Ask The Experts

Chaztin

21 minutes ago, Django_3101 said:

Need help buying a device to extend display on dual monitors. Planning to set up a dual monitor with laptop for home office. I want different displays on each screen. Came across hdmi splitter but it seems it just duplicates the display on monitors instead of extending it. what options do I have? Please help

considered any compatible laptop docking stations?

7 minutes ago, Django_3101 said:

so, docking station is the only option? They are too pricey. :(

I dont think it is the only option. Suggest that as I have one in my setup and I only have that because I got it reimbursed. lesser amount of cables and easy to connect and disconnect the laptop. 

Edited by Keano

13 minutes ago, Keano said:

I dont think it is the only option. Suggest that as I have one in my setup and I only have that because I got it reimbursed. lesser amount of cables and easy to connect and disconnect the laptop. 

Yeah, no reimbursement option here and company is not lending equipments. Let's wait if we get other options or else will have to manage with single monitor. 

Thanks Surya :)

if your laptop has both hdmi port and display port - you should be able to extend it using cables provided your monitors also have those ports. A friend of mine uses this instead of a docking station. 

13 hours ago, Django_3101 said:

Need help buying a device to extend display on dual monitors. Planning to set up a dual monitor with laptop for home office. I want different displays on each screen. Came across hdmi splitter but it seems it just duplicates the display on monitors instead of extending it. what options do I have? Please help

Umm, have you tried extend setting instead of duplicate option? 

8 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

Umm, have you tried extend setting instead of duplicate option? 

I haven't tried it as I do not want to splurge without knowing if it is possible. The general feedback that I got is that 2 different ports are required for 2 monitors to enable a different display on each monitor. With splitter, the output is still coming from one port and thus both the monitors will always display the same output. Anyways, I am managing with one screen right now. It seems to be working fine and don't feel like I need another one for now. 

8 hours ago, Walker said:

Need suggestion for a 8 way power strip. Will be using it for 2x monitor, 2x modem, 2x router and one PC cab.

How's this> https://www.amazon.in/Belkin-Essential-F9E800zb2MGRY-8-Socket-Protector/dp/B0083T23AA/

Its good. I don't use one with 8 sockets, but I have the 4 socket version from Belkin, and its great.

Belkin Pivoting Surge Protector 8 Outlets

Ideally with large number of sockets something like this is better as you can pivot the sockets to fit bigger plugs that normally take up some space from the adjacent sockets. But this isn't available on Amazon right now, so I'd say go for the regular one.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 6:42 PM, l33tmaniac said:

Would recommend getting headphones instead. Something with noise cancellation that ensures you are not disturbed and is comfortable to wear. I have a Bose QC II that I use for office work and it's just amazing. My wife can watch TV in the same room and I can dial in to a meetings and not hear what's playing on the TV(I ask her to switch off in case I have to talk though ? )

Currently the prices are way high hoping it comes down in a month 

• 3 weeks later...

alright so i just upgraded my GPU to MSI GTX 2080 super. I will be upgrading my motherboard and CPU in coming months. Can someone suggest me what mobo and CPU will be good enough that wont bottleneck my gpu?

My current CPU is i7 4770 3.4Ghz and ASUS H87 Pro mobo with 32gigs ram. 

17 minutes ago, sagarjalvi said:

alright so i just upgraded my GPU to MSI GTX 2080 super. I will be upgrading my motherboard and CPU in coming months. Can someone suggest me what mobo and CPU will be good enough that wont bottleneck my gpu?

My current CPU is i7 4770 3.4Ghz and ASUS H87 Pro mobo with 32gigs ram. 

How much are you willing to spend?

Ryzen 3700X  8 core / 16 thread CPU   - 25-28k, 25k is just some optimistic meme figure that you can get through haggling at an offline store :P , 27k-28k is the price i see online.

Asus X570 TUF PLUS for 17-18k or ASUS B550 TUF for 15K, both of these two support PCIe 4.0, so won't bottleneck your GPU.

Corsair or GSkill 3200MHZ or greater  16GB DDR4 RAM for 6-7k

You can also get a Kingston A2000 1TB M2 SSD for 10k approx, it supports the NVME protocol instead of the slower SATA3.

7 minutes ago, sagarjalvi said:

so its gonna cost roughly 50-60k :censored:

can you tell me how much is my current specs bottlenecking my gpu? sorry i'm not very good with PC and bought everything till now upon reference from friends

The CPU will for current and future games, your I7 3770 has 4cores/ 8 threads,  my i5 has 4 cores only, next gen games will make use of the PS5XSX's 8 core 16 thread AMD CPU, in this gen's open world games you will feel the bottle neck, when you go to any large city with a lot of NPCs around you will notice FPS drops, that is because all the CPU cores are getting maxed out 100%.

Currently they recommend getting a ryzen 3600 which has 6 cores and 12 threads, but i'm suggesting you the 3700x because it has 8 cores, 16 threads, just like PS5 and XSX, probably will be more future proof.

btw unless any of the parts physically conk off nobody upgrades CPU, Mobo, RAM etc for 4-5 years, so in that sense 60k doesn't cost all that much

i see thanks for the detailed explanation. My current mobo and cpu are already like 5-6 years old so i can do one thing just build another PC with those parts as i'm in need of another pc for my rendering work and use 2080 super with new mobo and cpu as i have most of the parts available except for mobo and cpu. 

Just now, sagarjalvi said:

i see thanks for the detailed explanation. My current mobo and cpu are already like 5-6 years old so i can do one thing just build another PC with those parts as i'm in need of another pc for my rendering work and use 2080 super with new mobo and cpu as i have most of the parts available except for mobo and cpu. 

You will need to upgrade the ram also, current motherboards don't have support for DDR3 RAM, so you will have to get new ones.

• Like 1