Sign in to follow this  
mohit9206

Micro Transactions Discussion Mega Thread

18 minutes ago, Shadoken said:

Companies dont "Need" loot crates. But if people are still gonna give them money anyway. Why exactly should they say no to free money?

Exactly. Let's just not pretend it's an SOS from sinking ship.

Yeah Nier A, Yakuza 0, HZD, BotW, Persona 5, Splatoon 2 (with its constant free content updates), Resi 7, Super Mario Odyssey, Gran Turismo S, Wolfenstein 2, they're all AAA games with excellent production values coming from top publishing houses, and none of them have this loot crate bullshit. Which is why I don't believe for 2 seconds that Pubs are going bankrupt and gambling is the only way to save them. They do it because they can, not because they need to.

Bayo 2 was a great game but we won’t get a sequel :( , maybe loot boxes could have saved it lol.

Fuk I still remember 2014 goty going to sh*t titles like Mordor and inquisition.

If those are the kinda games casuals want. Am glad to see them get fked over with loot boxes.

22 minutes ago, Shadoken said:

If those are the kinda games casuals want. Am glad to see them get fked over with loot boxes.

Problem is they do not feel f**ked over. =/ 

In the end, it is us who lose with such a cavalier attitude. 

18 minutes ago, Shadoken said:

Bayo 2 was a great game but we won’t get a sequel :( , maybe loot boxes could have saved it lol.

I apologize if this is off-topic, but I can't help but think Bayo 2 failing was the fault of Platinum itself. For the 1st game, they focused on the 360 so much that performance on PS3 failed. But PS3 had the audience for such games. Come time for Bayo 2, neither Sony nor MS gave them time of the day (because I think MS was no longer focusing on Japanese Market and Sony was soured with the Bayo 1 experience). Nintendo gave them a chance, but again no audience for the game on WiiU. So the franchise is left nowhere. It's mainly Platinum's stupidity that left the IP in such a state, I think. Such a waste, because the IP had a really great potential.

That's just my opinion though. Anyway will stop with this OT here.

Edited by roun90

44 minutes ago, Shadoken said:

The only ship that’s sinking is prolly a boat some EA exec owns. So maybe he wants some extra cash to fix it.

Btw I checked EA financial statements. EA has a net profit margin ie. profit after reducing taxes and interest cost and admin expenses, etc. of 20%.

Very few industries in the world enjoy such a high profit margin at that scale. Also, gross profit margin is 70%. Majority of the costs come from marketing expenses.

Doesn't look like a sinking ship to me.

55 minutes ago, roun90 said:

I apologize if this is off-topic, but I can't help but think Bayo 2 failing was the fault of Platinum itself. For the 1st game, they focused on the 360 so much that performance on PS3 failed. But PS3 had the audience for such games. Come time for Bayo 2, neither Sony nor MS gave them time of the day (because I think MS was no longer focusing on Japanese Market and Sony was soured with the Bayo 1 experience). Nintendo gave them a chance, but again no audience for the game on WiiU. So the franchise is left nowhere. It's mainly Platinum's stupidity that left the IP in such a state, I think. Such a waste, because the IP had a really great potential.

They also got bitchslapped by MS with Scalebound:P

Btw I checked EA financial statements. EA has a net profit margin ie. profit after reducing taxes and interest cost and admin expenses, etc. of 20%.
Very few industries in the world enjoy such a high profit margin at that scale. Also, gross profit margin is 70%. Majority of the costs come from marketing expenses.
Doesn't look like a sinking ship to me.

I think the joke went right over you. I was talking about a private boat owned by some rich dude at EA who prolly wanted more money. Not that EA itself was sinking ship.

I think the joke went right over you. I was talking about a private boat owned by some rich dude at EA who prolly wanted more money. Not that EA itself was sinking ship.

I got the joke. Just stating the facts to support your statement for anyone who believes game companies are facing losses.

Nothing goes over me. My reflexes are too fast.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, adity said:

I got the joke. Just stating the facts to support your statement for anyone who believes game companies are facing losses.

Nothing goes over me. My reflexes are too fast.

I understood that reference.

nothing-goes-over-my-head-my-reflexes-ar

• Like 1

ESRB Says It Doesn't See 'Loot Boxes' As Gambling

https://kotaku.com/esrb-says-it-doesnt-see-loot-boxes-as-gambling-1819363091

lol ESRB is full of people from EA, MS, Sony, Activision nd all.. ESRB will not do anything which affects business model of AAA publishers.

Edited by WhiteWolf

2 hours ago, WhiteWolf said:

ESRB Says It Doesn't See 'Loot Boxes' As Gambling

https://kotaku.com/esrb-says-it-doesnt-see-loot-boxes-as-gambling-1819363091

lol ESRB is full of people from EA, MS, Sony, Activision nd all.. ESRB will do anything which affects business model of AAA publishers.

ESRB was literally formed by them. It is not a government agency. It was made to preemptively start rating games so that government doesn't start doing it.

On 10/11/2017 at 3:46 AM, roun90 said:

On 10/11/2017 at 2:59 AM, CarbonCore said:

Exactly. Let's just not pretend it's an SOS from sinking ship.

AA devs are on a sinking ship tho. They are only financially successful if they get critical acclaim. Titles like Nier A. And the sad part is thats where the most interesting games pop up. 

Indie devs benefit a lot from the various developments to Open source tech and much cheaper costs due to stuff like Unreal and Unity. AAA devs are masters of milking and manipulating. 

Its like pass mark for AA games is 85+ on meta and the other two can get away with 70+. As long as something in their game is fun and there is an audience to buy.

Edited by Shadoken

3 hours ago, Shadoken said:

Peeps be discussing it in the Ps4 and Xbox thread.

It's still not clear to me though, 60mil including marketing or 60 mil dev cost?

Edited by CM Sunny

Activision Researched Using Matchmaking Tricks to Sell In-Game Items

Patent link

The system may include a microtransaction arrange matches to influence game-related purchases. For instance, the system may match a more expert/marquee player with a junior player to encourage the junior player to make game-related purchases of items possessed/used by the marquee player. A junior player may wish to emulate the marquee player by obtaining weapons or other items used by the marquee player.

43 minutes ago, CM Sunny said:

Peeps be discussing it in the Ps4 and Xbox thread.

It's still not clear to me though, 60mil including marketing or 60 mil dev cost?

$60 million + $60 million (for marketing) for the total cost of development according to the thread participants. 

On top of that, EA doubled down on the micro-transactions bullshit in Dead Space 3 and somehow that did not sell too well. I wonder why. 

• Like 1

$60 million + $60 million (for marketing) for the total cost of development according to the thread participants. 

On top of that, EA doubled down on the micro-transactions bullshit in Dead Space 3 and somehow that did not sell too well. I wonder why. 
That makes sense. Although I think 60 million would include the marketing expense.
Uncharted 2 was made for 25 million. How can this game cost more than twice of it to make?