Ask The Experts

Chaztin

20 hours ago, b!T said:

Need help folks. I am planning to upgrade my Internet to 500 Mbps connection from the current 80 Mbps one. I have an ONT + Router combo that I am using now. ISP will freely upgrade the ONT to the 5G one with gigabit ports. My router is already a 5G one and I know it has gigabit ports(TP-link Archer C64). So I have a RJ45 cable wired from upstairs(ONT) to downstairs(Router) through the wall that connects both. Do I need to upgrade the cable as well? I am not sure whether it will support speeds > 100 Mbps. Does RJ45 cables have that restriction?

Check which RJ45 cable you have. If you have CAT6 or even CAT 5e, you are fine, both of these are capable of handling speeds upto 1000 Mbps, or a Gigabit per second.

The category should be written on the cable itself.

Edited by Rey
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rey said:

Check which RJ45 cable you have. If you have CAT6 or even CAT 5e, you are fine, both of these are capable of handling speeds upto 1000 Mbps, or a Gigabit per second.

The category should be written on the cable itself.

I doubt whether it's cat 6. Laid it a good 7 years ago but will check. Thanks man.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Are there any good choices from HP for 15/16/17" laptops?

I have been given an option to either go with HP or Mac and I need a Windows machine.

But I have no idea about HP.

Suggestions needed, budget is 1.5L max.

If you need a larger screen get the LG Gram ? Their 15/16 inch laptops are as light as Macbook Air with decent config. My Dad uses a 16 inch which is almost as light as my Asus Zenbook (14inch).

1 hour ago, SuperT said:

If you need a larger screen get the LG Gram ? Their 15/16 inch laptops are as light as Macbook Air with decent config. My Dad uses a 16 inch which is almost as light as my Asus Zenbook (14inch).

Gram wouldn't be a graphical or CPU powerhouse though. But damn isn't it lightweight like crazy. Much lighter than Air. And excellent battery. 

Terrible keyboard, but the screen is matte this year finally. 

1 hour ago, SuperT said:

I have an LG gram 16 right now but my employer is shifting to HP and Mac only because support was horrendous with LG and they want to consolidate vendors.

So I don't have any other option.

36 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Gram wouldn't be a graphical or CPU powerhouse though. But damn isn't it lightweight like crazy. Much lighter than Air. And excellent battery. 

Terrible keyboard, but the screen is matte this year finally. 

Yeah, that 12th gen Gram has been catching my eye. Keyboard is meh, replacement keys are hardly available, LG asks you to change the whole keyboard.

Anyway, that's not an option.

HP or Mac only. And I need Windows.

Any idea where to locate an MS office key for cheap(and which aint region locked, if at all its a thing)? I was using the one provided by doctor sahab for almost a decade. Just trying to get a new one for new notebook.

I do have access to office 365 using my office laptop but just trying to get one for personal device

5 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

Are there any good choices from HP for 15/16/17" laptops?

I have been given an option to either go with HP or Mac and I need a Windows machine.

But I have no idea about HP.

Suggestions needed, budget is 1.5L max.

I have been using HP Envy. VFM in my opinion. No issues whatsoever.

14 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

What about Spectre x360?

There is an option under 1.5L and it's 16".

Looks decent but haven't heard great reviews.

The Spectre's build quality is basically more premium than the Envy or else both are more or less the same.

Would not recommend convertibles if you don't have any particular use case for it. More the moving parts, delicate it is. Visit a HP world store near you and have a look for yourself.

16 hours ago, godspeed4476 said:

Any idea where to locate an MS office key for cheap(and which aint region locked, if at all its a thing)? I was using the one provided by doctor sahab for almost a decade. Just trying to get a new one for new notebook.

I do have access to office 365 using my office laptop but just trying to get one for personal device

There was a reseller on TE, but can't find him now. However, tons of cheap options if you search. Pick the highest rated vendor from Allcdkeys, can't go wrong. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

There was a reseller on TE, but can't find him now. However, tons of cheap options if you search. Pick the highest rated vendor from Allcdkeys, can't go wrong. 

Daktar saheb, any links for allcdkeys? i am searching and getting lots of different hits.

Any input on the website licenseproviders?

25 minutes ago, godspeed4476 said:

Daktar saheb, any links for allcdkeys? i am searching and getting lots of different hits.

Any input on the website licenseproviders?

I bought from Keyesd a few months ago. Worked fine. 

• Like 1