Big Boss

God of War

2 hours ago, kmkaks said:

Nah that’s a blanket statement, it all depends on preference? 

For me, being a sucker for stories and narrative, I enjoyed the cohesion between narrative and action in the new God of War,

I don’t know bro, it just feels like the series evolved with me, I.e as a teen I loved to mash buttons and fight and did not give two hoots about stories in video games but now, as I grow I feel this need to connect with the world, the music, and the setting in games. Pure Mindless button mashing just doesn’t cut it for me anymore.

You're probably basing your opinion on the story of the older games from GOW3 alone, which didn't really have much of a story.

The first two GOW games had great stories with the original still having the best story in the series IMO. It can even stand on its own as a self-contained title.

That said, I do think that the 2018 GOW has better characters though.

• Like 1

ok, I'm in chapter 3 i think, in that alfeim/lake of light area, and man those flying elves are getting on my nerves .... they are so damn fast, attack in groups and keep dodging/blocking .... any easy strategy to take 'em down ? 

Edited by Ne0

6 minutes ago, Ne0 said:

ok, I'm in chapter 3 i think, in that alfeim/lake of light area, and man those flying elves are getting on my nerves .... they are so damn fast, attack in groups and keep dodging/blocking .... any easy strategy to take 'em down ? 

Git gud

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ne0 said:

Even I'm playing this now (for the first time) and I just started Chapter 4. There's no specific strategy that I could think of, except for relying on parrying in the best way possible.

Also, using Atreus' arrows helps a lot, too. Combines effortlessly as a mid-point during Kratos' Light + Heavy combos.

For groups, check if you have equipped some rune attacks which allow you to do some area attacks. There's one that stuns multiple of them. However, I must add, that timing them right would be crucial for it to be effective.

BTW, what difficulty are you playing on? I'm playing on Normal and overall, it's just the right amount of challenge. Nothing too difficult or frustrating.

-----

About the game, it's sooooo much better in terms of how the narrative is paced, compared to previous GoW games. I have never liked any of the previous games (tried playing multiple times over several years but just can't play post 2-3 hours of the first game).

It borrows heavily from UC4 and TLoU (not complaining at all) and it's very evident.

Also, the combat is 😍. The weight of the character, the animations and the movements really are something else. A lot of care has gone in the game and it's evident with every passing moment.

The side-quests are simply, kinda meh. Totally unnecessary, IMO. Barely adds anything to the overall game. Seems kinda tacked-on.

The main story however, is very intriguing and there's an instant connect I felt with the characters. This wasn't the case with the old GoW games. In those games, Kratos is just mindlessly killing and killing with no end in sight (at least the game doesn't make it clear). Here, I love the calm and composed Kratos who has a sense of responsibility.

Overall, loving the game and looking forward to the story.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

^^ the story is definitely a plus point, and very intriguing.  But I've mixed opinions about the environment, while it's gorgeous no doubt, it feels like more of a sci-fi setting than a gow setting.  Still in that alfiem ruins , and the env for some reason reminds me of the halo series !

^^ same. I got the Halo vibe too in that area. 

Btw MAX out BOI before anything else. He is super useful throughout the game. Overall game is harder on normal than previous games, but the challenges are much easier. Also Queens are the true bosses tbh, but overall yeah I think this game only lacked the boss fight vibe of previous gow games. It feels even more noticeable because gow3 was one "epic best boss battle ever" after another. 

This is my favourite Gow now though. Exactly the perfect experience. No other way they could have done it better. Part 2 will make up for the missing boss battles in this one I am sure. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 12:59 AM, VelivolusDas said:

Even I'm playing this now (for the first time) and I just started Chapter 4. There's no specific strategy that I could think of, except for relying on parrying in the best way possible.

Also, using Atreus' arrows helps a lot, too. Combines effortlessly as a mid-point during Kratos' Light + Heavy combos.

For groups, check if you have equipped some rune attacks which allow you to do some area attacks. There's one that stuns multiple of them. However, I must add, that timing them right would be crucial for it to be effective.

BTW, what difficulty are you playing on? I'm playing on Normal and overall, it's just the right amount of challenge. Nothing too difficult or frustrating.

