DRAGON QUEST XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age & Definitive Edition

Heaven Angel

2 hours ago, playstationdude said:

Oh yeah! Action RPG DQ is the best DQ!:punk:

1 hour ago, Sach4life said:

All the good/iconic DQ games have been turn based jrpgs, not action rpgs. This is where DQ has been different from FF games. They have hardly deviated from their traditional roots and i hope they don't. We hardly have any good turn-based jrpgs now. DQ11 was fantastic. 

JRPG devs are trying out both action and turn based entries in their franchises  -  Persona (turn based) has Persona Scramble (action) , Yakuza (action) has Yakuza 7 (turn based). Dragon Quest Infinity Strash is action based game spin-off and DQ12 will likely be turn based again. Also, Falcom keeps releasing awesome The Legend of Heroes games with turn based gameplay and Ys games with action gameplay. There is market for both type of games to co-exist.

Edited by GeraltOfRivia

JRPG devs are trying out both action and turn based entries in their franchises  -  Persona (turn based) has Persona Scramble (action) , Yakuza (action) has Yakuza 7 (turn based). Dragon Quest Infinity Strash is action based game spin-off and DQ12 will likely be turn based again. Also, Falcom keeps releasing awesome The Legend of Heroes games with turn based gameplay and YS games with action gameplay. There is market for both type of games to co-exist.
I am fine with that. Problem i have is when people start clamouring for every game to move away from turn based combat system.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

Turn-based over awesome button combat all day every day. Action RPGs gets boring when it offers so little variety and often ends up in repetition. 

Also both Persona 5 and DQ11 are better than FF7. ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

Turn-based over awesome button combat all day every day. Action RPGs gets boring when it offers so little variety and often ends up in repetition. 

:rofl:

17 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

And for many, Witcher/DarkSouls/Bloodborne/FF7R  are better than Persona5/DQ11.. there is no need to compare, everyone has their preference.

2 minutes ago, GeraltOfRivia said:

And for many, Witcher/DarkSouls/Bloodborne/FF7R  are better than Persona5/DQ11.. there is no need to compare, everyone has their preference.

The comparison is between turn based games and how they are moving towards action combat. Turn-Based high profile RPGs are a rarity these days. I wouldn't want traditional TB games move towards action. We already have plenty of them. 

17 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

:rofl:

You have played none of those games...just like The Last of Us, but continue trolling. ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

The comparison is between turn based games and how they are moving towards action combat. Turn-Based high profile RPGs are a rarity these days. I wouldn't want traditional TB games move towards action. We already have plenty of them.

I get your concern but I think Final Fantasy is the only franchise that changed from turn based to action for mainline entries, and hopefully they will come around for another turn based entry.
For Dragon Quest though, I am sure 12th one will be turn based again.

Just now, GeraltOfRivia said:

I get your concern but I think Final Fantasy is the only franchise that changed from turn based to action for mainline entries, and hopefully they will come around for another turn based entry.
For Dragon Quest though, I am sure 12th one will be turn based again.

It is not just about franchises which have turned away from turn based combat, the thing is that there were so many fantastic turn based JRPG franchises (like Suikoden, Wild Arms etc.) which cease to exist now.

5 hours ago, GeraltOfRivia said:

JRPG devs are trying out both action and turn based entries in their franchises  -  Persona (turn based) has Persona Scramble (action) , Yakuza (action) has Yakuza 7 (turn based). Dragon Quest Infinity Strash is action based game spin-off and DQ12 will likely be turn based again. Also, Falcom keeps releasing awesome The Legend of Heroes games with turn based gameplay and Ys games with action gameplay. There is market for both type of games to co-exist.

You should not speak of Persona. They try out every type of gameplay, not just Action. And if you include the non-Persona titles - you literally have almost all types of gameplay. You have mainline Persona Games (JRPG), Persona Scramble (Musou/Dynasty Warriors), Persona Arena (Fighting game like SoulCalibur/Tekken), Persona Dancing (Dancing/Rythm Game), Persona Q (Dungeon Crawler), Persona 4 The Card Battle (Mobile Card Game). I think the only spin-offs left are Racing Games, MMO, Cooking Game, Farming Sim, FPS and TPS. And that might be coming soon enough as well. They also have Persona manga, anime, music concerts (Including cosplay concerts) and live action shows. If there is one thing Atlus does - it's milk Persona a lot.

