

Guillemot also noted that “player recurring investment” (PRI) is up significantly. PRI includes microtransactions, downloadable content, season passes, and in-game advertising. And this part of Ubisoft’s business jumped 7.4% year-over-year to €474 million ($520 million). PRI also accounted for 42.5 % of Ubisoft’s net booking compared to 32.6% in the previous year.

___

For the calendar year ended December 31, Activision Blizzard made $3.37 billion from microtransactions, which the company calls "in-game net bookings."

For the three-month quarter ended December 31, Activision Blizzard made $1.09 billion from microtransactions.

• Heaven Angel changed the title to Numbers, MTx, and Fiscal sales discussion thread