Ask The Experts

Chaztin

Can't since it doesn't play 4K MKV rips and has sketchy YouTube support  :fear1:

You do know Amazon fire TV also has android in it? You can install MX player and play any format you want.

And for YouTube support you always can use YouTube Vance....ad-free version of YouTube. It's only for Android though

2 hours ago, djanuj said:

You do know Amazon fire TV also has android in it? You can install MX player and play any format you want.

And for YouTube support you always can use YouTube Vance....ad-free version of YouTube. It's only for Android though

The Gen 3 Amazon Fire TV runs on Fire OS 6, which is based on Android API level 25. I am not sure if you need to sideload apps like the previous iterations or you can install apps directly.

But i do I think that you may want to check on what "any format" files this is capable of playing. It's 4k@60HZ with HDR is limited.

It can do Hardware accelerated up to 3840x2160p (4K) @ 60fps, 35 Mbps, Color space 8-bit and 10-bit rateinput with HDR10 support.

However 4K UHD remuxes often have bitrates of over 50 Mbps.It also lacks a USB port so forget attaching an external hdd.

It does work best as a streaming device and but not so much as a media playback device.

The Gen 3 Amazon Fire TV runs on Fire OS 6, which is based on Android API level 25. I am not sure if you need to sideload apps like the previous iterations or you can install apps directly.

But i do I think that you may want to check on what "any format" files this is capable of playing. It's 4k@60HZ with HDR is limited.
It can do Hardware accelerated up to 3840x2160p (4K) @ 60fps, 35 Mbps, Color space 8-bit and 10-bit rateinput with HDR10 support.

However 4K UHD remuxes often have bitrates of over 50 Mbps.It also lacks a USB port so forget attaching an external hdd.

It does work best as a streaming device and but not so much as a media playback device.

I bought fire TV gen 3. You can sideload apps. I did it. And it is capable of playing any 4k files you can. And when it comes to usb support it accepts usb. But via OTG. Well why do you need usb when you can stream it from your pc to fire TV? Or just play directly from fire TV? Anyhow upto you. I would suggest Nvidia shield or fire TV. But firetv is cheapest.

2 hours ago, djanuj said:

I bought fire TV gen 3. You can sideload apps. I did it. And it is capable of playing any 4k files you can. And when it comes to usb support it accepts usb. But via OTG. Well why do you need usb when you can stream it from your pc to fire TV? Or just play directly from fire TV? Anyhow upto you. I would suggest Nvidia shield or fire TV. But firetv is cheapest.

My pc is a dinosaur, Athlon X 3. I won't be able to stream 4k content using plex etc.

Can you tell me more about the usb OTG. How large a HDD have you connected? All my HDDs are in NTFS format and 2/4tb. Is it USB 2.0 or 3.0.

Does Fire TV work with IR? Have a Harmony One remote which works on IR only.

I am currently trying to see if I can get someone to bring in the Nvidia Shield from the US. Fingers crossed :unsure:

My pc is a dinosaur, Athlon X 3. I won't be able to stream 4k content using plex etc.

Can you tell me more about the usb OTG. How large a HDD have you connected? All my HDDs are in NTFS format and 2/4tb. Is it USB 2.0 or 3.0.

Does Fire TV work with IR? Have a Harmony One remote which works on IR only.

I am currently trying to see if I can get someone to bring in the Nvidia Shield from the US. Fingers crossed :unsure:

I haven't connected HDD yet to Amazon fire TV. I have used usb hub to connect keyboard and mouse. The OTG is normal Phone Microusb OTG cable. You cannot use Harmony remote because Amazon provides its own remote. Which is Bluetooth. It has mic in it. For Alexa....however if you really want to use IR Remote then you will have to buy this FLIRC IR adapter ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS2V7GM/ )

For further info check the below link

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-fire-tv-3-supports-usb-peripherals-via-otg-cable-including-usb-drives-keyboards-mice-flirc-ethernet-hubs-etc/

However as per Amazon, external storage is not allowed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201739980.

But unofficially you can....though no guarantees.

My sony all in one died yesterday and thus need a new one. I am not looking to go DIY since I really don't have the time for R&D and like the integrated controls of tv and system, so mainly looking for another all one, can be soundbar design as well. Still I am open to suggestions for going some other way.

I don't need 4k pass through or HDCP since I use HDMI ARC as my tv supports full PCM Dolby/Dts through ARC.

I don't have a definite budget but looking for a price to performance one rather than high end.

Right now I am researching a bit on Yamaha YT-1840, Onkyo HTS 3800 or Sony RT40 for a bit of a lower range. 

So please suggest any you have in mind.

