PlayStation vs Xbox vs Nintendo thread

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-11-15-the-big-xo19-interview-xbox-boss-phil-spencer

Gamers in general, there is sometimes a tendency that the more walls we put up around things, the more valuable it is. But if we're focused on growing the games industry, we should not be less accessible. We should be more accessible. We had this argument for years over cross-play. Should we allow people to play across different platforms? Or does that somehow diminish the value of an individual platform?

The thing at the highest level, which will probably get me in trouble, is as gamers you should focus on what you want, not focus on, like, my P&L [profit and loss statement], or the P&L of the console you chose to invest in. I see this dialogue about somebody worried that somehow Xbox is gonna make less money, or their console is gonna make less money if they tell me a game is going to be on a different platform before it actually comes out, or it's gonna be in a subscription, which is really what I want, but somehow that's gonna mean less money for them so I don't want them to do that because I'd rather pay more money so...

You should focus on you as a gamer and the things that matter to you. We as the people running the business - I am incented to run a good business inside of Microsoft and in the long term. I've been here for 31 years. I don't know that I'll make 31 more, but I'm not going anywhere tomorrow. We're building an Xbox business for the long run. I'll tell you, Game Pass today is a strong part of that, and it continues to get stronger, and it supports the building of great IP.

Politely asking all the arm chair analyst to STFU and go play games ?

Edited by triggr happy ss
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, KnackChap said:

Are people even surprised now? You can sum up in the entire gen in 2 photos

Heavily exaggerated though partly true. This gen is not kind to Xbox, BioWare and EA

A new Mass Effect game is reportedly in the works at BioWare Edmonton under Mike Gamble.

https://kotaku.com/sources-bioware-plans-a-complete-overhaul-for-anthem-1839892415

Edited by Mysteryman

Phil Spencer talks a lot without actually telling you anything, dudes got a talent I can tell you that. He never actually discloses any number, not even fking MAUs anymore :lol: 

He recently said Gears 5 sold more than Gears 4 (no numbers) and bots went crazy saying "see how GP doesn't affect sales". Turns out, his Gears 5 "sales" includes downloads as GP :rofl: 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

Phil Spencer talks a lot without actually telling you anything, dudes got a talent I can tell you that. He never actually discloses any number, not even fking MAUs anymore :lol: 

He recently said Gears 5 sold more than Gears 4 (no numbers) and bots went crazy saying "see how GP doesn't affect sales". Turns out, his Gears 5 "sales" includes downloads as GP :rofl: 

? He is telling the truth or not ,Who the hell cares as long as gamepass can help me save money? 

So stupid when people worry about how a trillion dollars company will make money ?

21 minutes ago, Bauji said:

You guys aren't bored of console wars yet? :yawn:

3 minutes ago, triggr happy ss said:

Apparently not coz Phil Spencer lies alot and I will expose him ?

Honestly, some amount of flamewars are good. They make new launches all that more exciting imo. Forums would be pretty boring otherwise.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Playstationdude said:

Honestly, some amount of flamewars are good. They make new launches all that more exciting imo. Forums would be pretty boring otherwise.

Cool man. I don't contribute as much as other regulars here, so whatever the junta finds 'exciting'...

Edited by Bauji

I watched xo19,

My 6 word description- Mobile game galore. Corporatey and dispassionate.  

I don’t care about cloud gaming and subscription. It won’t be long before they raise the subscription price like Netflix and all. The game companies will probably remove more content, release the game via subscription and then add in basic content as dlc. They will then start adding subscription tiers and whatnot and in the end when you take an intelligent account, you would have spend more than you were spending when you were buying disks. My biggest fear is that we might loose our power to choose and forced into subscription as the only option. I.e Subscription exclusivity.

Moreover, here is another list I need to keep an eye on, don’t we have enough organizing and list keeping to do in life as is?

I just want my AAA single player game disks.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, kmkaks said:

I don’t care about cloud gaming and subscription. It won’t be long before they raise the subscription price like Netflix and all.

Depends on the price and you should care about cloud gaming/sub if you are an avid player or super casual. Either way, you should.

In coming years, majority of the games will be available to stream and with high internet speeds/connectivity, it makes it possible to stream without actually having to spend money on hardware. 

Second, how much price would be a deal breaker? Currently buying 1-2 games a month at $30-60 is still expensive than subbing out to play.

If MS can get new titles on their streaming service, how would that be bad for anyone? You will be paying $10? Heck even at $20 you are getting yourself a great deal + other games. Play it or not, can't deny how good it will be.

The game companies will probably remove more content, release the game via subscription and then add in basic content as dlc.

So does every subscription... Keep things fresh and release new stuff. DLCs are going to be DLCs except for 1st party where you get best edition. If you liked the game, get the DLCs; or not. Not a game breaker. Not every game has Hearts of Stone level of DLC and when happens, those are worth paying.

They will then start adding subscription tiers and whatnot and in the end when you take an intelligent account, you would have spend more than you were spending when you were buying disks.

Speculation. Been 2 years now, still no such thing. The so called tiers of standard and ultimate have been actually great.

My biggest fear is that we might loose our power to choose and forced into subscription as the only option. I.e Subscription exclusivity.

Literally would never happen as discs will always be on sale. Be it music or movies or video game.

Moreover, here is another list I need to keep an eye on, don’t we have enough organizing and list keeping to do in life as is?

There is no list or any sort of complication to keep an eye on. If anything goes on GP, there is a buzz and if you can't find, you literally have to start the app to see what's new.

I just want my AAA single player game disks.

And you can still have it. 

Imagine thinking GamePass is complex and hard to keep up or thinking it will end disc supply. ??

List of games I've got to play this year:

1. Forza Horizon 4 
  2. Gears 5
  3. The Outer Worlds
  4. Bloodstained
  5. Hellblade
  6. Blair Witch
  7. Astroneer
  8. Metro Exodus
  9. AoE I and II Definitive edition
  10. Sunset
  11. Ruiner
  12. and a bunch more along with upcoming games

Total spent: $11 + 3 months free code

Total actual cost if you bought disc (not even counting ultimate editions): ~$450

At 50% off: ~$225

At 75% off: ~$112

At 90% off: ~$45

Still costs more than GP and get worse editions. Very hard decision to make. ? 

Taking only AAA titles like Exodus + FH4 + Gears 5 + Outer Worlds alone would cost $240. You would be waiting months to get that at 50% off. Forget about ever getting at $1. Even if you rent it out, you are still paying more. ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

Total spent: $11 + 3 months free code

Total actual cost if you bought disc (not even counting ultimate editions): ~$450

At 50% off: ~$225

At 75% off: ~$112

At 90% off: ~$45

Still costs more than GP and get worse editions. Very hard decision to make. ? 

Taking only AAA titles like Exodus + FH4 + Gears 5 + Outer Worlds alone would cost $240. You would be waiting months to get that at 50% off. Forget about ever getting at $1. Even if you rent it out, you are still paying more. ?

Yup.

I find it insane how people don't see just how much VFM you're getting here and come up with all kinds of hypothetical future scenarios of how everything will be worse to justify what is IMO an irrational aversion to the subscription model.

Well, it's their loss I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, dangalphthegrey said:

:lol: How old are you dude ? Feels like someone just hit puberty, learnt english and got into gaming recently. Nice arm-chair analysis though. You got a big bright future here on IVG by the looks of it :rofl:

Well. Thank you.

Your response is so mature! It’s so heartening to see such bright and intelligent professionals.

You are the kind of person who brings hope for the future of humanity. Cheers.