God of War

Big Boss

^^ same. I got the Halo vibe too in that area. 

Btw MAX out BOI before anything else. He is super useful throughout the game. Overall game is harder on normal than previous games, but the challenges are much easier. Also Queens are the true bosses tbh, but overall yeah I think this game only lacked the boss fight vibe of previous gow games. It feels even more noticeable because gow3 was one "epic best boss battle ever" after another. 

This is my favourite Gow now though. Exactly the perfect experience. No other way they could have done it better. Part 2 will make up for the missing boss battles in this one I am sure. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 12:59 AM, VelivolusDas said:

Even I'm playing this now (for the first time) and I just started Chapter 4. There's no specific strategy that I could think of, except for relying on parrying in the best way possible.

Also, using Atreus' arrows helps a lot, too. Combines effortlessly as a mid-point during Kratos' Light + Heavy combos.

For groups, check if you have equipped some rune attacks which allow you to do some area attacks. There's one that stuns multiple of them. However, I must add, that timing them right would be crucial for it to be effective.

BTW, what difficulty are you playing on? I'm playing on Normal and overall, it's just the right amount of challenge. Nothing too difficult or frustrating.

-----

About the game, it's sooooo much better in terms of how the narrative is paced, compared to previous GoW games. I have never liked any of the previous games (tried playing multiple times over several years but just can't play post 2-3 hours of the first game).

It borrows heavily from UC4 and TLoU (not complaining at all) and it's very evident.

Also, the combat is ?. The weight of the character, the animations and the movements really are something else. A lot of care has gone in the game and it's evident with every passing moment.

The side-quests are simply, kinda meh. Totally unnecessary, IMO. Barely adds anything to the overall game. Seems kinda tacked-on.

The main story however, is very intriguing and there's an instant connect I felt with the characters. This wasn't the case with the old GoW games. In those games, Kratos is just mindlessly killing and killing with no end in sight (at least the game doesn't make it clear). Here, I love the calm and composed Kratos who has a sense of responsibility.

Overall, loving the game and looking forward to the story.

There is lot of character development in the side quest. Interactions during side quests builds the setting and the world and lessons learned from side quests shape Atreus’s character. It’s fascinating really.

On 5/27/2020 at 10:16 PM, Ne0 said:

ok, I'm in chapter 3 i think, in that alfeim/lake of light area, and man those flying elves are getting on my nerves .... they are so damn fast, attack in groups and keep dodging/blocking .... any easy strategy to take 'em down ? 

Beat the smaller ones with bare fist and shield and then use finisher. The elves are the easiest to R3- Kill. 

21 hours ago, rAgHaV said:

^^ same. I got the Halo vibe too in that area. 

Btw MAX out BOI before anything else. He is super useful throughout the game. Overall game is harder on normal than previous games, but the challenges are much easier. Also Queens are the true bosses tbh, but overall yeah I think this game only lacked the boss fight vibe of previous gow games. It feels even more noticeable because gow3 was one "epic best boss battle ever" after another. 

This is my favourite Gow now though. Exactly the perfect experience. No other way they could have done it better. Part 2 will make up for the missing boss battles in this one I am sure. 

GoW3 had like 3 epic boss fights, everything else was just a gimmick.

Finished it last night. A good experience, overall. The first GoW game that I've finished.

Again, didn't have any motivation to finish the side-quests (not even the awesome combat was reason enough). The main story is superb, though.

Excited for the sequel.

finally out of that alfeim ruins, the boss fights are so bad, like really bad :-/  

into the caves now .... btw, are there any must do side quests (like something with an awesome story / gives some rare item ?) Got 2 of the side quests now .... not sure if they're worth spending time on.  Also, can you revisit the areas you've already visited to get all the stuff you missed out in the initial run ?

Edited by Ne0

2 hours ago, Ne0 said:

finally out of that alfeim ruins, the boss fights are so bad, like really bad :-/  

into the caves now .... btw, are there any must do side quests (like something with an awesome story / gives some rare item ?) Got 2 of the side quests now .... not sure if they're worth spending time on.  Also, can you revisit the areas you've already visited to get all the stuff you missed out in the initial run ?

