Jump to content

Ask The Experts


Chaztin
 Share

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Need to invest in a great laptop.

 

Use case: Research, lot of video calls, presentations and data science projects.

Won't game much but decent battery and good internals.

 

I know Mac fits the bill but I don't like MacOS and just more comfortable with Windows.

Need good speakers and trackpad.

16" preferred, else 14" is fine too.

 

Budget is flexible but ready to spend if I can get good value for it.

Not too heavy.

 

Please suggest.

 

Mac with Parallels, running Windows. :P

 

Tbh, if you need good camera for video calls, nothing beats the Mac. 

What internals are you looking for ? There are decent options on Intel side with good battery. AMD ones available in India tend to gave a dedicated GFX card, eating up battery life. 

I'm using LG Gram since my primary use case wasn't heavy, rather downloads, some calls, media playback etc, and it lasts for a good 8-9 hours. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Need to invest in a great laptop.

 

Use case: Research, lot of video calls, presentations and data science projects.

Won't game much but decent battery and good internals.

 

I know Mac fits the bill but I don't like MacOS and just more comfortable with Windows.

Need good speakers and trackpad.

16" preferred, else 14" is fine too.

 

Budget is flexible but ready to spend if I can get good value for it.

Not too heavy.

 

Please suggest.

 

Mac is literally what you want

On the windows side look for Lenovo Thinkpad T series or X1 Carbon series, Dell XPS or Latitude 7000 series, and HP EliteBook( they probably have some ultrabook equivalent also )

All these are business grade laptops so you have like 3 years warranty standard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, PhantomShade said:

Dell XPS

 

No for battery life. Infact I wouldn't recommend Dell at all. I'm using a Lattitude for work, and it's battery is also not so great. Has micro stutters with MXM3. Exceptionally bad audio. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

 

Mac with Parallels, running Windows. :P

 

Tbh, if you need good camera for video calls, nothing beats the Mac. 

What internals are you looking for ? There are decent options on Intel side with good battery. AMD ones available in India tend to gave a dedicated GFX card, eating up battery life. 

I'm using LG Gram since my primary use case wasn't heavy, rather downloads, some calls, media playback etc, and it lasts for a good 8-9 hours. 

I am leaning towards Intel too as the support for most data science libraries is solid.

Having a dedicated GPU wouldn't be bad though in case I need to handle some large datasets but will be very minimal.

I was looking at XPS and something from Asus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

 

Mac is literally what you want

On the windows side look for Lenovo Thinkpad T series or X1 Carbon series, Dell XPS or Latitude 7000 series, and HP EliteBook( they probably have some ultrabook equivalent also )

All these are business grade laptops so you have like 3 years warranty standard.

XPS seems good. I don't want to go with HP.

Will look at T/X1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

 

No for battery life. Infact I wouldn't recommend Dell at all. I'm using a Lattitude for work, and it's battery is also not so great. Has micro stutters with MXM3. Exceptionally bad audio. 

Aah, great. These suckers need to do better and catch up to Apple.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KunjanPSD said:

Need to invest in a great laptop.

 

Use case: Research, lot of video calls, presentations and data science projects.

Won't game much but decent battery and good internals.

 

I know Mac fits the bill but I don't like MacOS and just more comfortable with Windows.

Need good speakers and trackpad.

16" preferred, else 14" is fine too.

 

Budget is flexible but ready to spend if I can get good value for it.

Not too heavy.

 

Please suggest.

 

If by data science you mean running ML models, then it might not be the right time for M1 Macs yet. The native M1 support for ML libraries and some core apps (e.g. anaconda) is still sparse. So, if you do decide to go for M1s, be ready for teething issues or end up using Rosetta /  Parallels.  

Edited by WhatsInTheName
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, WhatsInTheName said:

 

If by data science you mean running ML models, then it might not be the right time for M1 Macs yet. The native M1 support for ML libraries and some core apps (e.g. anaconda) is still sparse. So, if you do decide to go for M1s, be ready for teething issues or end up using Rosetta /  Parallels.  

