Ask The Experts

Chaztin

9 minutes ago, djanuj said:

Budget? If money is no issue then Sony MDR HW700DS is the best for that. Though it's a very old model and there is no change in that model. It's the best. But ensure you buy Japanese version of the headphones. Since US version had issues with using more than one headphones with its base whereas japanese version can add those headphones. Costs 22000 online. Import duty might be charged.

My budget is around 25-30k, 700DS are nice but I won't be able to take advantage of it's base processor while being mobile plus I don't want to give up Google functionality which newer models provides.

My budget is around 25-30k, 700DS are nice but I won't be able to take advantage of it's base processor while being mobile plus I don't want to give up Google functionality which newer models provides.
Have you checked gaming headsets like Turtle Beach or Astro? It's good and works well. Or Senheiser or Bang & Olufsen H9
According to me Bose should be the best then B&O then comes other brands. Bose are known for quality headphones.

1 hour ago, kunjanp said:

I am planning to buy a pair of wireless headphones since I have had enough of using a dongle to connect to my Pixel.

I have done a bit of research and narrowed to either Sony 1000XM2, Bose QC 35 ii or Sennheiser Pxc550.

My main usage will be Music playback from my storage library which is mainly FLAC, but once Spotify releases in India, will use that as well. Secondary usage will be using them while watching YouTube. No movie watching per se.

Noise cancelling is an important factor but not deciding. Sound quality is the priority with good enough bass without distortion.

I don't usually go on sessions ranging more than 30 mins but good cushioning might steer me otherwise.

Also build quality, since there has been some woes shadowing Sony.

Please add your expert advice/experience for the same.

Do consider Vmoda crossfade 2 wireless. Have deep bass without distorting other frequencies. 

https://www.headphonezone.in/collections/wireless-bluetooth-headphones/products/v-moda-crossfade-2-wireless

SONY - WH-1000XM2 and Sennheiser Pxc550 are also good options.

2 hours ago, djanuj said:

Have you checked gaming headsets like Turtle Beach or Astro? It's good and works well. Or Senheiser or Bang & Olufsen H9
According to me Bose should be the best then B&O then comes other brands. Bose are known for quality headphones.

Gaming headsets are well focused on gaming, they prosper when you want to boost a particular frequency with low latency but doesn't beat music orientated ones for the same price.

H9 are out of my budget. 

Bose make quality headphones but major reviews have put Sony ahead of them in ANC and Sound quality, I guess I will have to go and try them in my nearest store.

2 hours ago, amigoatul said:

Do consider Vmoda crossfade 2 wireless. Have deep bass without distorting other frequencies. 

https://www.headphonezone.in/collections/wireless-bluetooth-headphones/products/v-moda-crossfade-2-wireless

SONY - WH-1000XM2 and Sennheiser Pxc550 are also good options.

They don't have noise cancelling but will research more into these before buying.

Gaming headsets are well focused on gaming, they prosper when you want to boost a particular frequency with low latency but doesn't beat music orientated ones for the same price.
H9 are out of my budget. 
Bose make quality headphones but major reviews have put Sony ahead of them in ANC and Sound quality, I guess I will have to go and try them in my nearest store.
I get what you are saying. But this is what I feel. Most major reviewers are given these sets for free. In return for favourable reviews. Many become biased overtime. I know not all are sellouts but majority of them are. So don't rely on reviews alone. Yes. I guess you should try Bose and Sony side by side at a showroom or Croma store etc. If I were you I would buy Bose. Or Sony MDR HW700DS (Because of HDMI input)
  • Like 1

On 3/1/2018 at 12:12 AM, djanuj said:

Anyone using 4k Monitor with PS4 pro or Xbox one x and pc for gaming? Like LG 27UD88 or Other such Monitors?

Planning to buy one. Need opinions.

Also info about HDR 10 in it.