As far as Dragon Quest is concerned, this is not the first time the series has gone out of Turn Based JRPG. You have Dragon Quest Heroes (Musou/ Dynasty Warriors Type Game) and Dragon Quest Builders ( Construction Game).

So long as these games are spin-offs it's absolutely fine. these are just quick cash-grabs (Including Infinity Slash), nothing more. And most of the time, these are all given to 3rd party devs to develop. The main dev team does not work on these (For both Persona and DQ). So for all you guys - no need to get worked up.

Edited by roun90

39 minutes ago, roun90 said:

You should not speak of Persona. They try out every type of gameplay, not just Action. And if you include the non-Persona titles - you literally have almost all types of gameplay. You have mainline Persona Games (JRPG), Persona Scramble (Musou/Dynasty Warriors), Persona Arena (Fighting game like SoulCalibur/Tekken), Persona Dancing (Dancing/Rythm Game), Persona Q (Dungeon Crawler), Persona 4 The Card Battle (Mobile Card Game). I think the only spin-offs left are Racing Games, MMO, Cooking Game, Farming Sim, FPS and TPS. And that might be coming soon enough as well. They also have Persona manga, anime, music concerts (Including cosplay concerts) and live action shows. If there is one thing Atlus does - it's milk Persona a lot.

As far as Dragon Quest is concerned, this is not the first time the series has gone out of Turn Based JRPG. You have Dragon Quest Heroes (Musou/ Dynasty Warriors Type Game) and Dragon Quest Builders ( Construction Game).

So long as these games are spin-offs it's absolutely fine. these are just quick cash-grabs (Including Infinity Slash), nothing more. And most of the time, these are all given to 3rd party devs to develop. The main dev team does not work on these (For both Persona and DQ). So for all you guys - no need to get worked up.

I am not worked up about spin offs and gave example of turn based (mainline) Persona series having recent action based spin off to compare it with the same thing happening for Dragon Quest with Infinity Strash spin off. So, I don't understand why you feel that I should not speak of Persona.

Edited by GeraltOfRivia

1 hour ago, GeraltOfRivia said:

I am not worked up about spin offs and gave example of turn based (mainline) Persona series having recent action based spin off to compare it with the same thing happening for Dragon Quest with Infinity Strash spin off. So, I don't understand why you feel that I should not speak of Persona.

Sorry, that was a hyperbole. I didn't literally mean you shouldn't speak about Persona.

Anyway, Infinity Slash seems like a spin-off. It's not a mainline numbered DQ Title. So don't get why some people are having problems with it's gameplay.

• 1 month later...

December 4 :wOOtjumpy:

What’s new with Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition?

Already a genuinely fantastic game, the Definitive Edition makes it even better with enhanced and refined features, including additional story content and a fully orchestrated soundtrack.

Here are just some of the additions:

• New side stories for companions – Dragon Quest XI has some of the most charming characters of any RPG. This edition of game includes new side stories and adventures that weren’t in the original release, so you can get to know them better than ever.
  • 2D mode – You can play the game with either beautifully detailed 3D graphics, but if you want to celebrate the series’ roots, you can also play the entire adventure in retro-inspired 2D. You can even switch between the styles mid-adventure.
  • 16-bit World of Tickington – this optional activity lets you visit locations from previous Dragon Quest worlds, full of characters to talk to and quests to complete.
  • Japanese audio – You can now play the entire game, including the additional content, with a new Japanese voice track
  • Photo mode – As you can tell from the screenshots, Dragon Quest XI is a real pretty game. Now you can immortalize your adventures with a comprehensive photo mode. You can rearrange characters, make them pose, change angles and much more.

• 2 months later...

The Definitive Edition includes the critically acclaimed DRAGON QUEST XI, plus additional story scenarios, Japanese or English voiceover, 2D mode and more! Whether you are a longtime fan or a new adventurer, this is the ultimate DQXI experience.

December 4. ?

• Heaven Angel changed the title to DRAGON QUEST XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age & Definitive Edition

Dragon Quest XI and XI S surpass 6 million in shipments and digital sales worldwide

Square Enix announced that Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age has surpassed 6 million copies worldwide in total, combined from both physical shipments and digital sales.

This figure combines all copies from the original Dragon Quest XI—available on the PS4 worldwide, 3DS in only Japan, and Steam in everywhere but Japan—which sold over 2 million copies in Japan alone within just two days after release and 4 million copies after the worldwide launch as of November 2018, and the enhanced Dragon Quest XI S that is currently available on the Switch.