Ask The Experts

Chaztin

11 minutes ago, North said:

Switched to MacOS. Its not bad, idk if II like it more than windows, but the hardware being a lot faster makes a lot of difference.

1. Control C, Control V doesn't work here. Can I enable it somehow? I need this.

2. I'm using it with an external monitor, KB+M. But if I close the lid, it goes to sleep. How can I fix it? I know how to on windows, but can't see the option here. 

3. My mouse feels janky on this. It was too slow before, so I increased the tracking speed, but it feels laggy and unresponsive now. Logitech M331 Silent Wireless Mouse. Working fine on my windows laptop.

There is a cmd button on mac keyboard, afaik that is what is used on mac, not ctrl.

12 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

There is a cmd button on mac keyboard, afaik that is what is used on mac, not ctrl.

yes but the bluetooth keyboard I'm using does not have a command button......

I had a G304 and it started giving the double click problem. Since it was under warranty, I sent it to service centre.

Now after 15 days, Logitech calls up & says there is no stock & it won't be coming for quite some time & they'll give a full refund.

So now, which mouse to buy? I don't play on PC, G304 was an impulse buy.

MX Master 3 is the best one, right? Going for 7.5-8K. Any other options?

19 hours ago, North said:

yes but the bluetooth keyboard I'm using does not have a command button......

Use 'Win button + C' and 'Win button + V' to Copy and Paste on MacOS with a Windows keyboard. Win Button will act as the CMD button for all shortcuts.

3 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

I had a G304 and it started giving the double click problem. Since it was under warranty, I sent it to service centre.

Now after 15 days, Logitech calls up & says there is no stock & it won't be coming for quite some time & they'll give a full refund.

So now, which mouse to buy? I don't play on PC, G304 was an impulse buy.

MX Master 3 is the best one, right? Going for 7.5-8K. Any other options?

MX Anywhere 3 is going for 6500, that is also a good option.

1 hour ago, him2anshu said:

Use 'Win button + C' and 'Win button + V' to Copy and Paste on MacOS with a Windows keyboard. Win Button will act as the CMD button for all shortcuts.

Thanks! The mouse is also working smoothly now, I guess it was something with the drivers or something.

The only problem left is that I have to keep the Macbook open while using it with the monitor. How do I change that setting?

I want to use it with the monitor and keep the lid closed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Using this. Excellent mouse, hand curvature etc. 

Are there any other options? Not looking for cheaper options necessarily but I assumed that something better might have launched since Master 3 launched.

10 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

something better might have launched since Master 3 launched

There is Mx Vertical too, said to be better for hand.

There can't be that much possible improvement here. Like apart from logitech what options are there for big comfortable mouse?

I like G502. But apart from that have only used SteelSeries Rival 600. G502 has better grip as i like to keep whole palm on mouse.

2 hours ago, North said:

Thanks! The mouse is also working smoothly now, I guess it was something with the drivers or something.

The only problem left is that I have to keep the Macbook open while using it with the monitor. How do I change that setting?

https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT202351

This works 90% of the time for me

Connect KB/M -> connect the display -> close lid -> use KB/M to wake up

How well does your M1 mac run with a monitor connected?

I have the 16" 2019 one, it sounds like its gonna take off when connected to a monitor :censored:

4 hours ago, North said:

Try Amphetamine.

Edit: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/amphetamine/id937984704?mt=12

Been using for a bit. Pretty neat. 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, chops10 said:

https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT202351

This works 90% of the time for me

Connect KB/M -> connect the display -> close lid -> use KB/M to wake up

How well does your M1 mac run with a monitor connected?

I have the 16" 2019 one, it sounds like its gonna take off when connected to a monitor :censored:

Haven't used it that much yet, but its fine. The dongle heats up a bit though.

There is no fan in the M1 Macbook Air, so the noise element is not there really. 

I can't wake it up with my KB/M. Doesn't work for me. For now, it works as long as I have the power cord connected, of all things. 

18 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Try Amphetamine.

I figured it out, and its the dumbest sh*t ever. Just keep the power cable connected, and you can close the lid and still continue working on your monitor like its a PC.

So it works now but also wtf Apple? Just let me handle it in the settings. Thats just weird. I don't need to constantly have the Macbook charging, the battery life on this thing is insane.

I'm worried that this will end up causing more problems.

18 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Try Amphetamine.

Downloaded the app. Can't see an option for using with an external monitor.

Even if I pick the 'infinite session' option, it doesn't help. I close the lid, it goes right off to sleep.

2 hours ago, North said:

I don't need to constantly have the Macbook charging, the battery life on this thing is insane.

I'm worried that this will end up causing more problems.

Keeping mac connected to power adapter does not hurt the battery life. They have a safeguard feature where the power is switched to adapter and battery does not charge after 100%. It is actually recommended by some people. I have been using Macbook Air since 2013 and the battery held its charge above 1300-1400 charge cycles. After 6 years I started getting the “Service Recommended” message but all is working fine. It still gives me 3-4 hours of backup.

Edited by him2anshu

1 hour ago, North said:

Downloaded the app. Can't see an option for using with an external monitor.

Even if I pick the 'infinite session' option, it doesn't help. I close the lid, it goes right off to sleep.

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/prevent-apple-laptops-sleeping-closed-67516.html

This ?