20 hours ago, HEMAN said:

Guys suggest a budget smart bulb that can be controlled with an phone app. Like lowering brightness and changing colors. Remember Budget one not the 5k or 8k ones. 

Go for yeelight range of smart lighting solutions. Order from ebay.in or aliexpress. LINK

I personally use their RGB LED Strip and it is amazing.

2 hours ago, kunjanp said:

My sony all in one died yesterday and thus need a new one. I am not looking to go DIY since I really don't have the time for R&D and like the integrated controls of tv and system, so mainly looking for another all one, can be soundbar design as well. Still I am open to suggestions for going some other way.

I don't need 4k pass through or HDCP since I use HDMI ARC as my tv supports full PCM Dolby/Dts through ARC.

I don't have a definite budget but looking for a price to performance one rather than high end.

Right now I am researching a bit on Yamaha YT-1840, Onkyo HTS 3800 or Sony RT40 for a bit of a lower range. 

So please suggest any you have in mind.

Recommend the Onkyo HTIB. I recently upgraded mine from an Onkyo 3300 to an Onkyo HT-S9800THX. It is amazing and well worth the money.

I am in love with the sound fidelity and channel separation the unit offers and was a major-major upgrade for me personally.

Coming to what you have stated with regards HDCP 2.2 not being important, I personally feel that having HDCP 2.2 compliant devices across your entire setup is extremely important. You should ideally have all your devices connected to your receiver and then use the HDMI out on the receiver to connect with the TV.

This eradicates any possible HDMI handshake issues and will give you full power of the receiver's audio decoding capabilities which will far surpass anything that your TV can do. Something else to keep in mind is that ARC doesn't support object based sound formats like Dolby Atmos or DTS:X.

If you have a little more budget, suggest demoing the Onkyo 5800 or 7800. They both have the same speaker package with top firing Atmos enabled speakers. They only differ in terms of the receiver, the 7800 has two hdmi outs and more hdmi inputs and few more bells and whistles that the 5800 receiver lacks.

In my A/V setup, my PC, PS4 PRO, Xbox One X and Tata SKY HD box are all connected to the Onkyo 9800 receiver. The main HDMI out is connected to a Hisense m7000 65" 4K HDR TV and the sub HDMI out is connected to a 23" Dell Monitor (SP2309W).

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pushy said:

linky?

butt, how's the headset?

Check out this recommended store on AliExpress. Find great products at low prices!
http://s.aliexpress.com/muQBnMBf?fromSns=Copy to clipboard

Havent tried it myself. Check the reviews on Aliexpress and headfi. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, L33TWiZaRd said:

Recommend the Onkyo HTIB. I recently upgraded mine from an Onkyo 3300 to an Onkyo HT-S9800THX. It is amazing and well worth the money.

I am in love with the sound fidelity and channel separation the unit offers and was a major-major upgrade for me personally.

Coming to what you have stated with regards HDCP 2.2 not being important, I personally feel that having HDCP 2.2 compliant devices across your entire setup is extremely important. You should ideally have all your devices connected to your receiver and then use the HDMI out on the receiver to connect with the TV.

This eradicates any possible HDMI handshake issues and will give you full power of the receiver's audio decoding capabilities which will far surpass anything that your TV can do. Something else to keep in mind is that ARC doesn't support object based sound formats like Dolby Atmos or DTS:X.

If you have a little more budget, suggest demoing the Onkyo 5800 or 7800. They both have the same speaker package with top firing Atmos enabled speakers. They only differ in terms of the receiver, the 7800 has two hdmi outs and more hdmi inputs and few more bells and whistles that the 5800 receiver lacks.

In my A/V setup, my PC, PS4 PRO, Xbox One X and Tata SKY HD box are all connected to the Onkyo 9800 receiver. The main HDMI out is connected to a Hisense m7000 65" 4K HDR TV and the sub HDMI out is connected to a 23" Dell Monitor (SP2309W).

I don't have any budget constraints but I want my next big upgrade/investment to be when HDMI 2.1 comes out, I would curse myself if I spend this much only to miss out on newer spec. That's why I want to keep it around 30k till the newer spec comes to market, but anyways i will look into what you have suggested before making a decision.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys ,
Can someone recommend good pair of iem/headphone under $200.
Usage - for daily commute in the bus 2 hrs per day.
Music - mostly old country songs/bollywood/ with some rock in between.
Source - sportify , offline stored on sd card, apple music
Device - Samsung galaxy s8,
Current iem- KZ es 10.
Currently I am thinking about audio technica ATH-E40/m50x, RHA 750.
Please suggest some , can extend budget a bit if really good upgrade .
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...