Numbers, MTx, and Fiscal sales discussion thread

55 minutes ago, roun90 said:

I apologize if this is off-topic, but I can't help but think Bayo 2 failing was the fault of Platinum itself. For the 1st game, they focused on the 360 so much that performance on PS3 failed. But PS3 had the audience for such games. Come time for Bayo 2, neither Sony nor MS gave them time of the day (because I think MS was no longer focusing on Japanese Market and Sony was soured with the Bayo 1 experience). Nintendo gave them a chance, but again no audience for the game on WiiU. So the franchise is left nowhere. It's mainly Platinum's stupidity that left the IP in such a state, I think. Such a waste, because the IP had a really great potential.

That's just my opinion though. Anyway will stop with this OT here.

They also got bitchslapped by MS with Scalebound:P

Btw I checked EA financial statements. EA has a net profit margin ie. profit after reducing taxes and interest cost and admin expenses, etc. of 20%.
Very few industries in the world enjoy such a high profit margin at that scale. Also, gross profit margin is 70%. Majority of the costs come from marketing expenses.
Doesn't look like a sinking ship to me.

I think the joke went right over you. I was talking about a private boat owned by some rich dude at EA who prolly wanted more money. Not that EA itself was sinking ship.

7 minutes ago, adity said:

I got the joke. Just stating the facts to support your statement for anyone who believes game companies are facing losses.

Nothing goes over me. My reflexes are too fast.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I understood that reference.

nothing-goes-over-my-head-my-reflexes-ar

ESRB Says It Doesn't See 'Loot Boxes' As Gambling

https://kotaku.com/esrb-says-it-doesnt-see-loot-boxes-as-gambling-1819363091

lol ESRB is full of people from EA, MS, Sony, Activision nd all.. ESRB will not do anything which affects business model of AAA publishers.

Edited by WhiteWolf

On 10/11/2017 at 3:46 AM, roun90 said:

I apologize if this is off-topic, but I can't help but think Bayo 2 failing was the fault of Platinum itself. For the 1st game, they focused on the 360 so much that performance on PS3 failed. But PS3 had the audience for such games. Come time for Bayo 2, neither Sony nor MS gave them time of the day (because I think MS was no longer focusing on Japanese Market and Sony was soured with the Bayo 1 experience). Nintendo gave them a chance, but again no audience for the game on WiiU. So the franchise is left nowhere. It's mainly Platinum's stupidity that left the IP in such a state, I think. Such a waste, because the IP had a really great potential.

That's just my opinion though. Anyway will stop with this OT here.

On 10/11/2017 at 2:59 AM, CarbonCore said:

Exactly. Let's just not pretend it's an SOS from sinking ship.

AA devs are on a sinking ship tho. They are only financially successful if they get critical acclaim. Titles like Nier A. And the sad part is thats where the most interesting games pop up. 

Indie devs benefit a lot from the various developments to Open source tech and much cheaper costs due to stuff like Unreal and Unity. AAA devs are masters of milking and manipulating. 

Its like pass mark for AA games is 85+ on meta and the other two can get away with 70+. As long as something in their game is fun and there is an audience to buy.

Edited by Shadoken

Activision Researched Using Matchmaking Tricks to Sell In-Game Items

Patent link

The system may include a microtransaction arrange matches to influence game-related purchases. For instance, the system may match a more expert/marquee player with a junior player to encourage the junior player to make game-related purchases of items possessed/used by the marquee player. A junior player may wish to emulate the marquee player by obtaining weapons or other items used by the marquee player.

43 minutes ago, CM Sunny said:

Peeps be discussing it in the Ps4 and Xbox thread.

It's still not clear to me though, 60mil including marketing or 60 mil dev cost?

$60 million + $60 million (for marketing) for the total cost of development according to the thread participants. 

On top of that, EA doubled down on the micro-transactions bullshit in Dead Space 3 and somehow that did not sell too well. I wonder why. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ALPHA17 said:

$60 million + $60 million (for marketing) for the total cost of development according to the thread participants. 