Used LG 27UD68 (non-HDR) for PS4 Pro and PC for several months. Would definitely recommend the series. However, Battlefield 1 looks terrible (blurry and CB artifacts all over) because of checkerboard rendering (upscaled from 1440p), whereas games like COD:IW (much closer to 2160p) aren't that noticeable. Go ahead if you are okay with that.

Also, I don't think the model you've mentioned supports HDR. I think some 32 inch LG monitor (that costs nearly $1K) does that (again, not fully).

If I am not wrong, there isn't a single monitor available in the market that supports HDR natively/fully without gimmicks to exploit people or negatives that renders the purchase useless. Probably won't be till next year. No interesting announcements at CES either IIRC.

• Like 1

Used LG 27UD68 (non-HDR) for PS4 Pro and PC for several months. Would definitely recommend the series. However, Battlefield 1 looks terrible (blurry and CB artifacts all over) because of checkerboard rendering (upscaled from 1440p), whereas games like COD:IW (much closer to 2160p) aren't that noticeable. Go ahead if you are okay with that.

Also, I don't think the model you've mentioned supports HDR. I think some 32 inch LG monitor (that costs nearly $1K) does that (again, not fully).

If I am not wrong, there isn't a single monitor available in the market that supports HDR natively/fully without gimmicks to exploit people or negatives that renders the purchase useless. Probably won't be till next year. No interesting announcements at CES either IIRC.
I read an article where HDR 4k Monitor are releasing in just matter of 2 weeks outside India.

4 minutes ago, djanuj said:

Not "true" 10 bit panel, apparently.

This monitor is not the holy grail we once thought.

With full 4:4:4 Chroma and HDR the max refresh is 98hz

Res/Refresh/Chroma

4K/98/HDR - 444

4K/120/HDR - 422

4K/144/HDR - 422

4K/120/SDR - 444

The Panel is an 8bit + FRC and not a true 10bit

The Asus rep also mentioned the FALD backlight technology will have adjustable settings. Likely meaning when at full 144hz, the displayed nits will probably drop down to 500-700nits

More info:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/89miah/anyone_notice_how_the_pg27uq_specs_are_slowly/

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99007-Pg27uq/page3p

Source

Let's see.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, djanuj said:
2 hours ago, kunjanp said:
H9 are out of my budget. 

I get what you are saying. But this is what I feel. Most major reviewers are given these sets for free. In return for favourable reviews. Many become biased overtime. I know not all are sellouts but majority of them are. So don't rely on reviews alone. Yes. I guess you should try Bose and Sony side by side at a showroom or Croma store etc. If I were you I would buy Bose. Or Sony MDR HW700DS (Because of HDMI input)

Yes, a lot of them are biased that's why I take a lot of info. from Reddit users who give their own review, especially ones which have multiple headsets to compare.

I need portable ones with Noise Cancelling so I am gonna choose from the three I mentioned until someone advises another. 

Bose is all round, sound and build quality you name it, but Sony has been better in current products sound wise, I just need to see if woes about their build quality and being uncomfortable are true. Plus yet to see Sennheiser in open.

Will update whatever I decide on.

Edited by kunjanp

/r/audiophile /r/headphones /r/budgetaudiophile and related sub-reddits along with head-fi.org forums.

See if these are helpful. As for gaming, I have seen many advising against buying "gaming" headsets. Instead, that the open-back headphones are much better.

(Headphone Gaming Guide)

I use AKG K712. Sound great for movies as well as gaming.

15 hours ago, Aftrunner said:

If he needs noise canceling an open back headphone isnt gonna work. 

I am a college student and noise cancelling is necessary during commute, through out college hours.

Anways, does anyone has experience with Bower&Wilkins PX? Although they are a bit more expensive but apparently sounds better of the bunch, and ANC is good as well though not as good as Sony.

Edited by kunjanp

I know that open-back aren't advisable at all for such requirements, which is why I haven't addressed the post to him entirely (only the subs and forums links are, that have vast userbase including professional experts and official representatives of brands, for kunjanp) or explicitly, rest was for others (self-explanatory).