Ask The Experts

Chaztin

1 hour ago, DinJo said:

Looking to purchase Digital Blood Pressure monitor for parents so that they can use it themselves don't need any fancy or connectivity as it would be useless require the most accurate one

@Bird Bird Bird

Omron and Dr. Morepen are good brands. In general, get an upper arm BP monitor, not the wrist type. They are better at measurement. More or less, all brands are pretty decent now. Not much of a difference. 

Whichever you get, you can get it checked while getting a reading at a doctor's clinic. Minor variations are normal (2-5 mm of Hg). If you see large variation (15 mm and above), change it. 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, Mizanurification said:

Kinda need help with upgrading my laptop with a new SSD and RAM.

Laptop: HP OMEN : SYSTEM SKU: 1HQ29PA#ACJ

Will any SSD upgrade work with it? 
How much ram can i upgrade to?
Recommendations.

Budget for both RAM and SSD: 15k.

So if this is your laptop - 

https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/omen-by-hp-15-ax200-laptop-pc-series/13810162/model/16180672/document/c05421562

It doesnt have an m.2 slot. Which means any normal SATA SSD is your best bet. Here is a really good one - 

https://www.amazon.in/Crucial-MX500-1TB-2-5-inch-SSD/dp/B078211KBB/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=1tb+ssd&qid=1571691429&s=computers&smid=AJRK4JF48YXA&sr=1-3

Looks like its got 2 memory slots running 4 GB each. 

https://www.amazon.in/Crucial-8GB-DDR4-2400-SODIMM-CT8G4SFS824A/dp/B01BIWKP58

Here is a 8 GB version of the same RAM. You can always replace your two 4GBs with 2 8GBS. 

Two points to remember -

1. I dont know how easy it is to access the SATA port and RAM slots on your PC are, some of the slim laptops are a pain in the a*s. Check youtube. If its complicated you may want to take it to a local PC shop. 
  2. You only have 1 SATA slot AFAIK so you will have to REPLACE your current Hard drive. 
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Aftrunner said:

So if this is your laptop - 

https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/omen-by-hp-15-ax200-laptop-pc-series/13810162/model/16180672/document/c05421562

It doesnt have an m.2 slot. Which means any normal SATA SSD is your best bet. Here is a really good one - 

https://www.amazon.in/Crucial-MX500-1TB-2-5-inch-SSD/dp/B078211KBB/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=1tb+ssd&qid=1571691429&s=computers&smid=AJRK4JF48YXA&sr=1-3

Looks like its got 2 memory slots running 4 GB each. 

https://www.amazon.in/Crucial-8GB-DDR4-2400-SODIMM-CT8G4SFS824A/dp/B01BIWKP58

Here is a 8 GB version of the same RAM. You can always replace your two 4GBs with 2 8GBS. 

Two points to remember -

1. I dont know how easy it is to access the SATA port and RAM slots on your PC are, some of the slim laptops are a pain in the a*s. Check youtube. If its complicated you may want to take it to a local PC shop. 
  2. You only have 1 SATA slot AFAIK so you will have to REPLACE your current Hard drive. 

I was able to open it up and clean the fans and vent.

How to make sure the laptop doesn't have m.2 slot?

Is SATA SSD much better than a normal HDD? Upgrade worthy?

Was planning to get Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250 GB NVMe M.2 PCIe and place it along with my HDD?

Edited by Mizanurification

2 hours ago, Mizanurification said:

I was able to open it up and clean the fans and vent.

How to make sure the laptop doesn't have m.2 slot?

Was planning to get Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250 GB NVMe M.2 PCIe and place it along with my HDD?

Usually your laptop specs would list the m.2 slot but I didnt see it in the list. Call HP and confirm. 

Get at least 500GB. SSD is cheap right now and you will need it. 

Short of getting a new computer this is the best upgrade you can make. I would even go as far to say that get the SSD and wait and see if you still need more RAM. Cause an SSD with 8GB will be a HUGE upgrade over your current HDD and you might not even want more RAM. 

