Elden Ring

Engineer

Demon’s Souls on ps5 raised the bar too high for the graphics in Souls games for me. 

Bluepoint nailed everything with that game, the art direction, graphics, feel. Everything was on point. 

Maybe that’s why I’m a bit apprehensive about the graphics here. Looks good nonetheless. But not Demon’s Souls lvl. 

Edited by SaiKO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SaiKO said:

Demon’s Souls on ps5 raised the bar too high for the graphics in Souls games for me. 

Bluepoint nailed everything with that game, the art direction, graphics, feel. Everything was on point. 

Maybe that’s why I’m a bit apprehensive about the graphics here. Looks good nonetheless. But not Demon’s Souls lvl. 

Demon Souls had the oldest design of corridor lurking. 

The evolution that Fromsoftware games have taken since then leading up to the full blown open world design of Elden Ring,just doesn’t allow for those sort of visuals. 

It’s always going to be the Scale vs Visuals debate. 

Edited by AnK

1 hour ago, SaiKO said:

While it definitely seems to fall short on a technical level, FromSoft's artistic wizardry was more than enough to make my jaw drop several times in that video.

The game still looks amazing IMO.

42 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

Elden Ring's world design will be almost like Dark Souls 1, won't it? Everything connected

It’s proper open world this time instead of large connected sandbox. 

Can’t say about whole map but some main areas will be connected for sure. 

This looks really good. I'm glad it has blocks for close up combat. And a lot of ranged combat. Thats a first for fromsoftware afaik. Is it just me or is this not a ps5 level graphically good looking game? Cause it looks awesome but not really as awesome as a lot of other games. I mean ps4 games like HZD, GoW, GoT, AC odyssey etc. look quite a bit better than this. Ps5 games like HFW, GOT DC, DS DC etc. look way better than this. It kinda feels like a heavily upgraded but not ps5 upgraded skyrim with the originial lord of the ring movie mix up. Thoughts? IMO the trailer looked more graphically impressive than this. This is still gorgeous tho.

Still worth even more than a day 1 pick up but I won't be picking it up day 1.

Edited by Horizon Days Dawn

The combat looks so much smoother than ever before, incorporating various elements from previous From games. The new block-counter mechanic seems to be a game changer, allowing you to be far more aggressive even while avoiding damage. And like in Bloodborne, it seems like you can quickstep again, and not have to roll like a maniac everywhere. :D

The map design seems inspired from Breath of the Wild more than anything else, in that it has no labels and is a terrain map first and foremost. It provides a visual overview of the terrain and structures without telling you what you can find at each location, preserving the sense of discovery even while following the map. This is the best way to do open world maps imo. 

Edited by vikram
  • Like 1