God of War

Big Boss

2 minutes ago, Masterjack said:

Not feeling it with the axe :(  why did they have to make it a Rpg and  change the camera angle?

I want my old kratos back !!!

Well at least you can be happy. He is an "old kratos" :lol:

I'm really not satisfied with the combat system either. The visuals undoubtedly look amazing, which is expected, but the combat seems very basic with the axe swings and shield block. Then there is the kid's constant yapping throughout the fight; really annoying.

The demo for God of War III is how it should be done to get the game insta-sold. It showed literally everything right about the combat system, which was quickly over-shadowed by the enemies and bosses they put in and this was all in 30 mins. That was practically the only footage shown to public and provided as a demo. 

It's never been the same unfortunately. Even Ascension failed to impress in that respect. I hope they can provide a small playable demo for this game too. I'll hold off on the day-1 purchase and perhaps pick it up later on a sale or something. 

6 minutes ago, Ethan_Hunt said:

I'm really not satisfied with the combat system either. The visuals undoubtedly look amazing, which is expected, but the combat seems very basic with the axe swings and shield block. Then there is the kid's constant yapping throughout the fight; really annoying.

The demo for God of War III is how it should be done to get the game insta-sold. It showed literally everything right about the combat system, which was quickly over-shadowed by the enemies and bosses they put in and this was all in 30 mins. That was practically the only footage shown to public and provided as a demo. 

It's never been the same unfortunately. Even Ascension failed to impress in that respect. I hope they can provide a small playable demo for this game too. I'll hold off on the day-1 purchase and perhaps pick it up later on a sale or something. 

I have the same thoughts about the combat, though I wasn't going to purchase day 1 anyway. :P

22 minutes ago, Ethan_Hunt said:

Dumbed down as expected. And that retard kid is annoying indeed. 

Also, who came up with the UI and HP bars. Jeez. 

Yeah they want you to have all the combos and jugglers and finishers and real time weapon switching and magic in first 10 min :lol:

The only thing you could do in previous GoW once the game actually starts after first fight is square, square, triangle and QTE finishers. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, KnackChap said:

surprised they showed the boss battle with Thor right at the start. i bet that his leviathan axe is made from thor's mjolnir after he kills him in the opening scene. :panic:

Wait what wait what wait what wait what

:panic::panic::panic::panic::panic:

14 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

Yeah they want you to have all the combos and jugglers and finishers and real time weapon switching and magic in first 10 min :lol:

The only thing you could do in previous GoW once the game actually starts after first fight is square, square, triangle and QTE finishers. 

most of us did that not for the first 20-30 mins but for the full duration of 6 games and will do in this game too once he removes the bandages :fear1:. wasn't fond of the axe when they first revealed it but it has grown on me since. esp how visceral and up close kratos gets in this unlike the crowd control combos from the previous game. 

only thing i didnt like in the demo was the controls mapped to R1, R2 but then i remembered even souls and BB has the same, so no big deal. 

First 10 minutes? The gameplay footage shown is a lot more than that for this game. The only thing we have seen is axe swing (left, right & downward slash), axe throw/retract & shield parry/block. This is all combined with a camera angle with a rather narrow FoV and extremely close to the character. I'm not marking it down, but it just seems like a massive switch from the previous titles where the camera was aptly placed and the combat system was extremely fluid.

If you're referring to a game's introduction section, then God of War III provided multitude of combos with the Blades of Athena alone. Plume of Prometheus was a consistent crowd favourite. You could do aerial lift combos with Olympic Ascension, Grapple combos which included sprinting bash with the enemy or ripping them in half with triangle and this was just at base level of the blades. 

From a story perspective and the character's age, I respect the decision, but that doesn't mean it will appeal to everyone. It's not bad, just paced slower than the previous games. 

^Yes it is first 10 min of combat. When you reach the vendor you get your first axe upgrade and that alone change the way he fights. At the beginning of GoW3 you are fully upgraded with all combos unlocked. Once you're stripped of that you get some residual upgrade from GoW2 and that's it. Btw square, square, triangle literally is Plume of Prometheus :P The rest are QTE finishers like I said. No parry, no fisticuffs, no ranged combat.

17 minutes ago, KnackChap said:

only thing i didnt like in the demo was the controls mapped to R1, R2 but then i remembered even souls and BB has the same, so no big deal. 

Bloodborne with FF button pressed

9QBqgZ.gif

Those who are not "FEELING" the game should wait for the release and reviews and watch some gameplay videos before making the decisions.  Cory has already said in one of his very first interviews that Sony was not interested in making just another GOW unless something totally new and overhauled idea was suggested. 

6 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

^Yes it is first 10 min of combat. When you reach the vendor you get your first axe upgrade and that alone change the way he fights. At the beginning of GoW3 you are fully upgraded with all combos unlocked. Once you're stripped of that you get some residual upgrade from GoW2 and that's it. Btw square, square, triangle literally is Plume of Prometheus :P The rest are QTE finishers like I said. No parry, no fisticuffs, no ranged combat.

I know it's Plume of Prometheus. :P 

Even post his fall into the River of Styx and getting the Blades of Exile, he can perform those moves listed above along with Hyperion Ram. Parry is never stripped, it's a part of your standard gameplay mechanic. ;)

Did I forget to mention the Magic meter move from R2? A rather short but neat move. 

Rage of Sparta is available in both with God of War III just whipping out the Blade of Olympus. 

24 minutes ago, Ethan_Hunt said:

Parry is never stripped, it's a part of your standard gameplay mechanic. ;)

It is in GoW3 but even then its not useful until you upgrade it later. The one shown here actually looks like part of combo chain.

12 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

It is in GoW3 but even then its not useful until you upgrade it later. The one shown here actually looks like part of combo chain.

To be honest, in all my play-throughs I've hardly used parry at all as my timing sucks. Counters have never been my forte. But it seems to bode well with the shield combination out here. The game has a good Horizon-ish feel. I like the new voice over for Kratos, which seems more reserved and balance as opposed to Carson's grunt like tone. Good choice out there.

It would be interesting to see this side of Kratos where he is not a constant vengeance craving person. 

1 hour ago, waveking said:

Combat looks pretty bland and clunky. Nothing that I didn't expect though. 

Yeah expectations are pretty low after Ascension. But just because you had one shtty sequel like Avengers 2 doesn't mean next one will be shitty too.