Engineer

24 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

It appears to be a tangent because the question itself is wrong 

Fromsoft games are not “difficult”

they have designed a player “journey

that’s why there’s no difficulty “setting”

that’s it

it’s a very subtle point which only Souls players and veterans may appreciate 

lol. again with the highbrow response. your answers are doing nothing but further proving the gate-keeping attitude of players who like and play Souls games.

If you were confident in your self worth being absolute and not relative, you would just say yes or no and move on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 0verlord said:

that’s not entirely comparable 

not everyone gets Onyx in Halo but everyone wants to (ideally) complete the (Fromsoft) game

That makes no sense. Onxy is the difficulty level in Arena, not the completion. It's akin to the difficulty levels in SP games.

22 minutes ago, WhatsInTheName said:

lol. again with the highbrow response. your answers are doing nothing but further proving the gate-keeping attitude of players who like and play Souls games.

If you were confident in your self worth being absolute and not relative, you would just say yes or no and move on.

There’s no highbrow 

it’s just a normal sort of explanation 

Fromsoft games are like a puzzles where different pieces fit together in a certain way to advance the game

there can’t be a difficulty setting for games which involve putting puzzle pieces together. There could be hints and guides (which are available in abundance)

are you a good thinker and puzzle solver? If yes, Fromsoft games would be fun for you 

this fact becomes evident once you’ve played and completed a few Fromsoft games 

that’s why I said “it’s a very subtle point which only Souls players and veterans may appreciate”

Edited by 0verlord
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, WhatsInTheName said:

why would you lose interest and excitement? You would still continue to play how you play at your desired difficulty. How would someone else's ability to play changes your experience?

16 minutes ago, TRMNTR said:

Why? You're not understanding the basic premise of difficulties. Somebody who is really bad at the game will not have the same experience as someone who's really good at it. The difficulty setting can help close the gap in their their experiences.

Would you play a game which is short in length but only difficulty, world and lore gives originality. Play SIFU once, game is short as hell but it got good reviews just because of it's different perspective in difficulty, same as Returnal (you keep trying and learn). It depends on a game, I'm not saying devs should do this in every single game. 

Ask any gamers that some Japanese studio made this old gen looking game with RPG elements and difficulty settings would you get excited and give 10/10. I'm sure the ratings will change drastically. 

22 minutes ago, TRMNTR said:

That makes no sense. Onxy is the difficulty level in Arena, not the completion. It's akin to the difficulty levels in SP games.

No, in the context of comparison, Onxy is the ultimate aim of Ranked Arena which would and should be akin to completing the game is the ultimate aim of Fromsoft games

44 minutes ago, Heaven Angel said:

and again nobody is asking you to play this game if you're looking for easy.. 

Adding easy mode will present dilemma for players they don't need. 

Even for veteran souls players, failing to a boss for 20th time would mean switching to easy mode.

Then you would regret it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

No, in the context of comparison, Onxy is the ultimate aim of Ranked Arena which would and should be akin to completing the game is the ultimate aim of Fromsoft games

Except it isn't. The game isn't complete once you reach Onyx. You keep progressing, forever. There is no completion. And no, Onyx is not the ultimate goal. The ultimate goal is to become a better version of yourself. Every player has a ceiling and the game is "complete" once they (hypothetically) reach that.

Think of it like this...

If there were no Bronze/Silver/Gold/Platinum/Diamond levels, an average player could never hope to reach Onxy, ever. The only way this is made possible is because an average player plays with similarly skilled people, gets better, gets a better rank and so on. Without a difficulty progression, most people would bow out in the first round. Plus, what you don't understand about the system is that it scales with the players. If everybody in the pool of players is getting good, they stay at their ranks, they stop progressing even if they're getting better.

Edited by TRMNTR
  • Like 1

Wow, my post on difficulty has led to such a mature discussion :lol: Jeez guys, play how you want to rather than stopping someone else experience the same thing in a different way. The audacity to gatekeep a f**king game is real and hilarious.

• Like 4

There’s no highbrow 

it’s just a normal sort of explanation 

Fromsoft games are like a puzzles where different pieces fit together in a certain way to advance the game

there can’t be a difficulty setting for games which involve putting puzzle pieces together. There could be hints and guides (which are available in abundance)

are you a good thinker and puzzle solver? If yes, Fromsoft games would be fun for you 

this fact becomes evident once you’ve played and completed a few Fromsoft games 

that’s why I said “it’s a very subtle point which only Souls players and veterans may appreciate”

Its not difficult at all to give a simple yes or no answer - if FromSoft game has difficulty setting, would you, as a fan of their games, stop buying them and sh*t on them or not.

Now, I can understand  why you, or any other Souls Fan, would not want to answer that question. Its a lose-lose scenario for the fans whichever way they answer, and thats why the need to resort to tangents like "this will never happen" and save skin. So, its ok. Dont answer it. Lets keep your difficulty handling skills to only in-game scenarios and not real-life discussions. You can quit. 

