Elden Ring

Engineer

6 hours ago, 0verlord said:

ELDEN RING IVG TOURNAMENT

In the honor of the release of a new Fromsoft game, I propose a tournament comprising of several games mentioned below where one can score points. At the conclusion of all games, the player with the most points shall be crowned the Elden Ring IVG champion and shall have eternal glory. For each game, the player has to upload a video or screenshot as their submission for the respective game. The games and points are as follows:

Game 1

Beating Elden Ring and rolling the credits the fastest from game launch on 25th February. Only your 1st playthrough counts for this.

Game 2

Beating Elden Ring with the least soul level in your 1st playthrough

Game 3

There may be several ending to the game. Beating an ending the fastest. 

Points: 10 for each ending (if you win Game 1, you will win Game 3, too for that ending and get 20 points in total)

Game 4

The most interesting one! Here, players will submit their boss battle videos. For each boss, every player's battle will be compared and the player with the best battle will get 4 points. The winner for each boss will be decided by a vote of forum members. The criteria could be - least amount of health lost, least amount of hits taken, best strategy including intelligent use of items, quality of combat and skills displayed, least amount of time taken to beat the boss, boss not cheesed etc.

Game 5

New boss discovery.

Please suggest more games and changes to the format if any. Any other suggestions are also welcome.

Also please mention whether you want to participate, I'll make a list. 

Nice, I'll try to post. Still confused whether to get it on consoles or PC. 

25 minutes ago, Kenzooru said:

Is anyone going through the soulsborne games to get themselves prepared for ER? I’ve been doing DS3 runs, finished both the DLC’s and they were amazing. 

No, I am going in raw and blind 

don’t want it to be too easy

• Haha 1

On 1/1/2022 at 10:45 PM, Mr. Comingle said:

Guys so after trying and failing multiple times at fromsoft games, I'm pretty determined to get this day 1 and beat it. Any details on how the co op will work? 

Just like in any souls.. you need a specific item. 

In this new open world it'll be for limited time or for bosses only. 

On 1/1/2022 at 10:45 PM, Mr. Comingle said:

Guys so after trying and failing multiple times at fromsoft games, I'm pretty determined to get this day 1 and beat it. Any details on how the co op will work? 

The coop will be very interesting in ER going by my experience in the closed network test. The summoning item for the first time had a limited number of uses(it was 99 in the CNT). Also upto 4 players can do coop together(1 of them being a host and 3 being the ones summoned). Torrent(horse) is not available in coop. 

as for the usual coop mechanics, you can summon people near the grace sites(bonfire) they go back to their world once you defeat a boss together or either they or the host die. You can repeat the process of summoning them at the next grace site. You get souls(xp) for helping people defeat enemies and bosses in their game, so it’s a good way to level up. I’m in a discord server and I’ve been helping a ton of people with Dark Souls 3. Coop certainly makes these games feel a little less underwhelming.

“And not just with Elden Ring, but with all the games we make. Graphical fidelity is not something we put as the top priority. What we ask for on the graphics side depends on the systems and requirements of the game itself, and it takes less priority compared to the other elements of development.”

Fine, your niche followers won't even ask for it. But Demon's Souls artists, tech art, engine team really did something amazing plus their ENGINE is more versatile. But you gotta work on that FromSoftware dated engine first, god that awful frame-pacing it has. 

FromSoftware really has great art direction no doubt. But their graphics is restricted due to their engine mostly. I don't believe that their artists can't do Demon's Souls lvl art....they certainly can, but they might have time constraints plus that engine limitation.

9 minutes ago, SaiKO said:

“And not just with Elden Ring, but with all the games we make. Graphical fidelity is not something we put as the top priority. What we ask for on the graphics side depends on the systems and requirements of the game itself, and it takes less priority compared to the other elements of development.”

Fine, your niche followers won't even ask for it. But Demon's Souls artists, tech art, engine team really did something amazing plus their ENGINE is more versatile. But you gotta work on that FromSoftware dated engine first, god that awful frame-pacing it has. 

FromSoftware really has great art direction no doubt. But their graphics is restricted due to their engine mostly. I don't believe that their artists can't do Demon's Souls lvl art....they certainly can, but they might have time constraints plus that engine limitation.

From art > Bluepoint 

But I guess that could be Sony Japan Studio influence. Demon's (PS3)/ Bloodborne absolutely dripping with atmosphere.

Never liked Dark Souls art as much. 