Lastly, really consider ditching your regular HDD. I dont think your PC can take 2 HDD but even if it could then you want your SSD to have your Windows etc on it. USE HDD as external storage or something. 

Edited by Aftrunner
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Mizanurification said:

So i took a photo of the port.

Whats-App-Image-2019-10-22-at-12-22-27-P

Asked on digit.in and they are saying it will support a nvme SSD. Should i go with a NVME ssd?

Yes, this will support any M.2 ssd.

You can get a nvme SSD like Samsung 970 evo and migrate your OS from the HDD to it.

• Thanks 1

Installed "MX500 500GB M.2 Type 2280 SSD"
At first it didnt detect the SSD but after inserting it again it got detected. Did a clean install of the OS on it. 

The laptop feels totally like a brand new purchase. Totally worth the money invested on it. 

Awaiting delivery of two more 8GB RAMs. But as @Aftrunner said the SSD update is a major update in itself. :D 

• Like 1

So earlier this week the display on my Macbook Air (Early 2015) conked out. The display just went black in a sweep as I was browsing the net. After turning the laptop on/off intermittently as well as resetting the SMC and PRAM, the display has now come to life but there is a lot of horizontal lines on the screen and screen is hazy in a way that looks as if the brightness and contrast are very high. 

I am planning to take the laptop to the service center next week but I can forsee a display replacement with hefty charges which I will not be able to justify. 

Planning to get into Windows again and therefore looking for an ultraportable south of Rs. 100000 with gaming capabilities at medium settings on 1080p res. Open to portable gaming laptops as well, if anything is available in this range.

Looking forward to suggestions on both how to go about the display issue on macbook as well as new laptop recommendations.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Mizanurification said:

Need suggestions for buying a microoven. Gonna gift it to my brother, a family of two. 

Currently using a LG one, but whenever i heat something, for e. g. rice, it becomes hard. Its a convection one. Any solution for that? 

Convection just means it has a fan at the back to keep the hot air circulating and it's only used when you put it in oven mode i.e. set the temp.

I assume you are heating the rice for way too long, just put the cold rice for 30-60s on microwave auto and it shouldn't be hard.

Also, I have been using Samsung for years now and honestly they are the if you want a microwave oven combo. I don't have a model for you since they release one every 4-6 months but depending on the size, any one in the range of 12-18k would be good. Will perform great in both Microwave and oven mode.

12 minutes ago, Mizanurification said:

so samsung better than LG? 

I bake a lot and microwave oven would probably be the most used thing in the kitchen and Samsung has always produced best results. LG is not as good as it used to be in Kitchen Appliances, also I always found Samsung to be better priced than LG.

• Thanks 1

Suggestions needed for an AC for office. 1.5 ton. Is the upcoming sale a good time to buy ? Will be choosing Amazon due to GST Input availability. Window or Split and what brand are my main concerns. Let me know if someone has any inputs.

1 hour ago, eddy4823 said:

Suggestions needed for an AC for office. 1.5 ton. Is the upcoming sale a good time to buy ? Will be choosing Amazon due to GST Input availability. Window or Split and what brand are my main concerns. Let me know if someone has any inputs.

Nothing better than mitsubishi if budget is not an issue.

Even every other company say if you prefer that, then our products are no match.

On 1/25/2020 at 1:26 PM, GunnerY2J said:

Who's from Mumbai ? 

Need a shop to buy a cheap PS2.

Being offered one for 4.5 k (with hard disk) which seems very high.

I've an old PS2, which I dont use anymore .... let me know if u wanna take it off my hands.   I'm in blr though.  PM me, if you're interseted.

2 hours ago, Black_Hawk said:

I need an Electric Shaver (Wet & Dry). Does anyone have any recommendations? I see a number of them from Philips, anyone using one from their Aquatouch lineup, please share your feedback.

I got the aqua touch 3 years ago, still use it. works great for both wet and dry shaves. But with such shavers, the shorter the beard the better.

• Like 1