DRAGON QUEST XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age & Definitive Edition

Heaven Angel

@KyoyaHibari The game is meant to help you relax. Everything, right from the music, graphics and gameplay is designed to help you relax. It's an old school JRPG with old mechanics, updated for modern times. That's a huge part of the charm of this game. The story will have twists and turns. It does get very good and intense later on. But remember, this is a very long game. I had played it for 91 hours or so when I finished. You have to have patience till the twists arrive.

I loved this game, more than Detroit definitely. But if you don't like JRPGs or did not play them while growing up, this game might not be for you. Play Persona 5 if you want a more modern turn based game that you will like. Or play Yakuza, if you want an excellent, mature story and amazing open-world gameplay with literal tons of things to do.

I played a fair share of jrpgs, and I was certainly not expecting dark souls or yakuza here. I knew what I was getting into. 

The main reason I play jrpgs despite their many shortcomings is because they offer a unique experience. Kind of like ff12 I played a while ago. It has tons of customization options and a very unique world design. And it’s like a decade old game.

This game so far has been a complete brain dead experience. Very simple combat and not a lot of character customization(not looks, but skill trees and attributes etc). So far in my 15-20 hrs of playtime I never had to make a single decision, the attributes automatically assign and the skill tree is super straightforward like in Yakuza or even DMC. 

I do like story, Toriyama character designs, environments and seeing kids play around in every town I visit is cute. So I’ll play to the end but wish the combat and customization was a bit more enjoyable. Maybe I’ll look for a easy way to level up, seems I could straight up run to boss fights. 

Edited by KyoyaHibari

4 hours ago, KyoyaHibari said:

Got to the true final boss post game, but I’m at levels 47-48s on characters. Got killed before I could even got a turn to attack :rolleyes: Apparently you’d have to be about level 70s to beat him. Thinking weather I should grind or just watch a YouTube ending. 

Great. Now sell the game to me. 

:P

Edited by Playstationdude
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

I've just started this one. I'm not gonna be annoyed with turn-based combat, its a fundamental of JRPGs, but I don't like the fact that I need to press x after every dialogue.

Why cant they just say everything in one go....

The world does look beautiful, I'm sure Ill be hooked if I spend 2-3 hours :) 

2 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

So you actually read instead of skipping all dialogues. Not everything has voice-over in JRPG games. You read text -> press X when done. 

Yeah, its a lil bit annoying. 

I've just gotten out of the habit of playing games like that after countless hours in RDR2 haha 

As I said, it probably wont be any trouble after my initial hours.

Did you play the game when it came out? 

Edit: Saw your comment on the NNK2 thread, and guess that means you really liked it. 

Edited by Chirag2001

46 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

Yeah, its a lil bit annoying. 

I've just gotten out of the habit of playing games like that after countless hours in RDR2 haha 

As I said, it probably wont be any trouble after my initial hours.

Did you play the game when it came out? 

Edit: Saw your comment on the NNK2 thread, and guess that means you really liked it. 

Over the time I ended up liking this feature. More patient with reading and moving at my own pace. I don't mind not having full voice over anymore nor have to reload in-case I didn't hear or missed out on a dialogue. Reading and pressing X when done has solved that problem for me combined with soothing music. 

Honestly at first I thought this game would be mediocre (even though I made the thread) but ended up surpassing my expectations. Really good and really fun to play at your own pace. Way more than NNK 2 and I loved that game a lot. This is just better. 

Can't wait for Dragon Quest XII. ?

1 hour ago, Joe Cool said:

Over the time I ended up liking this feature. More patient with reading and moving at my own pace. I don't mind not having full voice over anymore nor have to reload in-case I didn't hear or missed out on a dialogue. Reading and pressing X when done has solved that problem for me combined with soothing music. 

Honestly at first I thought this game would be mediocre (even though I made the thread) but ended up surpassing my expectations. Really good and really fun to play at your own pace. Way more than NNK 2 and I loved that game a lot. This is just better. 

Can't wait for Dragon Quest XII. ?

I've only done the first task, and the preface of the story seems very typical and RPG-esque. 

Exactly what I want. 

Quite willing to sink a 100 hours into this, and maybe get the Plat by the end if I really enjoy it.

11 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

It gets even better as you progress. 

Sounds good.

I like how they presented us with the guy+girl right in the beginning, and I'm guessing she'll be our companion in all our adventures, which is good.

Gemma is pretty likeable.

Now I have to make my way from Cobblestone to Heliodor. 

• 3 weeks later...

Infinity Strash – Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai is one of three upcoming games part of the Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai project

Looks like a spin-off trilogy project. No turn based is really a bummer. Hopefully decent DQ game while we wait for DQ XII. ?

1 hour ago, playstationdude said:

Oh yeah! Action RPG DQ is the best DQ!:punk:

All the good/iconic DQ games have been turn based jrpgs, not action rpgs. This is where DQ has been different from FF games. They have hardly deviated from their traditional roots and i hope they don't. We hardly have any good turn-based jrpgs now. DQ11 was fantastic. 

5 minutes ago, Sach4life said:

All the good/iconic DQ games have been turn based jrpgs, not action rpgs. This is where DQ has been different from FF games. They have hardly deviated from their traditional roots and i hope they don't. We hardly have any good turn-based jrpgs now. DQ11 was fantastic. 

Turn based gameplay belongs in the 90s. The combat system of FF7 remake (hybrid of turn based and action rpg) is the true evolution. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcolhrG3iVN9s6Zbgr7eo

:P

Edited by playstationdude

• Heaven Angel changed the title to DRAGON QUEST XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age & Definitive Edition