Sign in to follow this  
mohit9206

Micro Transactions Discussion Mega Thread

37 minutes ago, ALPHA17 said:

$60 million + $60 million (for marketing) for the total cost of development according to the thread participants. 

On top of that, EA doubled down on the micro-transactions bullshit in Dead Space 3 and somehow that did not sell too well. I wonder why. 

:suicide:

7 hours ago, adity said:

Uncharted 2 was made for 25 million. How can this game cost more than twice of it to make?

Different studios, locations, costs, cost of production for three platforms vs one. Lots of things to throw in that misery pot. 

Different studios, locations, costs, cost of production for three platforms vs one. Lots of things to throw in that misery pot. 
I know. But shouldn't EA try to make games with manageable budgets so they can break even quickly. I mean, making a horror game with a massive budget and then spending a f**kton on marketing doesn't make sense to me.
First they overestimate the game's reach, spend a lot of money and then close the studio cuz it didn't perform well. That's just stupid.

All big movie studios use profits from big budget blockbusters to make smaller experimental movies.
It should be the same with games.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, ALPHA17 said:

$60 million + $60 million (for marketing) for the total cost of development according to the thread participants. 

On top of that, EA doubled down on the micro-transactions bullshit in Dead Space 3 and somehow that did not sell too well. I wonder why. 

That's how a billion dollar businesses work bro, how would you know? 6xhwd8I.png

5 minutes ago, adity said:

I know. But shouldn't EA try to make games with manageable budgets so they can break even quickly. I mean, making a horror game with a massive budget and then spending a f**kton on marketing doesn't make sense to me.
First they overestimate the game's reach, spend a lot of money and then close the studio cuz it didn't perform well. That's just stupid.

Easier said than done when gamers buy into their spiel now, why change if the profits are keeping the board and the shareholders happy, who gives a damn about the consumer because the consumer sure as hell does not care and throws their money at the next predatory big-budget AAA title that rolls around the corner.

Just now, Heaven Angel said:

That's how a billion dollar businesses work bro, how would you know? 6xhwd8I.png

Yeah! That is why stopped buying into the hype. 

Edited by ALPHA17

Yeah! That is why stopped buying into the hype. 
Basically, we can conclude that AAA games are getting sh*t because the current generation of gamers are retards.
Rock is dead. Grunge died long back.
Same with movies. Only superhero stuff these days.
Maybe the same will happen with gaming. Dominated by retard low effort games designed to sick the life out of your wallet. Not much we can do except see it slowly die.

13 minutes ago, adity said:

Basically, we can conclude that AAA games are getting sh*t because the current generation of gamers are retards.
Maybe the same will happen with gaming. Dominated by retard low effort games designed to sick the life out of your wallet. Not much we can do except see it slowly die.

It is not all the way there, simply vote with your wallet, do not fall for the hype generated by publishers, pick up the ones that seem interesting to you, accept them for what they are and carry on. 

I think one of the devs confirmed $60m was including marketing. So development budget is probably closer to $30m.

15 hours ago, adity said:

That makes sense. Although I think 60 million would include the marketing expense.
Uncharted 2 was made for 25 million. How can this game cost more than twice of it to make?

First party Console games have their marketing budget rolled into the general console marketing budget. Since the game markets the console and vice versa.

For example Wii Sports had a $200m marketing budget. But in reality thats actually the console's marketing not just the game.

Edited by Shadoken

In case people are still wondering why I do not buy the $60 price-tag is not fair for production these days, follow the thread, 

http://www.investopedia.com/news/why-video-game-stocks-hot-streak-may-get-hotter/, yup, you line the pockets of the rich everytime you let such bullshit monetisation scheme(s) slide.

Edited by ALPHA17

5 hours ago, adity said:

Nah, there is always slack to pick up.

A lot of devs are realizing that keeping cost low and delivering near aaa quality experience free from corporate meddling is the best way to go.If you can cancel out the fluff and stick to good content and on a digital platform, it can be a profitable sector. Return of the AA :P 

Edited by CM Sunny

UK government responds to loot box concerns.

The Gambling Commission released a position paper in March 2017 detailing existing protections in place for in-game gambling, virtual currencies and loot boxes.

Source - http://www.pcgamer.com/petition-forces-the-uk-government-to-weigh-in-on-loot-boxes-and-gambling-laws/

Atleast we're going somewhere 

There's also a Petition going on for this 'loot boxes' system if anyone is unaware of 

Edited by Heaven Angel

UK government responds to loot box concerns.

The Gambling Commission released a position paper in March 2017 detailing existing protections in place for in-game gambling, virtual currencies and loot boxes.

Source - http://www.pcgamer.com/petition-forces-the-uk-government-to-weigh-in-on-loot-boxes-and-gambling-laws/

Atleast we're going somewhere 

There's also a Petition going on for this 'loot boxes' system if anyone is unaware of 

Good move.

NPD: Loot box controversy having no impact on game sales

Despite consumer outcry, the analysis firm tells GamesIndustry.biz AAA titles with microtransactions still appear among biggest sellers

Oh, look, what a surprise. JRUfMiw.png
It isn't a surprise at all cuz the mainstream is retard.
These are the same people who used to burn witches and outrage against Newton.

4 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

NPD: Loot box controversy having no impact on game sales

Despite consumer outcry, the analysis firm tells GamesIndustry.biz AAA titles with microtransactions still appear among biggest sellers

Oh, look, what a surprise. JRUfMiw.png

You can make difference by not buying games like SW BF 2 :P

Buying less won't help. As far as they make a by the books AAA game they know they can get the casual/regular buyers through marketing alone. Buying more from developers who do not stand with this practice and making their games profitable might turn away some devs from this but yeah going back is going to be hard.