Doom Eternal

Heaven Angel

6 hours ago, TRMNTR said:

PS - Reduce the weapon wheel delay to the lowest (70ms I think).

I am keeping it at 140ms because LB can be used in 2 ways

click - quick swap previous weapon 

hold - weapon wheel

to have differentiation between these 2 functions, you should have a higher ms time lag for the wheel 

24 minutes ago, Panopticon said:

hold - weapon wheel

to have differentiation between these 2 functions, you should have a higher ms time lag for the wheel 

I haven't used the click functionality much at the moment. Will give it a try.

3 hours ago, Vaibhavp said:

Dude, given an option between m+kb vs controller, I would choose controller for fps games.

It's not about which one let's you aim a few miliseconds faster. I find controller more enjoyable.

Especially Series controllers that feel super responsive.

Same, it's comfort for me though more than enjoyment per se, no rebinding the keys, no making awkward movements with your fingers to hit said keys for even non fps games, it's simply too ez and hassle free on controller..

Only BF4 i use kbm and that is only because controller support is sh*t on that, and everyone else uses kbm in mp, so don't want to lose an advantage.

1 hour ago, Panopticon said:

hold - weapon wheel

Your click will act as weapon swap even with 70ms delay. There's no real reason to keep weapon wheel on longer delay. 70ms is 4 to 5 frames while click is just 1 frame.

25 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

Your click will act as weapon swap even with 70ms delay. There's no real reason to keep weapon wheel on longer delay. 70ms is 4 to 5 frames while click is just 1 frame.

He may be long-clicking when it gets really intense. But yeah, what you said makes sense. I'll stick with 70ms and see how it goes.

Edit - On a separate note, I'm liking the game more than Doom 2016. ^_^

Edited by TRMNTR

On 7/14/2021 at 12:24 AM, CarbonCore said:

@Panopticon may have been right. Apparently, you need a longer delay to pull-off QS between two weapons. I haven't personally tried it yet but will give it a go today.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TRMNTR said:

@Panopticon may have been right. Apparently, you need a longer delay to pull-off QS between two weapons. I haven't personally tried it yet but will give it a go today.

I'm using paddles on the controller for weapon switch and one click swaps them without bringing up the wheel. Maybe the bumpers are too mushy for a quick swap.

4 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

I'm using paddles on the controller for weapon switch and one click swaps them without bringing up the wheel. Maybe the bumpers are too mushy for a quick swap.

It's not the buttons. The bumper buttons on the Xbox controllers are click buttons instead of the mushy ones (like the face buttons). What the guy (in the video) is saying is that if you want to be really quick, the trick is to press both the QS and Shoot buttons at the same time. According to him, that only works if the weapon wheel latency is set high. I'll try with 70ms and higher today to see if there's anything to it.

Edit:

He's actually talking about using the controller on PC. Maybe this doesn't affect consoles. To be more clear...

Edited by TRMNTR

6 hours ago, TRMNTR said:

It's not the buttons. The bumper buttons on the Xbox controllers are click buttons instead of the mushy ones (like the face buttons). What the guy (in the video) is saying is that if you want to be really quick, the trick is to press both the QS and Shoot buttons at the same time. According to him, that only works if the weapon wheel latency is set high. I'll try with 70ms and higher today to see if there's anything to it.

Edit:

He's actually talking about using the controller on PC. Maybe this doesn't affect consoles. To be more clear...

Yeah what he's talking about is different than what we were discussing. There is a way to bypass weapon switching animation by pressing fire+switch at the same time, but it apparently doesn't work with 70ms weapon wheel. Personally I think even 70ms is too slow, I want an option to bring it up instantly and have 4 weapons of your choice tied to 4 d-pad shortcuts. So L1+up instantly switches to shotty, L1+down to MG etc.

1 hour ago, CarbonCore said:

Yeah what he's talking about is different than what we were discussing. There is a way to bypass weapon switching animation by pressing fire+switch at the same time, but it apparently doesn't work with 70ms weapon wheel. Personally I think even 70ms is too slow, I want an option to bring it up instantly and have 4 weapons of your choice tied to 4 d-pad shortcuts. So L1+up instantly switches to shotty, L1+down to MG etc.

I tried different latencies today and 70-110 didn't play well with QS. Anything above was fine.

This guy plays with a delay of 110ms. I played some this weekend; still at 70ms but that occasionally messes up QS. Probably just me though. Might try going up a bit.

On 7/15/2021 at 10:03 PM, CarbonCore said:

Wouldn't that break the flow of combat? You'd have to stop moving to switch weapons.

On 7/19/2021 at 2:09 AM, TRMNTR said:

This guy plays with a delay of 110ms. I played some this weekend; still at 70ms but that occasionally messes up QS. Probably just me though. Might try going up a bit.

Wouldn't that break the flow of combat? You'd have to stop moving to switch weapons.

Yeah it would. Maybe with L1+X, L1+Y would work like in AC games.

14 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

Yeah it would. Maybe with L1+X, L1+Y would work like in AC games.

PC controller players have so many options though. Check out SmvR using D-Pad for QS.

Just started it via gamepass. Playing back to back with Doom 2016, immediately apparent Eternal plays better.

Graphics are much better too especially on Series S where Doom 2016 is One S version.

9 hours ago, TRMNTR said:

Completed the main game on Nightmare. It's one of the toughest games I've ever played. Thoroughly enjoyed it! Also, much better than Doom 2016.

LMAO, I will only be playing on hurt me plenty. People say it's hard even on that setting.

2 hours ago, Vaibhavp said:

LMAO, I will only be playing on hurt me plenty. People say it's hard even on that setting.

It is indeed pretty hard. Now that I've completed it, I'm not sure if it was worth it considering the limited time I have for video games. :P

Nevertheless, it felt like a good accomplishment.