By bad you mean easy or frustrating :) I don't remember much of Alfeim now, wait till you get to Nifleim :D 

Yep you can do everything later, If you are going for PLAT suggest mix match and do everything now.. side quests will have collectible which will help build your overall XP elements, health upgrade etc. 

49 minutes ago, Assassins Creed said:

By bad you mean easy or frustrating :) I don't remember much of Alfeim now, wait till you get to Nifleim :D 

Yep you can do everything later, If you are going for PLAT suggest mix match and do everything now.. side quests will have collectible which will help build your overall XP elements, health upgrade etc. 

not frustrating (atleast the ones so far), its just not fun .... very rudimentary, looks like they hardly put any thought into it.  The finishers are also just about ok.   Maybe the soulsborne games have spoiled all of us :-/

I'm going for the plat so doing a bit of exploring alongside the main missions, entered the lost city in the lake, 5 enemies pop up who look like regular chumps, everyone's life bar is purple, quick turn, jump on the boat and got the f*ck out of there. Kratos probably said, 'Aww hell no'.

Edited by gecko89

On 5/28/2020 at 12:59 AM, VelivolusDas said:

About the game, it's sooooo much better in terms of how the narrative is paced, compared to previous GoW games. I have never liked any of the previous games (tried playing multiple times over several years but just can't play post 2-3 hours of the first game).

Seems like I'm in the minority who liked both the old games as well as this one. It might be because of the phase of life while playing. Was in my early 20s and enjoyed the mindless violence of the old games. And now liking how GoW and Uncharted 4 has changed the tone...feels like the games are growing with me :)  

9 hours ago, VelivolusDas said:

Well, well, well... ?

This is so cool!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: (Jealous)

Just now, Bauji said:

Seems like I'm in the minority who liked both the old games as well as this one. It might be because of the phase of life while playing. Was in my early 20s and enjoyed the mindless violence of the old games. And now liking how GoW and Uncharted 4 has changed the tone...feels like the games are growing with me :)  

This is so cool!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: (Jealous)

Na ur not, except ascension whinc was a mediocre game, every single GOW game is a master piece, each of it has a story, and all tie up nicely.

18 hours ago, AtheK said:

Na ur not, except ascension whinc was a mediocre game, every single GOW game is a master piece, each of it has a story, and all tie up nicely.

I said minority :) Have seen lots of posts from ppl who never cared for GoW earlier, liking this game and at the same time ppl who liked older games, not liking this one much.

No doubt regarding the games being exceptional though, considering what they have achieved on the platforms they were originally released.

Even Ascension I would say could be called mediocre only when compared with other GoW games, it was decent otherwise. Had too much expectations I guess. It looked exceptionally good, gave competition to early next gen games. Had much better combat system, time bending mechanic was cool and worked well with the puzzles and had great boss fights too. The opening section was amazing like all GoW games.

17 hours ago, adity said:

Really cool guy.

He is indeed. All his interviews are a joy to watch because of his sense of humour. Few days prior to the release of GoW(2018), for several hours, he was reading posts on Era and was tweeting funny replies, adding to the hype which was already off the roof at that time. Man, that was a good day!! :D 

Started this yesterday, it's not bad as such but i miss the high-energy combat of earlier GoWs.

World-building, atmosphere, environments wise this is a 10x improvement over previous GoW's, also like the focus on lore now with the codex section.

I also like that they have a story now and characters rather than GREEK GOD BAD TITAN BAD KILL EVERYTHING REEEEEEEEEE.

Combat is ok like i said, but nothing ground breaking, and definitely a downgrade from earlier GoW's fun hack n slash combat.

Combat is good and engaging once you progress further. Parry the enemy attack in this game helps a lot soon you will know why.  There are some great abilities that Kratos can pull off but for that you need to do some grinding but not as much as odyssey thankfully. ?

GoW3 feels more like a aggressive game and this one is not like that. And this game is not on the same level as GoW3 because GoW3 boss fights itself sets the benchmark/standards very high. This game only lacked that otherwise it’s a great improvement on every other aspect. Throwing the axe and getting it back is oddly satisfying. Didn’t feel boring at all. 

Edited by GameAnalyzer

The thing about previous GoW games is that your most used combo, square-square-triangle and square-square-square-square-slowmo-triangle is available right off the bat. New Gow is pretty much bares bones for first couple of hours.