On top of that, EA doubled down on the micro-transactions bullshit in Dead Space 3 and somehow that did not sell too well. I wonder why. 

:suicide:

7 hours ago, adity said:

Uncharted 2 was made for 25 million. How can this game cost more than twice of it to make?

Different studios, locations, costs, cost of production for three platforms vs one. Lots of things to throw in that misery pot. 

11 hours ago, ALPHA17 said:

That's how a billion dollar businesses work bro, how would you know? 6xhwd8I.png

5 minutes ago, adity said:

I know. But shouldn't EA try to make games with manageable budgets so they can break even quickly. I mean, making a horror game with a massive budget and then spending a f**kton on marketing doesn't make sense to me.
First they overestimate the game's reach, spend a lot of money and then close the studio cuz it didn't perform well. That's just stupid.

Easier said than done when gamers buy into their spiel now, why change if the profits are keeping the board and the shareholders happy, who gives a damn about the consumer because the consumer sure as hell does not care and throws their money at the next predatory big-budget AAA title that rolls around the corner.

Just now, Heaven Angel said:

That's how a billion dollar businesses work bro, how would you know? 6xhwd8I.png

Yeah! That is why stopped buying into the hype. 

Edited by ALPHA17

13 minutes ago, adity said:

Basically, we can conclude that AAA games are getting sh*t because the current generation of gamers are retards.
Rock is dead. Grunge died long back.
Same with movies. Only superhero stuff these days.
Maybe the same will happen with gaming. Dominated by retard low effort games designed to sick the life out of your wallet. Not much we can do except see it slowly die.

It is not all the way there, simply vote with your wallet, do not fall for the hype generated by publishers, pick up the ones that seem interesting to you, accept them for what they are and carry on. 

I think one of the devs confirmed $60m was including marketing. So development budget is probably closer to $30m.

15 hours ago, adity said:

That makes sense. Although I think 60 million would include the marketing expense.
Uncharted 2 was made for 25 million. How can this game cost more than twice of it to make?

First party Console games have their marketing budget rolled into the general console marketing budget. Since the game markets the console and vice versa.

For example Wii Sports had a $200m marketing budget. But in reality thats actually the console's marketing not just the game.

Edited by Shadoken

In case people are still wondering why I do not buy the $60 price-tag is not fair for production these days, follow the thread, 

http://www.investopedia.com/news/why-video-game-stocks-hot-streak-may-get-hotter/, yup, you line the pockets of the rich everytime you let such bullshit monetisation scheme(s) slide.

Edited by ALPHA17

5 hours ago, adity said:

Basically, we can conclude that AAA games are getting sh*t because the current generation of gamers are retards.
Rock is dead. Grunge died long back.
Same with movies. Only superhero stuff these days.
Maybe the same will happen with gaming. Dominated by retard low effort games designed to sick the life out of your wallet. Not much we can do except see it slowly die.

Nah, there is always slack to pick up.

A lot of devs are realizing that keeping cost low and delivering near aaa quality experience free from corporate meddling is the best way to go.If you can cancel out the fluff and stick to good content and on a digital platform, it can be a profitable sector. Return of the AA :P 

Edited by CM Sunny

UK government responds to loot box concerns.

The Gambling Commission released a position paper in March 2017 detailing existing protections in place for in-game gambling, virtual currencies and loot boxes.

Source - http://www.pcgamer.com/petition-forces-the-uk-government-to-weigh-in-on-loot-boxes-and-gambling-laws/

Atleast we're going somewhere 

There's also a Petition going on for this 'loot boxes' system if anyone is unaware of 

Edited by Heaven Angel

NPD: Loot box controversy having no impact on game sales

Despite consumer outcry, the analysis firm tells GamesIndustry.biz AAA titles with microtransactions still appear among biggest sellers

Oh, look, what a surprise. JRUfMiw.png

• Heaven Angel changed the title to Numbers, MTx, and Fiscal sales discussion thread