God of War

Big Boss

So i was in some Greek good a*s whooping mood this Sunday, and I realized I have still not play GOW3 remastered. I fired up the game and had a blast till I met hades, he whooped my a*s couple of times instead, so I will try to go play it again soon and defeat the god of Underworld. This game still has one of the best opening sequence ever!!

Playing this game comparison with new game was inevitable, and I must say ALL OVER AGAIN Cary Barlog has outdone himself, the new game though still feels god of war at root, is so vastly different. You relate absolutely every minute with both the Kratos and have a blast playing them. I am not sure if any other franchisee was ever rebooted in such a perfect way!! God of War Ragnarok might feel a bit older now, but never before that did I ever thought that there will be any weapon that can trump the Blade of Chaos, the AXE was a revelation. It also is a natural progression for me from being the young brat when the earlier god of war games came to being a father when this one dropped. 

This franchisee is what Dreams are made of, guess for me this would always be the pinnacle of my gaming life!!

• Like 8

Finished playing God of War last week. A little too late to the party, but man o man what a party it was. No word left in the dictionary that hasn't been used to praise this game. Gonna say it anyways. This game is a brilliant masterpiece. It should be used as course curriculum for students of story and screenplay writing, visual arts, combat design, level design, overall game design, music, acting, the list goes on. 

And the visuals! While I played it on PS5, its literally unimaginable for me that this runs on a PS4 too - a software engineering feat in itself. I didn't enjoy the combat initially. My hack-n-slash GOW mind kept finding it too simple and boring. And then the rune attacks and the skill tree opened up. Boy, was I wrong about the combat. Its hands down the best combat in any game I have ever played. The amount of depth they were able to create with such a little amount of button set is just insane. To go along with it, the difficulty in this game is so delicately balanced that you always feel challenged and yet never underpowered.

All in all, its a must play. Anyone who has not played it yet, do yourself a favor and do. You don't know what you are missing, boy!!  

• Like 5

Started playing this today. Playing on hard mode because i heard combat is good. 

Anything in general i should know going into this? 

Is it worth it reading the codex entries? Is this fully linear or is it like metrodvania where i have to come back to old areas with new abilities  

56 minutes ago, dylanjosh said:

Playing on hard mode because i heard combat is good

You should play on Give me God of War mode difficulty. Since you started today only, you need to replay only a tiny bit again. This mode will make it massively more enjoyable 

4 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

You should play on Give me God of War mode difficulty. Since you started today only, you need to replay only a tiny bit again. This mode will make it massively more enjoyable 

On this difficulty Soulsborne games feel easier. I am being 100% honest. Give me god of war mode is for new game plus. Its insta kill out there. 

1 hour ago, dylanjosh said:

Is that the hardest one? No thanks :P

play on whatever difficulty you feel like. Answering your other questions. The codex etc gives you a lot of background and info into the world and characters. The game is metroidvania in nature

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dylanjosh said:

Is it worth it reading the codex entries? Is this fully linear or is it like metrodvania where i have to come back to old areas with new abilities  

Can't remember exactly but Codex entries are mostly bestiary or similar stuff so I didn't care for it much but there are loads of dialogues explaining the lore and myth of the Norse world so listen to them carefully. Also make sure you open all those optional wardrobe like things, it gives you great insight into the world. 

P.S forget everything you know about Norse mythology from the MCU Thor movies. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hussain said:

On this difficulty Soulsborne games feel easier. I am being 100% honest. Give me god of war mode is for new game plus. Its insta kill out there. 

I played and beat Give me god of war mode in my 1st playthrough and it was extremely enjoyable, that's why I am recommending. It also maximizes your playtime and there's no other game you'd want max playtime for than this GoW

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dylanjosh said:

Started playing this today. Playing on hard mode because i heard combat is good. 

You can change the difficulty on the fly. No need to restart the whole game, just the last checkpoint. 

For me, the Beastiaries provided good info on how to tackle enemy types early on. So, read if you like. And the lore markers and all provide good immersion and enhance the experience.