Ask The Experts

Chaztin

3 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

- Orbi does not let select seperate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 ghz bands, so you're at the mercy of the router and pairing device when moving rooms on which band will it select.

I am not sure what this means.

Does it not have separate 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks between which you can switch manually? Like just one network named by "Orbi_XXX" and it decides which band you should get?

Or does it only happen while switching rooms?

6 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Does it not have separate 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks between which you can switch manually? Like just one network named by "Orbi_XXX" and it decides which band you should get?

You can only see one Wifi which would be ex. Orbi_Kunjan and it would auto switch based on how far/signal are you from device.

Though this is a way to separate out the 2 channels , Netgear has really poor software with just some basic info and most of its settings is hidden. Especially if you are coming from Asus Router you will find netgear to be abysmal.

16 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Only 1 SSID is published and it will include 5ghz & 2.4ghz. The router will decide on the band for a device based on the compatibility, distance from satellite etc. They have a similar feature called as 'Smart Connect' on their non-mesh routers. Not very effective with non-mesh ones. This is the description of that setting from the router page: "

Enable Smart Connect - Let the router select the best WiFi band for your WiFi connection. With Smart Connect, you must use the same WiFi network name (SSID), security options, and password for all radios for which you enable Smart Connect. One Wireless Network Name (SSID) for 2.4G and both 5G radios

I'm looking for a Wifi 6 tri-band mesh system as well, so far only the Orbi RBK50 fits the bill.

Edited by psinide

19 minutes ago, psinide said:

Only 1 SSID is published and it will include 5ghz & 2.4ghz. The router will decide on the band for a device based on the compatibility, distance from satellite etc. They have a similar feature called as 'Smart Connect' on their non-mesh routers. Not very effective with non-mesh ones. This is the description of that setting from the router page: "

Enable Smart Connect - Let the router select the best WiFi band for your WiFi connection. With Smart Connect, you must use the same WiFi network name (SSID), security options, and password for all radios for which you enable Smart Connect. One Wireless Network Name (SSID) for 2.4G and both 5G radios

I'm looking for a Wifi 6 tri-band mesh system as well, so far only the Orbi RBK50 fits the bill.

RBK50 is Wifi-5.

TP-Link W7200/X68 are good, value options but not available in India.

Asus Zenwifi ET8 is solid but extremely overpriced in India.

25 minutes ago, DinJo said:

You can only see one Wifi which would be ex. Orbi_Kunjan and it would auto switch based on how far/signal are you from device.

Though this is a way to separate out the 2 channels , Netgear has really poor software with just some basic info and most of its settings is hidden. Especially if you are coming from Asus Router you will find netgear to be abysmal.

So I guess it's either RBK50 or figuring out if I can run a physical wire (don't want to).

And I need a few ports which Orbi provides as I want my Ps5 & XSX to be hard wired.

My current router is from Asus too so might have to adjust.

1 minute ago, KunjanPSD said:

RBK50 is Wifi-5.

Damn... can't believe I missed that! Thanks bringing it up, I had already added it to my cart. I'm going to look at getting something from the US. Everything is very overpriced here. 

3 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

And I need a few ports which Orbi provides as I want my Ps5 & XSX to be hard wired.

You can get a 4-port gigabit switch and connect it to one of the LAN ports on the Orbi to expand your wired ports.

1 hour ago, KunjanPSD said:

Just 1 SSID visible as others said. Splitting means tinkering with command line interface. And you never know how when it'll get set back to single SSID. 

45 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

So I guess it's either RBK50 or figuring out if I can run a physical wire (don't want to).

RBK50 satellites have 4 gigabit ports each. Extremely useful ! 

9 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Just 1 SSID visible as others said. Splitting means tinkering with command line interface. And you never know how when it'll get set back to single SSID. 

RBK50 satellites have 4 gigabit ports each. Extremely useful ! 

I guess RBK50 it is. What's the best price? I see 1 router + 1 satellite going for 20k.

28 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Will wait for a sale and then buy. 

The connection between the router and the satellite can atleast work through a wooden door?

It works through multiple walls. Between my router and satellite, there are 3 walls. Works without hiccups, and I get full 500 Mbps with satellite too. 

Satellite color changes to show you link strength. 

44 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

It works through multiple walls. Between my router and satellite, there are 3 walls. Works without hiccups, and I get full 500 Mbps with satellite too. 

Satellite color changes to show you link strength. 

Great. Now will order it whenever the price drops or has some decent card discount.

These routers from Asus which tout 3000sq/ft too, similar to Orbi, any experience with those?

Edited by KunjanPSD

3 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

Just get something that has wifi 6 support in my opinion. I think you should not be worried about wifi 6e support (which is different from wifi 6)

5 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

These are not tri-band?

5 hours ago, DinJo said:

Google search which i did now tells its dual band. Tri-band is way better for mesh devices. 

Yes, mine is dual. Since I have plenty of satellite in place, probably overkill with Ethernet overhaul, so never really cared for tri-band. I have 3x M5 as nodes and 1x X60 as main Deco serving 1600 sq. ft., so cannot comment if you’d be needing tri-band or quad band for that matter 

Edited by Aercy

2 hours ago, DinJo said:

TriBand is required to run a dedicate band to manage connections between Mesh Device.

Then how is Deco dual band mesh are working? And probably has more users than other brands, going by Amazon ratings