Google Stadia Discussion Thread

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nvidia’s GeForce Now is finally out of beta, challenges Google Stadia at $5 a month

Free access for all, play your existing PC games library, low-cost sub for RTX ray tracing.

Wow, this is fantastic. Wonder what Google even thought of Stadia before jumping in... 

I honestly dont see the point of GeForce Now. 

If it was a subscription with a set of games, sure that makes sense. But if I already bought a bunch of games then chances are I actually own a computer capable of playing those games. And Steam in home streaming lets me stream inside the house for free. So at this point I am just paying so I can play them on a laptop or something when on the go? And even for that very limited use case scenario, in my experience when you are travelling bandwidth is pretty sh*t anyway. 

Granted $5 a month isnt a lot but even then, I really cant see every subscribing to this. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Aftrunner said:

I honestly dont see the point of GeForce Now. 

If it was a subscription with a set of games, sure that makes sense. But if I already bought a bunch of games then chances are I actually own a computer capable of playing those games. And Steam in home streaming lets me stream inside the house for free. So at this point I am just paying so I can play them on a laptop or something when on the go? And even for that very limited use case scenario, in my experience when you are travelling bandwidth is pretty sh*t anyway. 

Granted $5 a month isnt a lot but even then, I really cant see every subscribing to this. 

Its for people like me who have an HTPC with AMD 2200G and keep postponing the upgrades forever and yet keep buying games from Steam/Epic sales. Its a moot point anyway because the chances of GF Now coming here is pretty slim.

• Like 1

Just now, Aftrunner said:

Fair enough but I would imagine that this use case scenario cant be a huge market. 

Considering the inflation in GPU prices, it might end up very useful. 30k Rs used to get an x70 GPU - which is good, but not exactly premium. Now the current x70 costs around 70k (The price which x80 ti cards - NVidia's highest tier of cards used to go for). And it might just keep increasing as more gens pass.

Honestly, this is more useful than Stadia. I can buy Steam and Epic games for amazing regional prices. And for some $5 I can forego buying a 1.5 lakh+ PC upgrade, and still play at ultra settings. It's compatible with all games so no store/library issues. And there are tons of games on those stores (Steam account already has lots of games built up over the years). Meanwhile, in Stadia, first hope that Google gets the game, buy it for $60 (No regional pricing) + buy it again if you have it on another store (No store cross-compatibility), pay $10 on top of that for proper resolution and FPS support and then play. Seems far more expensive and less useful.

Geforce Now should come to India. Can really boost PC gaming.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Considering the inflation in GPU prices, it might end up very useful. 30k Rs used to get an x70 GPU - which is good, but not exactly premium. Now the current x70 costs around 70k (The price which x80 ti cards - NVidia's highest tier of cards used to go for). And it might just keep increasing as more gens pass.

Honestly, this is more useful than Stadia. I can buy Steam and Epic games for amazing regional prices. And for some $5 I can forego buying a 1.5 lakh+ PC upgrade, and still play at ultra settings. It's compatible with all games so no store/library issues. And there are tons of games on those stores (Steam account already has lots of games built up over the years). Meanwhile, in Stadia, first hope that Google gets the game, buy it for $60 (No regional pricing) + buy it again if you have it on another store (No store cross-compatibility), pay $10 on top of that for proper resolution and FPS support and then play. Seems far more expensive and less useful.

Geforce Now should come to India. Can really boost PC gaming.

I thought Stadia was a subscription where you didnt have to buy games? O.o 

7 minutes ago, Aftrunner said:

I thought Stadia was a subscription where you didnt have to buy games? O.o 

Nope. Stadia has paid sub for some reason + pay full price for the the game to play + can't link your existing games. 

8 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

Nope. Stadia has paid sub for some reason + pay full price for the the game to play + can't link your existing games. 

Bruh. what the *bleep*. For some reason I just imagined they would be like Netflix. 

It is weird but I have pretty much forgotten Stadia even existed. Does it work in India? 

Netflix like catalog would have helped them. Should at least allow users to link library.

As for locations, it is only available in:

1. Belgium
  2. Canada
  3. Denmark
  4. Finland
  5. France
  6. Germany
  7. Ireland
  8. Italy
  9. Netherlands
  10. Norway
  11. Spain
  12. Sweden
  13. United Kingdom
  14. United States

Free version is coming sometime this year (no details yet) and will be capped to 1080p/60FPS. You still have to buy the games though. 

5 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

Free version is coming sometime this year (no details yet) and will be capped to 1080p/60FPS. You still have to buy the games though. 

Provided you buy the game from Google. Free version does not let you escape the $60 game fee. Only difference is the $10 sub will allow you to go beyond 1080p/60 fps. So if you have a 1440p/4k/144 hz monitor - game will look and run horribly. The $10 sub will be required to play in those those monitors.

Of course you have to buy the game. Stadia current model nor the free model will work for majority. 

• They should allow linking other libraries
  • They should charge for catalog of games instead of single game

I don't think they have scaling feature? Games will probably just run at 1080p with black bars around. 

16 hours ago, Aftrunner said:

Bruh. what the *bleep*. For some reason I just imagined they would be like Netflix. 

It is weird but I have pretty much forgotten Stadia even existed. Does it work in India? 

Hahaha yeah, of all the things Stadia got wrong, none of them would've mattered if it was at least like Netflix or Game Pass. Someone higher up somewhere looked at the Netflix model and thought "what if we make something similar but instead of streaming everything, make people buy individual shows at same price as retail blu rays. People love buying stuff outright that they can only stream."

I doubt it'll survive long enough to come to India.

24 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

Hahaha yeah, of all the things Stadia got wrong, none of them would've mattered if it was at least like Netflix or Game Pass. Someone higher up somewhere looked at the Netflix model and thought "what if we make something similar but instead of streaming everything, make people buy individual shows at same price as retail blu rays. People love buying stuff outright that they can only stream."

I doubt it'll survive long enough to come to India.

Worst part is Google is not even able to get all the publishers to sell games on their store. That should have been the easiest part if they were going to make people buy the games anyway. Can understand publisher reluctance if it was like netflix and game could be freely playable with just a sub. But a full purchase? Don't know how Google even thought up this business model. 

• 2 months later...