Ask The Experts

Chaztin

On 1/21/2022 at 5:20 PM, North said:

img%5D 

I'm doing as it says - but wtf why. should I be worried? I'm worried if I've lost all my data and sh*t.

Its a consistent issue. Happening to me every 3-4 days. I switch on PS4, and play once a day.

Obviously something's f**ked but any idea what? 

Each time I have to re-initialise PS4, re-download Apex Legends, set up my game all over again

Hey everyone,

Can someone please suggest a good mechanical keyboard under 6-10K? I may upgrade from my entry level red gear piece. Some stuff I'm looking for is:

• Full size with the keypad since I'll be using it for work too
  • Keys with the lowest noise option since I may carry it into office later this year (I think one type of key produces the least sound?)
  • Need to buy in INR and the bill has to have my full details (Like and Amazon bill)

Some optional stuff for this purchase:

• RGB lighting is optional, and I am fine if all lights are a single colour. Just need a way to turn them off when needed
  • Media volume controller Knob like the read gear piece has, I am fine with pressing function + volume up/down too
  • Wrist rest since I can also purchase something separately 

Also, does anyone have ideas for a good quality cooling pad under 5K?

Spending all my money before valentine's so I can go broke in front of the GF:fear1:

• Haha 2

Saw videos and Amazon listings for many keyboards, confused af between the choices. Some Cosmic Byte and Read Gear models are well withing budget but that won't be an upgrade. Then I saw the Logitech G213, not a mechanical one, but reviews seem positive overall. The other Logitech models are stupidly overpriced in India. :wacko: No clue what to go for...

Edited by LordSpymaster

Need to invest in a great laptop.

Use case: Research, lot of video calls, presentations and data science projects.

Won't game much but decent battery and good internals.

I know Mac fits the bill but I don't like MacOS and just more comfortable with Windows.

Need good speakers and trackpad.

16" preferred, else 14" is fine too.

Budget is flexible but ready to spend if I can get good value for it.

Not too heavy.

Please suggest.

26 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Use case: Research, lot of video calls, presentations and data science projects.

I know Mac fits the bill but I don't like MacOS and just more comfortable with Windows.

Not too heavy.

Please suggest.

Mac with Parallels, running Windows. :P

Tbh, if you need good camera for video calls, nothing beats the Mac. 

What internals are you looking for ? There are decent options on Intel side with good battery. AMD ones available in India tend to gave a dedicated GFX card, eating up battery life. 

I'm using LG Gram since my primary use case wasn't heavy, rather downloads, some calls, media playback etc, and it lasts for a good 8-9 hours. 

32 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Not too heavy.

Please suggest.

Mac is literally what you want

On the windows side look for Lenovo Thinkpad T series or X1 Carbon series, Dell XPS or Latitude 7000 series, and HP EliteBook( they probably have some ultrabook equivalent also )

All these are business grade laptops so you have like 3 years warranty standard.

1 minute ago, PhantomShade said:

Dell XPS

No for battery life. Infact I wouldn't recommend Dell at all. I'm using a Lattitude for work, and it's battery is also not so great. Has micro stutters with MXM3. Exceptionally bad audio. 

6 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Mac with Parallels, running Windows. :P

Tbh, if you need good camera for video calls, nothing beats the Mac. 

What internals are you looking for ? There are decent options on Intel side with good battery. AMD ones available in India tend to gave a dedicated GFX card, eating up battery life. 

I'm using LG Gram since my primary use case wasn't heavy, rather downloads, some calls, media playback etc, and it lasts for a good 8-9 hours. 

I am leaning towards Intel too as the support for most data science libraries is solid.

Having a dedicated GPU wouldn't be bad though in case I need to handle some large datasets but will be very minimal.

I was looking at XPS and something from Asus.

4 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

Mac is literally what you want

On the windows side look for Lenovo Thinkpad T series or X1 Carbon series, Dell XPS or Latitude 7000 series, and HP EliteBook( they probably have some ultrabook equivalent also )

All these are business grade laptops so you have like 3 years warranty standard.

XPS seems good. I don't want to go with HP.

Will look at T/X1.

2 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

No for battery life. Infact I wouldn't recommend Dell at all. I'm using a Lattitude for work, and it's battery is also not so great. Has micro stutters with MXM3. Exceptionally bad audio. 

Aah, great. These suckers need to do better and catch up to Apple.

1 hour ago, KunjanPSD said:

Not too heavy.

Please suggest.

If by data science you mean running ML models, then it might not be the right time for M1 Macs yet. The native M1 support for ML libraries and some core apps (e.g. anaconda) is still sparse. So, if you do decide to go for M1s, be ready for teething issues or end up using Rosetta /  Parallels.  

Edited by WhatsInTheName

6 minutes ago, WhatsInTheName said:

If by data science you mean running ML models, then it might not be the right time for M1 Macs yet. The native M1 support for ML libraries and some core apps (e.g. anaconda) is still sparse. So, if you do decide to go for M1s, be ready for teething issues or end up using Rosetta /  Parallels.  

Yeah, I mean ML and AI models.

I know Native support isn't there yet but you can bypass it by getting Xcode directly, installing Homebrew and then Miniforge (community driven-conda). You can get support on arm64 then.

It's not ideal but gets the job done. No need for Rosetta/Parallels.

That being said, I don't like MacOS. Even small things like pulling up two folders to drag and drop as compared to right click and cut/control+X, just irks me. And many more.

Lack of good shortcuts in MS excel.

Windows is just more productive for me.

Need suggestions for a reliable wifi6 router preferably with mesh support. Need 8 LAN ports if possible. Area to be covered roughly 1300sqft.

Budget preferably upto 6k. Can extend if no good options available in that range.

Cheers.

Edited by StormShadow

18 hours ago, StormShadow said:

Need suggestions for a reliable wifi6 router preferably with tri-band and mesh support. Need 8 LAN ports if possible. Area to be covered roughly 1300sqft.

Budget preferably upto 6k. Can extend if no good options available in that range.

Cheers.

get a cheap network switch for this, i guess tplink makes consumer ones.

• Thanks 1

On 2/12/2022 at 10:12 PM, PhantomShade said:

get a cheap network switch for this, i guess tplink makes consumer ones.

Yes can do that. Thanks. But still need suggestion for a good wifi6 router with mesh support for future-proofing. I can see a few from tplink (without mesh) and asus seem to be a bit pricey but wanted to know if going for asus under the 10k range would make any sense?

Cheers.

Edited by StormShadow

19 minutes ago, DinJo said:

Is there any difference in having home branch of your saving account closer to your location? It's for HDFC bank

Haven’t visited my ICICI bank’s branch in over 10 years. Not even once. 
Might be useful if you’ve multiple relationships with the bank though, faster query resolution etc. or if you’re an HNI. Personal banking and all. 

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone using a TV as a monitor? I have a dual 27 inch monitor and want to consolidate and replace both with a single TV.

Intent is to use it for programming, also play games (PC and consoles). Been looking at quite a few models, but nothing seems to fit the bill (need a smaller screen that has all the bells and whistles). The Samsung Q90A 50 inch seems good, but worried that it may be too large - 43 inch would be ideal I guess. I have a 150 x 75 desk btw and don’t mind wall mounting. Recommendations on screen size and models would be welcome :) 

• 1 month later...