Yeah, I mean ML and AI models.

I know Native support isn't there yet but you can bypass it by getting Xcode directly, installing Homebrew and then Miniforge (community driven-conda). You can get support on arm64 then.

It's not ideal but gets the job done. No need for Rosetta/Parallels.

 

That being said, I don't like MacOS. Even small things like pulling up two folders to drag and drop as compared to right click and cut/control+X, just irks me. And many more.

Lack of good shortcuts in MS excel.

 

Windows is just more productive for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Need suggestions for a reliable wifi6 router preferably with mesh support. Need 8 LAN ports if possible. Area to be covered roughly 1300sqft.

Budget preferably upto 6k. Can extend if no good options available in that range.

 

 

 

Cheers.

Edited by StormShadow
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, StormShadow said:

Need suggestions for a reliable wifi6 router preferably with tri-band and mesh support. Need 8 LAN ports if possible. Area to be covered roughly 1300sqft.

Budget preferably upto 6k. Can extend if no good options available in that range.

 

 

 

Cheers.

 

get a cheap network switch for this, i guess tplink makes consumer ones.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/12/2022 at 10:12 PM, PhantomShade said:

 

get a cheap network switch for this, i guess tplink makes consumer ones.

 

Yes can do that. Thanks. But still need suggestion for a good wifi6 router with mesh support for future-proofing. I can see a few from tplink (without mesh) and asus seem to be a bit pricey but wanted to know if going for asus under the 10k range would make any sense?

 

 

Cheers.

Edited by StormShadow
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, DinJo said:

Is there any difference in having home branch of your saving account closer to your location? It's for HDFC bank


Haven’t visited my ICICI bank’s branch in over 10 years. Not even once. 
Might be useful if you’ve multiple relationships with the bank though, faster query resolution etc. or if you’re an HNI. Personal banking and all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone using a TV as a monitor? I have a dual 27 inch monitor and want to consolidate and replace both with a single TV.

 

Intent is to use it for programming, also play games (PC and consoles). Been looking at quite a few models, but nothing seems to fit the bill (need a smaller screen that has all the bells and whistles). The Samsung Q90A 50 inch seems good, but worried that it may be too large - 43 inch would be ideal I guess. I have a 150 x 75 desk btw and don’t mind wall mounting. Recommendations on screen size and models would be welcome :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, LordSpymaster said:

What's the rule for carrying liquor via flights into Gujarat from Haryana? Since I'm visiting for 2 days, will I be allowed to carry it in? 

I don't think you can carry liquor into Gujarat. 

@Heaven Angelwill know more. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

Best productivity laptop between 80-100k?

Decent compute needed but not the priority.

Screen + trackpad are the priority.

No gaming.

 

Any suggestions? Or am I stuck with Inspiron 14/15? 

Any experience with Inspiron 15 Plus?

Can't find many great reviews but overheating is mentioned in some.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

Best productivity laptop between 80-100k?

Decent compute needed but not the priority.

Screen + trackpad are the priority.

No gaming.

 

Any suggestions? Or am I stuck with Inspiron 14/15? 

Pretty much all the work related laptops that I see have terrible screen. Trackpads are usually good. 

 

Even for a work/productivity. If you won't be using external monitor, then I would suggest a gaming laptop even if you don't want to game because the screen quality is beautiful in those. 

 

My current HP work laptop (office) have this whitish tone that I just can't get around. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, dante77 said:

Pretty much all the work related laptops that I see have terrible screen. Trackpads are usually good. 

 

Even for a work/productivity. If you won't be using external monitor, then I would suggest a gaming laptop even if you don't want to game because the screen quality is beautiful in those. 

 

My current HP work laptop (office) have this whitish tone that I just can't get around. 

Some suggestions please?

Don't want something bulky and AMD chips which are battery efficient will be good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...