Bluepoint better on technical level. Was disappointed what they did with it. Took away what made Demon's special.

1 hour ago, SaiKO said:

Much easier to remake a game where all the lore, combat mechanics, game design have already been mapped to you. From Soft definitely needs to improve their frame pacing issues, also frame dips need to be smoothed out. I don’t like how they keep them unlocked which leads to its own issues.

Elden Ring open world looked brilliant to me and so does a lot of Dark Souls 3. I don’t care about Elden Ring looking like Demon’s Souls remake because a game looking pretty won’t keep me playing it, the mechanics will. These guys are masters in the genre and my 12 hours of Elden Ring play through was enough for me to see that their efforts went into the right places.

1 hour ago, 0verlord said:

60fps on both ps5 and xsx

Frame Pacing =/= FPS count.

Frame pacing is how the frames are interlaced with each other in time interval. If frame pacing is done correctly, even 30 fps will feel smooth. If not, then even 60 fps will feel choppy. Refer to Sekiro DF video for better understanding.

FromSoftware had this issue with it in Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro...etc. (basically problem with their engine) This is very well known. Let's hope they fix that issue in Elden Ring.

52 minutes ago, SaiKO said:

Frame Pacing =/= FPS count.

Frame pacing is how the frames are interlaced with each other in time interval. If frame pacing is done correctly, even 30 fps will feel smooth. If not, then even 60 fps will feel choppy. Refer to Sekiro DF video for better understanding.

FromSoftware had this issue with it in Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro...etc. (basically problem with their engine) This is very well known. Let's hope they fix that issue in Elden Ring.

which 60fps Fromsoft games have frame-pacing issues?

I played Sekiro on PS5 at 60fps. It stays rock solid at 60 and didn’t feel choppy 

I think 30fps Fromsoft games on last gen hardware are more susceptible to frame pacing and choppyness

60fps mode on next gen shouldn’t have frame-pacing choppiness for Elden Ring imo

1 hour ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Does vrr help with this? 

No its the inherent engine problem. VRR helps by matching the refresh rate of the screen with game fps, but if the game itself is displaying them at different times then nothing can help it. 

For eg Elden Ring should display images at every 16.66ms when running at 60fps. But it jumps from 16.66ms to 33.33ms and back to 16.66ms as per DF video.

image.png

That is a lot of juddering. Some people don't see it but some are very susceptible to it.

It's a problem if it happens suddenly, between a smooth stable 60 fps.

If it's present throughout, I just get used to it and have no issues.

At least in my case.

Just played Matrix demo yesterday on my Series S. Wasn't bothered by frame rate.

1 hour ago, CarbonCore said:

No its the inherent engine problem. VRR helps by matching the refresh rate of the screen with game fps, but if the game itself is displaying them at different times then nothing can help it. 

For eg Elden Ring should display images at every 16.66ms when running at 60fps. But it jumps from 16.66ms to 33.33ms and back to 16.66ms as per DF video.

image.png

That is a lot of juddering. Some people don't see it but some are very susceptible to it.

Is it the same thing that happens in Bloodborne? I feel something is off there too.. makes my head hurt 

2 hours ago, 0verlord said:

which 60fps Fromsoft games have frame-pacing issues?

I played Sekiro on PS5 at 60fps. It stays rock solid at 60 and didn’t feel choppy 

I think 30fps Fromsoft games on last gen hardware are more susceptible to frame pacing and choppyness

60fps mode on next gen shouldn’t have frame-pacing choppiness for Elden Ring imo

Back in it's time, Sekiro on ps4 pro had this issue (you can see DF's video about it). So was the DS and BB. Haven't played Sekiro on PS5 (because its 3 yrs old game now and don't have the disc anymore) so no idea if that is patched. I know BB and DS ain't. 

I'll wait for Elden Ring review from DF before thinking to get on PS5...I would rather get it on PC I think...lesser price, guaranteed performance.

32 minutes ago, hsk_colossus said:

Is it the same thing that happens in Bloodborne? I feel something is off there too.. makes my head hurt 

Bloodborne had THE MOST AWFUL frame pacing out of all FromSoft games. I still couldn't finish that game due to that. And wanted a PS5 patch so that I could play without feeling like puking.

• Thanks 1

For Elden ring performance on ps5, please have a look from 11:52 time mark. On the test, it's still jittery...not sure if that's gonna improve on release or not. Remains to be seen.