Doom Eternal

Heaven Angel

2 hours ago, Black_Hawk said:

Anyone else who isn't liking the platforming in the game? Jump to platform and those protruding bars to get to another platform... uuf those things are annoying me so much!

Yes as @radicaldude said, we have played many cover based shooters which has becoming more and more common while this game breakes the generic version of fps genre and gives fast paced, platforming style shooter. You can approach each combat situation in different ways. 

I personally jumped back to Borderlands 3 after playing 40+ hours of Doom eternal, it's a day and night difference. 

9 hours ago, Heaven Angel said:

I recommend you checking the map frequently for the BFG ammo, it shows up on map. On every level where fight is going to happen there's always atleast one BFG ammo lying around, use your infamous parkour abilities to get a clean sweep of the area before going on a kill spree. 

I learned this the hard way, i always find the ammo or boosters when an insane fight is over which i could've finished in an instant or made it easier atleast. 

How effective is BFG against superdemons like Hell Barons, Arch-vile etc?

1 hour ago, radicaldude said:

How effective is BFG against superdemons like Hell Barons, Arch-vile etc?

Very effective, it's the best weapon in DOOM. But game's difficulty also plays the part in it, if you're playing on I'm too young to die you'll get an insta kill on almost all demons including Hell barons and Cyberdemons which have most health. On Nightmare difficulty it'll take 50% of Hell barons and Cyberdemons health and 70% of archvile but they'll get stunned for few seconds giving you time to do extra damage. 

Slayer hunter on the other hand have shields on them which needs to be taken out for the BFG to take effect. Marauder blocks the BFG easily unless your timing is right. 

19 minutes ago, Heaven Angel said:

Very effective, it's the best weapon in DOOM. But game's difficulty also plays the part in it, if you're playing on I'm too young to die you'll get an insta kill on almost all demons including Hell barons and Cyberdemons which have most health. On Nightmare difficulty it'll take 50% of Hell barons and Cyberdemons health and 70% of archvile but they'll get stunned for few seconds giving you time to do extra damage. 

Slayer hunter on the other hand have shields on them which needs to be taken out for the BFG to take effect. Marauder blocks the BFG easily unless your timing is right. 

The most irritating thing about Marauders is that they dont have a health bar, and are somewhat more difficult than boss battles as well.

Doom Eternal, I reckon is one of the most IMPORTANT game(s) for first person shooting genre, apart from being insanely fun. Movement, momentum and insane speeds are absolutely essential to enjoy this game/beat this game at higher difficulties. Doom has put fun back into FPSes. It has totally resurrected the genre. I hate it when shooters try to mollycoddle you, like most modern day shooters. Doom Eternal improves FPS skills as well. I mean modern shooters dont have concept of circle strafing, platforming, jump strafing, which are absolutely essential when you have a coliseum full of demons baying for your blood. And many of us have become so accustomed to such mechanics, we have forgotten what made games challenging and fun in the first place :D .

This video is so profound at so many levels. Even masterpieces like Half Life (1, 2 and its episodes) were fast, and had elements of movement, momentum, platforming etc that were crucial for survival. I really hope more modern games take cues from the rebooted Doom Franchise.

BTW, I havent played Rage 2 yet, so I was pondering if it is similar to the rebooted Doom franchise? can someone throw some light on its gameplay? I was planning to pick it up next. Worth playing?

PS:- Doom Eternal should have a tagline, frag like its 99 :D

57 minutes ago, stingray said:

Rage 2 is trash boss, don’t even go there. Had the unfortunate privilege to purchase it and have only played for 2-3 hrs at max. Yes shooting is great but everything else is just complete bad - not made by ID too

Is it just as fast and frantic, buttersmooth 60fps?

On 3/31/2020 at 11:52 PM, radicaldude said:

I have read that later levels are really intense. How intense are they? Can you gimme an idea sans spoilers ofcourse :P

They're intense enough to actually leave you breathless :P

Some of the firefights get pretty ridiculous with the kind of bigger enemies being thrown in multiples at you at once.

But then you do get another weapon apart from the BFG to quickly turn the tide of battle. 

And then there is the Cultist Base master level which takes the intensity up a notch. I'm yet to play the Arc Complex master level but I'm sure it's going to be no different.

-------------------------------

This guy is godly!

Edited by STICK3Rboy
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, radicaldude said:

Is it just as fast and frantic, buttersmooth 60fps?

It's pretty good as far as gameplay goes. It's no Doom but I'd put it above most shooters. It's just held back by trash tier level design, open world busywork and bad pacing.

8 hours ago, STICK3Rboy said:

They're intense enough to actually leave you breathless :P

Some of the firefights get pretty ridiculous with the kind of bigger enemies being thrown in multiples at you at once.

But then you do get another weapon apart from the BFG to quickly turn the tide of battle. 

And then there is the Cultist Base master level which takes the intensity up a notch. I'm yet to play the Arc Complex master level but I'm sure it's going to be no different.

-------------------------------

This guy is godly!

Holy hell. what sorcery is this? :O

@STICK3Rboy

I cant get enough of that gameplay video. He seems to be playing on a mortally challenged level. His play through seems to be faster than normal DE speeds. Is he using some suit mod, or some unlockable perk that you get after beating the game, or something?

Also I would love to see how he tackles the Marauder charging towards him.

The joys of playing on keyboard/mouse and having every weapon tied to a hotkey. I'm playing with controller with max sensitivity and back buttons and it can be as hectic as that (I'll post couple of videos later), but bringing up weapon wheel every single time always breaks the flow. It is never going to be as smooth and fast as keyboard fully mapped to every single weapon.

22 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

The joys of playing on keyboard/mouse and having every weapon tied to a hotkey. I'm playing with controller with max sensitivity and back buttons and it can be as hectic as that (I'll post couple of videos later), but bringing up weapon wheel every single time always breaks the flow. It is never going to be as smooth and fast as keyboard fully mapped to every single weapon.

I wonder which mouse is he using? That video made me want to try speedrunning. He lands all his rockets like a dream. Generally Arachnotrons tend to dodge rockets when shot from a distance. Plus he is using flamebelch perfectly