Ask The Experts

Chaztin

So I bought a new monitor which doesn't have in-built speakers nor audio in or out, just HDMI/DP ports. It's connected to my PS5.

What's the best and cheapest way to get audio out of this setup?

Edited by Aloy

3 minutes ago, Ethan_Hunt said:

Assuming there is no 3.5mm headphone jack in your monitor either, then you'd probably need some alternative audio routing device likes this:

Okay just to clarify, use a HDMI to HDMI/3.5mm splitter which then goes into the speakers?

Most cheap speakers on Amazon use 3.5mm input so I'll need a splitter with 3.5mm out, something like this: https://www.amazon.in/SaiRetail-Optical-Toslink-Extractor-Splitter/dp/B07H94D77V which is ~4.5K. I'm not aware how these weird S/PDIF/Optical connectors work.

Is there a cheaper alternative, except headphones that is?

1 minute ago, Aloy said:

Okay just to clarify, use a HDMI to HDMI/3.5mm splitter which then goes into the speakers?

Most cheap speakers on Amazon use 3.5mm input so I'll need a splitter with 3.5mm out, something like this: https://www.amazon.in/SaiRetail-Optical-Toslink-Extractor-Splitter/dp/B07H94D77V which is ~4.5K. I'm not aware how these weird S/PDIF/Optical connectors work.

Where do you intend to route your audio output? Home theater or regular 2.1 speakers? 

3 minutes ago, Aloy said:

Is your monitor not HDMI 2.1 compatible? 4k 60hz atleast?

23 minutes ago, Aloy said:

Regular 2.1 speakers. The ones on Amazon work with 3.5mm jack.

Then yeah, essentially, you'd need something that would split the HDMI audio from your PS5 and connect to your speakers. The link you posted has a perfect pictorial representation of how each input and output is connected appropriately, the second image specifically from the top shows you how the devices need to be arranged.

I used to browse around eBay back in the day for these kinds of connectors and you'd really find some cheap and decent ones on it. Unfortunately, Amazon is a true rip-off hub for these kind of rare devices. :( 

Edited by Ethan_Hunt
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ethan_Hunt said:

Then yeah, essentially, you'd need something that would split the HDMI audio from your PS5 and connect to your speakers. The link you posted has a perfect pictorial representation of how each input and output is connected appropriately, the second image specifically from the top shows you how the devices need to be arranged.

I used to browse around eBay back in the day for these kinds of connectors and you'd really find some cheap and decent ones on it. Unfortunately, Amazon is a true rip-off hub for these kind of rare devices. :( 

It's not worth at all to pay 4.5k for such a splitter. 

At best this should cost 500-1000.

Add the expense of a decent set of speakers as well and you are looking at Ps5 wireless headphones territory.

7 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

It's not worth at all to pay 4.5k for such a splitter. 

At best this should cost 500-1000.

Add the expense of a decent set of speakers as well and you are looking at Ps5 wireless headphones territory.

It absolutely isn't worth anywhere near 4.5K. I'm surprised that TVs and monitors these days are just doing away with basic audio out ports. I mean a headphone jack should be mandatory IMO. A lot of people still rely on them. 

1 hour ago, Aloy said:

Regular 2.1 speakers. The ones on Amazon work with 3.5mm jack.

You can use a USB DAC with a 3.5mm out and connect your speakers to it. I'm using the Logitech GX Pro wired headphones which come with a USB DAC and it works with the PS5. The console will detect it as USB headphones, but you should be able to connect speakers with a 3.5mm connector to it and it should work fine.

Not sure if this will work - but you try using those check USB C to headphone jack phone adapters if you have one handy. The above should definitely work, but the USB-C to heaphone adapters are 500-700 and a decent USB DAC (Creative/Logitech) will be about 2k

Edited by psinide
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ethan_Hunt said:

It absolutely isn't worth anywhere near 4.5K. I'm surprised that TVs and monitors these days are just doing away with basic audio out ports. I mean a headphone jack should be mandatory IMO. A lot of people still rely on them. 

100%. I use my regular Creative 2.1 desktop speaker by having them plugged into the 3.5mm port of my monitor.

The HDMI from the PS4/Laptop plugs straight into the monitor.

My problem is that my monitor has 1 HDMI,1 VGA, 1 Display. 

Because I now use both laptop and PS4 with the monitor, I wish I bought one with 2 HDMI ports. Have to plug in and out every day.

2 minutes ago, North said:

100%. I use my regular Creative 2.1 desktop speaker by having them plugged into the 3.5mm port of my monitor.

The HDMI from the PS4/Laptop plugs straight into the monitor.

My problem is that my monitor has 1 HDMI,1 VGA, 1 Display. 

Because I now use both laptop and PS4 with the monitor, I wish I bought one with 2 HDMI ports. Have to plug in and out every day.

You can use multi-HDMI input boxes, they come with a physical switch and are inexpensive. They will be good enough for 1080p gaming. The 4K passthroughs might be expensive

Want to get my dad something for father's day. Any recs?

I'm thinking of replacing his keyboard since my dad spends a lot of time typing.

Please recommend a solid option. Will not be using for gaming, must be somewhat long-lasting.

Preferably backlit, but no RGB needed!

Edited by North

21 hours ago, North said:

Want to get my dad something for father's day. Any recs?

I'm thinking of replacing his keyboard since my dad spends a lot of time typing.

Please recommend a solid option. Will not be using for gaming, must be somewhat long-lasting.

Preferably backlit, but no RGB needed!

Keychron k2 with white backlight.