Ask The Experts

Chaztin

23 minutes ago, North said:

Spilled my entire cup of coffee over my macbook yesterday. Was behaving a little funky as the liquid was seeping inside but managed to turn it off. 

Wiped it clean, kept it upturned the whole night to dry it out. Trying it now - everything seems to work just fine. Charges, speaker, trackpad all good.

Keyboard also WORKS fine and isn't sticky but key press feels soft. It used to be quite clickety but now the keys depress in a very soft/slow manner. 

Is there any fix for this problem? Its not worth going and getting something replaced as it still does work fine.

Keyboard gone for good IMO. The sugar from coffee will cause all sorts of issues. 

1 hour ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Keyboard gone for good IMO. The sugar from coffee will cause all sorts of issues. 

Oh noo :wallbash:

Its working fine as I type this, its just the keys that are feeling soft. 

Should I take it to apple/3rd party repair now, or when something eventually stops working?

Any idea how much this is gonna cost me in the worst case scenario where I have to replace the keyboard? 

1 hour ago, North said:

Spilled my entire cup of coffee over my macbook yesterday. Was behaving a little funky as the liquid was seeping inside but managed to turn it off. 

Wiped it clean, kept it upturned the whole night to dry it out. Trying it now - everything seems to work just fine. Charges, speaker, trackpad all good.

Keyboard also WORKS fine and isn't sticky but key press feels soft. It used to be quite clickety but now the keys depress in a very soft/slow manner. 

Is there any fix for this problem? Its not worth going and getting something replaced as it still does work fine.

Replacement. No other option.

Even if it's working fine, the sugar traces beneath the membrane will stay, you won't get that clickety response again.

In last 2 months, I saw the same happening to one MacBook and one HP, even if you were quick to drain it down, it's gone for good.

20 minutes ago, North said:

Should I take it to apple/3rd party repair now, or when something eventually stops working?

Any idea how much this is gonna cost me in the worst case scenario where I have to replace the keyboard? 

I don't think Apple is a good bet, you will probably be asked to replace anything which has a liquid trace. 3rd parties might be able to replace just the keyboard and also clean any trace on the underside of the metal chassis.

9 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Replacement. No other option.

Even if it's working fine, the sugar traces beneath the membrane will stay, you won't get that clickety response again.

In last 2 months, I saw the same happening to one MacBook and one HP, even if you were quick to drain it down, it's gone for good.

Found this video, dude takes off all the keys and cleans out the gunk. 

Comment section sounds legit, everyone seems to have fixed their sticky keys but I am a little hesitant to poke a toothpick into an expensive a*s laptop :( 

But everyone in the comments also look like they spilled coffee onto their macbook so maybe its not f**ked quite yet. 

Edited by North

30 minutes ago, North said:

Try Rapid Repair, Gurgaon. They do pick and drop. 

Regardless, the video has convinced me a little that I want to at least get the keys off, clean the them off and put the keycaps back on. 

Except Idk if I can do it myself. Will try to visit repair shop and see if they're willing to just remove keycaps and clean it out for me. 

21 minutes ago, North said:

Found this video, dude takes off all the keys and cleans out the gunk. 

Comment section sounds legit, everyone seems to have fixed their sticky keys but I am a little hesitant to poke a toothpick into an expensive a*s laptop :( 

But everyone in the comments also look like they spilled coffee onto their macbook so maybe its not f**ked quite yet. 

It's not that simple. You can clean the gunk which is at the top of these membranes. But the sugar traces in the actual butterfly/scissor mechanism? Yeah, good luck cleaning that.

8 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

It's not that simple. You can clean the gunk which is at the top of these membranes. But the sugar traces in the actual butterfly/scissor mechanism? Yeah, good luck cleaning that.

Yeah I ain't messing with that - but I'm gonna try and get clean the surface b/w the membrane and keycaps and pray that does something, seems to have worked for a fair few people as I can tell from the comment section. Only choice rn. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2023 at 11:33 AM, KunjanPSD said:

Guys, address change application for DL in Delhi has been pending on approval of endorsements since 24th Jan.

Have raised grievance, tried Twitter. Nothing works.

Where to escalate this?

Bump.

10 minutes ago, harjas said:

Yes

Any experience with Asics Nimbus 25/Kensei/SuperBlast/Meta?

I am looking to replace my UB4s and React 2s.

UB22 (not sure how UB23/Light line up) for the first replacement but not sure about the 2nd, heard a lot about the Asics.

Citywalk store doesn't have all the options to try while the New Adidas/Nike stores covers the rest.

Not looking for any react sole, can give ZoomX a try.

Vaporflys are a no go for everyday use.

Edited by KunjanPSD