Gears Tactics

Heaven Angel

Gears Tactics is a 'turn-based strategy' game set 12 years before Gears of War

"It's our take on the classic turn-based strategy genre, with a character-driven story, faster, more aggressive gameplay, a customizable squad and equipment—and of course it wouldn't be a Gears game without massive boss battles," Coalition studio head Rod Fergusson said during Microsoft's E3 press event—a little like XCOM crossed with a chainsaw machine gun, perhaps. Details will be revealed soon.

Edited by Heaven Angel

It is hilarious how completely they disowned Kinect. Not even a mention this year. LMAO. 

Also just heard its Splash Damage doing this? 

Ooooooh boy. :/

Edited by Aftrunner

Kind of.

Developed in partnership with Splash Damage, you can expect a sweet sandwich of fast-paced brutal action and turn-based tactics including squad customization, upgradable weapons and abilities. Oh, and, it wouldn’t be Gears without some epic boss battles now would it?

They worked before on Gears MP.

• 1 year later...

Enough time, preload will start soon on steam too!

This and Xcom chimeras squad. 

I'm gonna have my year's quota of turn based tactical in this month. 

Edited by Heaven Angel

59 minutes ago, Heaven Angel said:

Enough time, preload will start soon on steam too!

This and Xcom chimeras squad. 

I'm gonna have my year's quota of turn based tactical in this month. 

Steam pre load has been up for a few days now. Grab it. 

OpenCritic: 80

• Gears Tactics does an excellent job of grafting Gears' signature look and feel onto XCOM's turn-based battle format and looks great doing it.
  • A competent tactical retooling of the Gears formula, even if the execution isn't always spot-on.
  • Clever combat abilities and brutal executions translate Gears of War into a deep, fast-paced strategy game.
  • Gears Tactics is a smart, fast, and aggressive strategy game that's in need of a little more variety
  • Inject some much-needed adrenaline and storytelling into the tactics milieu, even if the campaign wears out its welcome
  • This is a near miss, but as anyone who has ever played a turn-based game will tell you, a near miss can be all the enemy needs to take you out. This is an interesting, but hardly essential, addition to the Gears family.
  • Gears Tactics carefully recreates the chaotic excitement of a Gears of War firefight in turn-based strategy form.
  • Gears Tactics finds its niche by leaning further into the hyper-aggressive action and gore of the franchise. It throws tons of enemies at you, which forces you to move and keeps you on your toes, but can also become annoying and tedious in some missions. For a first-time outing though, Gears Tactics is a fantastic start.
  • Gears Tactics makes a wonderful addition to the franchise, and I hope that it spins off as its own series.

BUY! 

^^Needs a lot of work. 

The core is solid but there are too many annoying things that pile up. The difficulty is completely unbalanced leading to some ridiculous spikes. There is no save anywhere option, instead opting for a checkpoint auto save. The upgrades system is needlessly complicated. etc etc. 

With a few patches it could be great. Right now its just about average. Buy XCOM Chimera instead. That game is smaller in scope but even with its odd crashes here and there, it is a significantly better made game. 

• Like 1

I have been playing Gears Tactics for the last few days. I have completed till Act 1 Chapter 6. Here are my quick thoughts based on my current progress:

• The core game play is good but it is mostly limited to battlefield. It does not require resource management like XCOM
  • The graphics is good and cut scenes are helpful in story telling. As of now, I feel that the story is pretty generic, similar to FPS games
  • Haven't had any crashes so far
  • Weapons are limited to guns and grenades
  • Each tile on the battlefield provides you the line of sight with enemies. This is helps you in strategizing. I like it a lot personally
  • The skills tree is designed more like an RPG game than XCOM. So, need some focus before allocating points
  • Refund Skill points are a good addition. Allows you to respec skills instantly
  • AI's strategy is primarily focused on Overwatch. They seem to be doing it a lot in this game. Enemy overwatch cannot be disabled by firing and hitting them but requires a special skill (Disabling shot or something) usually available with all units. However, Overwatch fire can interrupt actions
  • Have seen 4-5 variety of enemies till, however, none of them seem to have any interesting attacks or skills
  • Quick saves are not allowed, however, there is a check point system. You can save and exit only at these checkpoints otherwise you will loose progress

^^Needs a lot of work. 

The core is solid but there are too many annoying things that pile up. The difficulty is completely unbalanced leading to some ridiculous spikes. There is no save anywhere option, instead opting for a checkpoint auto save. The upgrades system is needlessly complicated. etc etc. 

With a few patches it could be great. Right now its just about average. Buy XCOM Chimera instead. That game is smaller in scope but even with its odd crashes here and there, it is a significantly better made game. 

This is something that worries me. The game looks pretty good from all the reviews I have seen. But random difficulty spikes is not good especially in a game like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk