Elden Ring

Engineer

7 hours ago, SaiKO said:

Funny how these things perceived as lack of features and accessibility for Western games but revolutionary for Japanese games. Yeah, hypocrisy much?

I feel you're misreading things. There is no hypocrisy here. One of the main criticisms of western open-world games has always been the map being littered with question marks all over.

Also, I've seen many people complain about the obtuse nature of the quests in this game not working out very well in an open-world setting. I myself had this problem.

As for the lack of a pause button, I agree with you on it being a QoL issue. There's no reason for the game to not have it (at the very least in the offline mode). But I personally didn't mind it too much.

But the game isn't being regarded as revolutionary because of these things. People seem to be misunderstanding that it is being praised just for removing quest markers and question marks from the map. 

Yes, they have done that, but they've also created a world with level design that subtly guides you towards interesting stuff without slapping a giant arrow mark on your face. 

This gave me an insane sense of discovery, making me feel like I found something on my own without the game leading me towards it. And the fact that some of this stuff is easily missable makes it all the more rewarding.

It also helps matters that there is pretty much zero fluff in this world. There's tons of variety in the things that you find and almost all the side-stuff is high quality content that never ceases to surprise you.

It doesn't feel like a chore either where you're just ticking off boxes just for the sake of it.

Exploration is the main USP for me in open-world games and I always tend to go off the beaten path looking for side-stuff to complete. But this gets very repetitive in most of those games after about 30 or so hours because all of it is just copy-pasted content, and I feel like I'm doing the same thing over and over.

This was far from the case for me in ER because pretty much everything feels incredibly hand-crafted and curated. And the staggering contrast in quality between these games has become even more evident for me now that I'm back to playing HFW.

Edited by STICK3Rboy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, SaiKO said:

a rant…?

Whoever thought having no quests journal or a simple written direction of active side quests in Elden Ring should be smacked on the head. 

It’s impossible to remember what any NPC said and what’s the requirement of their quests! I doubt anyone can complete most of them without settling for some online guide or something.

Plus, the vague cryptic dialogues of the NPCs and their lack of proper quest directions are just stupid. Give a flarking log!

For linear souls games that thing works. Because you will somewhat stumble upon the questpath. But not in an open world!!!

I hate how soulsgames intended that you should keep a journal for yourself and write down the details for all these cryptic quests and their requirements because you will hardly remember unless you are playing on a stretch. It feels like ‘who said what?’ That is equally a pain when in middle of these dialogues you can’t even pause the game, so you will miss their conversation and vague directions  because you had to open the door or attend a phone call or something. How hard it is to make a pause system available when you are not getting invaded and playing sp part. Demon’s Souls ps5 figured out how to do it. Why can’t FromSoftware?

These introvert japanese and their games where they basically are a shut-in and doesn’t have these requirements of life. These games requires your uninterrupted attention and chore of having a notebook in hand if you ever want to experience what the game has to offer. Funny how these things perceived as lack of features and accessibility for Western games but revolutionary for Japanese games. Yeah, hypocrisy much?

?

Jennifer Lopez Reaction GIF by NBC World Of Dance

this is so true 

10 hours ago, SaiKO said:

a rant…?

Whoever thought having no quests journal or a simple written direction of active side quests in Elden Ring should be smacked on the head. 

It’s impossible to remember what any NPC said and what’s the requirement of their quests! I doubt anyone can complete most of them without settling for some online guide or something.

Plus, the vague cryptic dialogues of the NPCs and their lack of proper quest directions are just stupid. Give a flarking log!

For linear souls games that thing works. Because you will somewhat stumble upon the questpath. But not in an open world!!!

I hate how soulsgames intended that you should keep a journal for yourself and write down the details for all these cryptic quests and their requirements because you will hardly remember unless you are playing on a stretch. It feels like ‘who said what?’ That is equally a pain when in middle of these dialogues you can’t even pause the game, so you will miss their conversation and vague directions  because you had to open the door or attend a phone call or something. How hard it is to make a pause system available when you are not getting invaded and playing sp part. Demon’s Souls ps5 figured out how to do it. Why can’t FromSoftware?

These introvert japanese and their games where they basically are a shut-in and doesn’t have these requirements of life. These games requires your uninterrupted attention and chore of having a notebook in hand if you ever want to experience what the game has to offer. Funny how these things perceived as lack of features and accessibility for Western games but revolutionary for Japanese games. Yeah, hypocrisy much?

?

Uhh, dude you need follow certain steps!

Go to Google and search for 'what to eat/excercise to increase memory power'.

Follow it thoroughly. Without fail.. 

Good luck! 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, roun90 said:

Finally Done!!

Tc4OSrT.jpg

Age of Stars Slight Spoilers

My very first From Software Platinum Trophy!!

Have to say though - this is actually one of the easiest FromSoft Titles, along with Demon's Souls (If you are a mage). BB and Sekiro were far harder.

How did you managed that stupid dragon who always onesshots you in the end????

PS- I did beat him but thats another stupid design

41 minutes ago, rushab oswal said:

How did you managed that stupid dragon who always onesshots you in the end????

PS- I did beat him but thats another stupid design

Which dragon are you talking about? There are 2 Dragons that give trophies (Lich Dragon Fortissax and Dragon Lord Placiduax - however those 2 are spelled), and there are others that are possibly story related but not giving any trophies.

Anyway I was at Vigor Soft Cap (Vigor 60), so despite having Mage armor (Light Armor) - nothing was 1-shotting me.

JAAuaeZ.jpg

Done with platinum.

Really good game with some minor bad things.

The Good

1) The combat offcourse lots of variety and ashes of war brings in more fun

2) World is huge , but isnt copy pasta, each area fells new. The capital , rivers . open areas feel so much good.

3) LOTS of bosses. i mean a lot . you can find 15-20 just roaming around.

4) Boss fights are really really well done (Except 2-3)

The Bad

1) Catacombs are repeated widely. less would have been better

2) Artificial jump in difficulty after reaching mountains. not worth the time to explore

3) Some bosses are annoying and can one shot you even on 40 vigor, that should not happen. Esp The final optional dragon and melina felt impossilbe to dodge.

4) No journal. (I just want a book with all npc dialouges recorded so i can just follow that) (this is a nitpick).

5) Dual bosss fights are just fillers .

OVERALL SOLID GAME AND MUST PLAY.

• Like 5

On 4/9/2022 at 9:16 PM, Heaven Angel said:

Uhh, dude you need follow certain steps!

Go to Google and search for 'what to eat/excercise to increase memory power'.

Follow it thoroughly. Without fail.. 

Good luck! 

Maybe soulsbros take these vague quests dialogues too important to remember over 2-3 weeks to 1 month of gametime on stretch and can afford to have their brainpower invested in. Not menial normal people like myself who cannot afford to game more than 1-1.5 hr a day after work and other life priorities. 

And thanks for your suggestion. I'll have some Branolia now. :) 

2 minutes ago, SaiKO said:

Maybe soulsbros take these vague quests dialogues too important to remember over 2-3 weeks to 1 month of gametime on stretch and can afford to have their brainpower invested in. Not menial normal people like myself who cannot afford to game more than 1-1.5 hr a day after work and other life priorities. 

2 minutes ago, SaiKO said:

1 minute ago, SaiKO said:

ok, calm down bru.. 

11 hours ago, rushab oswal said:

This.

When hes at about 25% health he shoots those beams , im level 42 vigor.

This was my kill of the Dragon Lord

The laser beams were easily avoided. The teleportation rush attack gave me some problems, but I found out -

1) You could see his shadow before he comes

2) if you keep rolling, you generate some i-frames, which saves some health almost always - unlike if you were not rolling (only running) in which case it is a 1-shot

Also congratz on the Platinum.

Looks like the ER Platinum/All Achievement Club on IVG has - 1 from Xbox, 1 from PC and 3 from PS4/PS5

Edited by roun90

9 hours ago, roun90 said:

This was my kill of the Dragon Lord

The laser beams were easily avoided. The teleportation rush attack gave me some problems, but I found out -

1) You could see his shadow before he comes

2) if you keep rolling, you generate some i-frames, which saves some health almost always - unlike if you were not rolling (only running) in which case it is a 1-shot

Also congratz on the Platinum.

Looks like the ER Platinum/All Achievement Club on IVG has - 1 from Xbox, 1 from PC and 3 from PS4/PS5

PS platinums don’t count as they were done by save-scumming 

only @Heaven Angel did it correctly on Xbox with multiple playthroughs - as the developers intended

1 hour ago, 0verlord said:

PS platinums don’t count as they were done by save-scumming 

only @Heaven Angel did it correctly on Xbox with multiple playthroughs - as the developers intended

Save scum everywhere, including Xbox (You can do it on Xbox, just look at reddit, they have detailed step-by-step how to do it). AFAIK @Heaven Angel got 2 endings by save-scumming and only did 1 ending on a subsequent play-through (which can be done in literally some 3-4 hours if you rush).

Frankly, it makes no difference. This is not like other Souls games. In one play-through, you actually unlock all endings legitimately. This is like Mass Effect 3. Finish all the steps of all endings, and finish off every single boss. At the very end -

1) Choose Option A for Ending #1

2) Choose Option B for Ending #2

3) Fast Travel to Another Place and Choose Option C for ending #3 (No combat and nothing else, literally just fast-travel)

And only 3 endings matter. Rest are all not even endings, but sub-endings. Do you remember Mass Effect 3? Choose Red, Green or Blue? It's the exact same deal here. There is no challenge left at all. No boss, no game-play, nothing.

NG+ is also no challenge in this game, because at stat-caps, you are so OP, it's yawn-worthy. And you can reach stat caps very easily in your very 1st play-through. There is no "legitimate" play-through at all. Only the very first play-through is "legitimate".

All Platinum Trophies are legitimate here, FROM just added 3 ending trophies for the heck of it. Ideally there should be only 1 trophy for reaching 1 ending. Others were not required and are a waste of IRL time.

Edited by roun90
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, roun90 said:

Save scum everywhere, including Xbox (You can do it on Xbox, just look at reddit, they have detailed step-by-step how to do it). AFAIK @Heaven Angel got 2 endings by save-scumming and only did 1 ending on a subsequent play-through (which can be done in literally some 3-4 hours if you rush).

Frankly, it makes no difference. This is not like other Souls games. In one play-through, you actually unlock all endings legitimately. This is like Mass Effect 3. Finish all the steps of all endings, and finish off every single boss. At the very end -

1) Choose Option A for Ending #1

2) Choose Option B for Ending #2

3) Fast Travel to Another Place and Choose Option C for ending #3 (No combat and nothing else, literally just fast-travel)

And only 3 endings matter. Rest are all not even endings, but sub-endings. Do you remember Mass Effect 3? Choose Red, Green or Blue? It's the exact same deal here. There is no challenge left at all. No boss, no game-play, nothing.

NG+ is also no challenge in this game, because at stat-caps, you are so OP, it's yawn-worthy. And you can reach stat caps very easily in your very 1st play-through. There is no "legitimate" play-through at all. Only the very first play-through is "legitimate".

All Platinum Trophies are legitimate here, FROM just added 3 ending trophies for the heck of it. Ideally there should be only 1 trophy for reaching 1 ending. Others were not required and are a waste of IRL time.

Thanks, I’ll be doing Xbox save scum then. All save scum is legit then