Google Stadia Discussion Thread

Not really rekt at all...

Google Stadia Review Roundup: Impressive tech that you should probably wait for

Stadia runs all its launch titles immaculately. On my pedestrian connection of about 100 megabits down and 10 up with something like 20 milliseconds of latency — which Stadia’s built-in connection checker rates as “excellent” — I haven’t experienced a single connection hiccup. Red Dead Redemption 2 runs smoothly at 4K/60. I can successfully get through Mortal Kombat 11’s arcade mode on medium difficulty, which is about as well as I’d expect to perform on any platform. I regularly nailed alien baddies in the dome in Destiny 2, even during Google’s prescribed reviewer multiplayer times. It’s crazy good.

The first Stadia game I booted up was Destiny 2 on the Chromecast Ultra. The title screen loaded quickly and I created a new character; the process felt so smooth and familiar that I forgot I was playing a AAA, online game on a streaming puck the size of a Thin Mint. But then, I started shooting. The lag was immediate.

It took a few shots for the game to catch up with the action, but it eventually smoothed out and I carried on killing aliens. Destiny 2 continued to stutter and suffer from input lag every now and then… but it wasn’t pervasive enough to destroy the fun of Destiny 2. The same goes for Mortal Kombat 11 on the phone and Gylt on the laptop. …resolution dipped every now and then, and some button presses would trail behind the on-screen action, but overall, they performed like console-quality video games.

Even under ideal conditions, there is a noticeable difference between playing a game on Stadia and running the game on local hardware, like a PC or PS4. There’s a certain clarity, depth, and sharpness you get when a game is rendered in real-time, and that’s absent with a stream, no matter how high-quality it is.

With Stadia, games sometimes look like you’re watching an ultra-high-resolution gameplay video rather than actually playing the game yourself. They look drab. If you want to understand, go watch this video, make it fullscreen, set the quality to the highest your display can support. This is what it looks like to play games on Stadia. Stadia excels in that middle ground just shy of ultra-high-def.

When playing Stadia on my Windows PC through the Chrome browser at 720p, Stadia used between 12 and 20Mbps. In contrast, a Netflix stream used about the same amount, but Netflix can buffer content to stop streaming constantly. Because Stadia is always pulling data and can’t buffer, it will use a lot more data… Playing Stadia at 720p used about 7GB per hour.

GOOGLE STADIA REVIEW: THE BEST OF CLOUD GAMING IS STILL JUST A BETA

unknown.png

Today, Stadia is a $130 one-time purchase, plus $10 a month (after a three-month trial), plus $20 to $60 per premium game;

• for early access to a service that lets you play a limited selection of 22 games you can mostly already buy everywhere else;
  • except here, you can stream them directly from the cloud;
  • on your TV with the included Chromecast Ultra dongle at “4K” resolution with high dynamic range (HDR);
  • with the included wireless Stadia Controller, which is roughly equivalent to an Xbox One or Sony DualShock controller, except it only works wirelessly with Chromecast;
  • or on Google Pixel phones at “1080p” resolution, assuming you also buy a controller clip (or phone stand) and plug it in with USB-C;
  • or via the Chrome web browser at “1080p” resolution, with any wired gamepad or mouse and keyboard of your choice;
  • with the ability to seamlessly swap between phone and PC, or somewhat less seamlessly between TV, phone, and PC to pick up where you left off on a different device
  • except without voice chat, captures, or Google Assistant on phone*
  • and without the ability to see achievements or share captures from any platform whatsoever, including TV and Chrome

Sometime in 2020, Stadia will be a free service, plus the cost of games;

• for a catalog of as many as 44 confirmed titles, including standouts Cyberpunk 2077 and possibly Baldur’s Gate III;
  • with an optional $10 / month Stadia Pro subscription to play them at 4K with HDR via your own Chromecast Ultra or Chrome web browser;
  • with an optional $70 Stadia Controller that can theoretically hop between phone, PC, and TV without having to be turned off, re-paired or plugged in;
  • which also lets you listen and chat with your Bluetooth headphones, not just a wired 3.5mm set;
  • with achievements, the ability to instantly share gameplay captures to YouTube, and cross-platform voice chat;
  • an unspecified amount of YouTube integration will enable some of Stadia’s promised features that didn’t make launch (see below).

Someday, Google has promised or suggested:

• You’ll be able to click on a YouTube ad for a game to jump straight into that game
  • You’ll be able to live-stream to YouTube in 4K at the same time you’re playing in 4K
  • You’ll be able to share a link to an exact moment in a game with friends or followers so they can try it instantly
  • Streamers will be able to let viewers line up to instantly join their game
  • You’ll be able to see your friend’s actual screens in some games to help you coordinate
  • The controller’s dedicated Google Assistant button will be able to help you beat games
  • Future games will combine the power of multiple Stadia servers to do things impossible on console or PC, like a single shared world for every single player, advanced physics, fully destructible worlds, huge numbers of NPCs, etc.
  • Google will release its own games for Stadia with some of these features
  • Other Android phones and perhaps iPhones will get in on the action
  • Cross-platform multiplayer may happen
  • Stadia will scale to “8K” resolution and 120 frames per second

More like a BETA launch. If Google continues to support, it could turn up well as it seems to work but with issues. 

Expected reviews. It was never going to look as tack sharp as local 4K. Some even say there's motion artifact like you see in low bitrate videos with fast motion. This is separate issue on top of lag and cost.

And Destiny 2 looks like a straight up console port.

Games obtained free or with discounts thanks to the Stadia Pro subscription will no longer be available once the subscription has expired. You can continue playing with the games you have purchased at full price.

WTF :rofl: 

• 2 weeks later...