-----

About the game, it's sooooo much better in terms of how the narrative is paced, compared to previous GoW games. I have never liked any of the previous games (tried playing multiple times over several years but just can't play post 2-3 hours of the first game).

It borrows heavily from UC4 and TLoU (not complaining at all) and it's very evident.

Also, the combat is 😍. The weight of the character, the animations and the movements really are something else. A lot of care has gone in the game and it's evident with every passing moment.

The side-quests are simply, kinda meh. Totally unnecessary, IMO. Barely adds anything to the overall game. Seems kinda tacked-on.

The main story however, is very intriguing and there's an instant connect I felt with the characters. This wasn't the case with the old GoW games. In those games, Kratos is just mindlessly killing and killing with no end in sight (at least the game doesn't make it clear). Here, I love the calm and composed Kratos who has a sense of responsibility.

Overall, loving the game and looking forward to the story.

There is lot of character development in the side quest. Interactions during side quests builds the setting and the world and lessons learned from side quests shape Atreus’s character. It’s fascinating really.

On 5/27/2020 at 10:16 PM, Ne0 said:

Beat the smaller ones with bare fist and shield and then use finisher. The elves are the easiest to R3- Kill. 

21 hours ago, rAgHaV said:

^^ same. I got the Halo vibe too in that area. 

Btw MAX out BOI before anything else. He is super useful throughout the game. Overall game is harder on normal than previous games, but the challenges are much easier. Also Queens are the true bosses tbh, but overall yeah I think this game only lacked the boss fight vibe of previous gow games. It feels even more noticeable because gow3 was one "epic best boss battle ever" after another. 

This is my favourite Gow now though. Exactly the perfect experience. No other way they could have done it better. Part 2 will make up for the missing boss battles in this one I am sure. 

GoW3 had like 3 epic boss fights, everything else was just a gimmick.

Poseidon & Cronos boss fights were more of set pieces than actual boss fights 

Hermes boss fight was again just for name sake 

You just had to catch him 

Also 

repeating it again 

comparing both games is not right as this one has RPG style mini boss fights by the dozens 

This is a completely new & fresh game when it comes to gameplay 

nothing to do with the old series 

Finished it last night. A good experience, overall. The first GoW game that I've finished.

Again, didn't have any motivation to finish the side-quests (not even the awesome combat was reason enough). The main story is superb, though.

Excited for the sequel.

finally out of that alfeim ruins, the boss fights are so bad, like really bad :-/  

into the caves now .... btw, are there any must do side quests (like something with an awesome story / gives some rare item ?) Got 2 of the side quests now .... not sure if they're worth spending time on.  Also, can you revisit the areas you've already visited to get all the stuff you missed out in the initial run ?

Edited by Ne0

2 hours ago, Ne0 said:

finally out of that alfeim ruins, the boss fights are so bad, like really bad :-/  

into the caves now .... btw, are there any must do side quests (like something with an awesome story / gives some rare item ?) Got 2 of the side quests now .... not sure if they're worth spending time on.  Also, can you revisit the areas you've already visited to get all the stuff you missed out in the initial run ?

By bad you mean easy or frustrating :) I don't remember much of Alfeim now, wait till you get to Nifleim :D 

Yep you can do everything later, If you are going for PLAT suggest mix match and do everything now.. side quests will have collectible which will help build your overall XP elements, health upgrade etc. 

49 minutes ago, Assassins Creed said:

By bad you mean easy or frustrating :) I don't remember much of Alfeim now, wait till you get to Nifleim :D 

Yep you can do everything later, If you are going for PLAT suggest mix match and do everything now.. side quests will have collectible which will help build your overall XP elements, health upgrade etc. 

not frustrating (atleast the ones so far), its just not fun .... very rudimentary, looks like they hardly put any thought into it.  The finishers are also just about ok.   Maybe the soulsborne games have spoiled all of us :-/

I'm going for the plat so doing a bit of exploring alongside the main missions, entered the lost city in the lake, 5 enemies pop up who look like regular chumps, everyone's life bar is purple, quick turn, jump on the boat and got the f*ck out of there. Kratos probably said, 'Aww hell no'.

Edited by gecko89