• Like 1

It really isn't about having difficulty toggles. Its about how a game is designed from the ground up to make you face adversity and then overcome it. Difficulty in souls games is not a gatekeep mechanic to stop people from playing the game. It is used to train the player to seek different paths, learn attack patterns and attain certain levels and items before venturing forward.

In Dark Souls, there isn't a set path for you to follow. You can start the game in the catacombs if you want. But the enemy difficulty is used here as a mechanic to steer you away and find a different path. Now imagine if you could oneshot the enemies in the Catacombs as a level 10 undead. You would lose all novelty in exploration and the game just becomes walking sim with mediocre combat and janky hitboxes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WhatsInTheName said:

if FromSoft game has difficulty setting

then it’s not a Fromsoft game 

if you remove the chocolate flavour from a chocolate cake, would it still be a chocolate cake?

4 minutes ago, Nikushimi said:

It really isn't about having difficulty toggles. Its about how a game is designed from the ground up to make you face adversity and then overcome it. Difficulty in souls games is not a gatekeep mechanic to stop people from playing the game. It is used to train the player to seek different paths, learn attack patterns and attain certain levels and items before venturing forward.

In Dark Souls, there isn't a set path for you to follow. You can start the game in the catacombs if you want. But the enemy difficulty is used here as a mechanic to steer you away and find a different path. Now imagine if you could oneshot the enemies in the Catacombs as a level 10 undead. You would lose all novelty in exploration and the game just becomes walking sim with mediocre combat and janky hitboxes.

This.

8 minutes ago, b!T said:

gatekeep

There’s no gatekeeping only 

only people trying to explain Fromsoft game design to people who haven’t played these games

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nikushimi said:

Then that would be a stupid decision on the devs part. For this above example, the difficulty levels (say Normal, Easy, Easier) could work like this...

Normal: Takes 10 shots to kill

Easy: Takes 8 shots to kill

Easier: Takes 6 shots to kill

Now, the veterans would play on Normal and have the same experience. The noobs can choose to play on Easier and still have the same experience as the veterans because they're noobs. It'll take them the same effort as a veteran on Normal. However, if there were no difficulty settings in the first place, the noob and the veteran would have completely different experiences. 

4 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

then it’s not a Fromsoft game 

if you remove the chocolate flavour from a chocolate cake, would it still be a chocolate cake?

So if Game 1 (from FromSoftware) is much easier than Game 2 (also from FromSoftware), does that make Game 1 not a FromSoftware game? :P

4 minutes ago, TRMNTR said:

Then that would be a stupid decision on the devs part. For this above example, the difficulty levels (say Normal, Easy, Easier) could work like this...

Normal: Takes 10 shots to kill

Easy: Takes 8 shots to kill

Easier: Takes 6 shots to kill

Now, the veterans would play on Normal and have the same experience. The noobs can choose to play on Easier and still have the same experience as the veterans because they're noobs. It'll take them the same effort as a veteran on Normal. However, if there were no difficulty settings in the first place, the noob and the veteran would have completely different experiences. 

Ok, what would you do about the archers of Anor Londo? Don't take fall damage? Mimics that don't' hurt? Or the countless other traps and enemy mechanics?

If all you're after is a % modifier, it already exists. Why not install an easy mode mod where it makes you ignore a % of the damage?

There’s no gatekeeping only 

only people trying to explain Fromsoft game design to people who haven’t played these games

Played Fromsoft games, love them but I think if there was a difficulty toggle wouldn't make a diff. would make it easier for people to try it and not shy away, I could simply play at default difficulty. Simple as that. But like I said before the Devs should take a call and they already have taken a call so let's not drag this further. 

7 minutes ago, WhatsInTheName said:

lol. again with the tangent. Its ok man. No need to answer. You are good to go. 

Cool cool cool

Just for my knowledge, I want to know how many Fromsoft games have you completed? Not just played, but completed

and this is in no way a question of superior “skills” or “dexterity” or “youthful reflexes”

1 hour ago, Modern_Ubermensch said:

Cause difficulty in these games is not just about the number of hits 

There are traps, enemy positioning, sh*t cut-throating u from corners

sh*t raining posion on you from above 

sh*t setting the floor on fire

sh*t spewing all kinds of crazy spells while multiplying at the same time

Mimics where u least expect them

Dodging Skeleton wheels 

Fking Cursed basilisks petrifying u for good leaving you with half life.

Patches kicking u in the depths

Each item is designed to integrate with the core mechanics 

Buffs, weapon mod types specific to enemies

There is no way easy mode enthusiasts can tour these games without the game changing its whole design 

Like I said, easy mods exists on PC, usually made and balanced by one person. It doesn't breach the artistic integrity or soil the holiness of the developer vision for the rest of the Soulsbros.

1 minute ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Actually f**k this noise. I'm so mighty hyped about this game. I've never been able to finish a souls game but I'm determined to make it this time. 

I've recently finished Hades, Returnal, Death's Door so I'm now somewhat comfortable with the idea of dying and git gud. I'm honestly glad I opened up to this type of game. 

you'll be so glad I made you pre-order this :hug:

lets coop after getting the hang of the game!