God of War

Big Boss

Haven't played GoW 1 and 2 so I can't imagine how awesome they must be cuz I thought GoW 3 was f**king epic. 
Agreed GOW 3 and 2 were by far the best of the series. The story, the anger, the feeling of being a total badass was beyond words.

Sent from my ASUS_I001DE using Tapatalk

For me 

God of war 1 > God of war 2 >>> God of war 3 > Ghost of Sparta >> Chains of Olympus

Ghost of Sparta was great and and much better story than god of war 3, only because of the number of boss battles 3 edges.

Ares favorite fight in the whole series : the epicness of turning to his size and the psychological element where you save your wife and child from kratos clones was perfect.

14 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

Ares favorite fight in the whole series : the epicness of turning to his size and the psychological element where you save your wife and child from kratos clones was perfect.

Oh man, that sequence was so f**king awesome! Just thinking about it is giving me chills. You know whatever you're doing is futile and yet you try your darnedest to save them because the story actually made you care (unlike in GOW3 where you didn't give two shits about whatever was happening). Even the background score in that sequence was epic.

And of course, by the time the Ares boss fight ensues, you want nothing more than to f**k his sh*t up!

1 hour ago, STICK3Rboy said:

Oh man, that sequence was so f**king awesome! Just thinking about it is giving me chills. You know whatever you're doing is futile and yet you try your darnedest to save them because the story actually made you care (unlike in GOW3 where you didn't give two shits about whatever was happening). Even the background score in that sequence was epic.

And of course, by the time the Ares boss fight ensues, you want nothing more than to f**k his sh*t up!

The desert sirens as well : next level.

You have to listen to the music to follow and find the sirens, the music grows stronger as you get close to them.

The new god of war also has a hearing sequence but bad, it is like one way you can hear the boy and another way you cannot.

I used to believe 2 was the best part because of the story and increase in scale but the first really has the best level design and also better puzzles.

Yes , in 3, by the end and after just killing each and every god you no longer care and lose interest a bit and that dad daughter thing with kratos felt very forced.

Edited by GunnerY2J
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

GoW 2 was the sh*t, still my favorite of the bunch. That opening has never been topped, not even by GoW 3. And the end boss fight with Zeus is better than the Smash Bros version in GoW 3.

I suspect Zeus battle in god of war 2 felt a disappointment to most then.

That part where he gets big and again big wasn't liked much. 

Hades was the best in 3 though.

I suspect Zeus battle in god of war 2 felt a disappointment to most then.
That part where he gets big and again big wasn't liked much. 

Hades was the best in 3 though.
The boss battles were better in 3 but 2 was still super badass for the scale, structure, story, gameplay. And all of this was pulled off on the final days of the PS2 lifecycle which I and many more people consider the GOAT console just made it that much special.

22 minutes ago, i_rock098 said:

The boss battles were better in 3 but 2 was still super badass for the scale, structure, story, gameplay. And all of this was pulled off on the final days of the PS2 lifecycle which I and many more people consider the GOAT console just made it that much special.

Pulled off on a GPU with 0.15 Ghz clock speed and 4MB Vram. 4 megabytes is smaller than most Whatsapp videos shared today.

Pulled off on a GPU with 0.15 Ghz clock speed and 4MB Vram. 4 megabytes is smaller than most Whatsapp videos shared today.
Damn that's crazy, that game was a technology marvel on how good it looked. Only Sony could have pulled off something like that. Even by today's standard the game looks pretty decent. It has aged well.

33 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

Yes, the older ones were better :fear:

Nah that’s a blanket statement, it all depends on preference? 

For me, being a sucker for stories and narrative, I enjoyed the cohesion between narrative and action in the new God of War,

I don’t know bro, it just feels like the series evolved with me, I.e as a teen I loved to mash buttons and fight and did not give two hoots about stories in video games but now, as I grow I feel this need to connect with the world, the music, and the setting in games. Pure Mindless button mashing just doesn’t cut it for me anymore.

2 hours ago, kmkaks said:

For me, being a sucker for stories and narrative, I enjoyed the cohesion between narrative and action in the new God of War,

I don’t know bro, it just feels like the series evolved with me, I.e as a teen I loved to mash buttons and fight and did not give two hoots about stories in video games but now, as I grow I feel this need to connect with the world, the music, and the setting in games. Pure Mindless button mashing just doesn’t cut it for me anymore.

Not only the older ones more fun,they were a fair challenge on higher difficulties.

The new one on high difficulty is not fun at all, just grindy - boss fights and enemies have too much health and a small enemy kills the god of war in two hits.

And you are telling as if there was no story in the older games.

They were way more epic in their story,

The new one was just more dialogue and movie like based, the older ones still had a better story.

2 hours ago, kmkaks said:

You're probably basing your opinion on the story of the older games from GOW3 alone, which didn't really have much of a story.

The first two GOW games had great stories with the original still having the best story in the series IMO. It can even stand on its own as a self-contained title.

That said, I do think that the 2018 GOW has better characters though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ok, I'm in chapter 3 i think, in that alfeim/lake of light area, and man those flying elves are getting on my nerves .... they are so damn fast, attack in groups and keep dodging/blocking .... any easy strategy to take 'em down ? 

Edited by Ne0

2 hours ago, Ne0 said:

ok, I'm in chapter 3 i think, in that alfeim/lake of light area, and man those flying elves are getting on my nerves .... they are so damn fast, attack in groups and keep dodging/blocking .... any easy strategy to take 'em down ? 

Even I'm playing this now (for the first time) and I just started Chapter 4. There's no specific strategy that I could think of, except for relying on parrying in the best way possible.

Also, using Atreus' arrows helps a lot, too. Combines effortlessly as a mid-point during Kratos' Light + Heavy combos.

For groups, check if you have equipped some rune attacks which allow you to do some area attacks. There's one that stuns multiple of them. However, I must add, that timing them right would be crucial for it to be effective.

BTW, what difficulty are you playing on? I'm playing on Normal and overall, it's just the right amount of challenge. Nothing too difficult or frustrating.

-----

About the game, it's sooooo much better in terms of how the narrative is paced, compared to previous GoW games. I have never liked any of the previous games (tried playing multiple times over several years but just can't play post 2-3 hours of the first game).

It borrows heavily from UC4 and TLoU (not complaining at all) and it's very evident.

Also, the combat is ?. The weight of the character, the animations and the movements really are something else. A lot of care has gone in the game and it's evident with every passing moment.

The side-quests are simply, kinda meh. Totally unnecessary, IMO. Barely adds anything to the overall game. Seems kinda tacked-on.

The main story however, is very intriguing and there's an instant connect I felt with the characters. This wasn't the case with the old GoW games. In those games, Kratos is just mindlessly killing and killing with no end in sight (at least the game doesn't make it clear). Here, I love the calm and composed Kratos who has a sense of responsibility.

Overall, loving the game and looking forward to the story.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

^^ the story is definitely a plus point, and very intriguing.  But I've mixed opinions about the environment, while it's gorgeous no doubt, it feels like more of a sci-fi setting than a gow setting.  Still in that alfiem ruins , and the env for some reason reminds me of the halo series !