PlayStation vs Xbox vs Nintendo thread

20 minutes ago, Heaven Angel said:

So you can't even get a refund straight but if you're from India then you get blocked from the chat. 

Woah, that's some support on PSN .

Blocking and all is sh*t, yes.

However, for refunds I guess the onus is on the buyer to make an informed purchase decision.

1 minute ago, Playstationdude said:

Blocking and all is sh*t, yes.

However, for refunds I guess the onus is on the buyer to make an informed purchase decision.

The fact that DLC is region locked itself is backward a*s. Even Nintendo figured it out with the Switch. There's also no way to know which region your digital game belongs to if it doesn't have in-game store. I've been screwed before by buying Old Hunters from wrong region, essentially costing me as much as full game of Bloodborne because of double purchase. If you have multiple region accounts you have to be very careful on PS4.

48 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

The fact that DLC is region locked itself is backward a*s. Even Nintendo figured it out with the Switch. There's also no way to know which region your digital game belongs to if it doesn't have in-game store. I've been screwed before by buying Old Hunters from wrong region, essentially costing me as much as full game of Bloodborne because of double purchase. If you have multiple region accounts you have to be very careful on PS4.

Before buying any DLC, just search for the base game on PSN (i.e. go to DLC link from base game instead of direct search)

Once on base game page, if the option to download comes up - base game is from that region. Otherwise if option to buy with price shown comes up - that means base game is not from that region.

Only talking about digital purchases BTW. Not ideal or convenient - but it is what it is unfortunately.

8 hours ago, kunjanp said:

Did you make the purchase in some other currency? Or was your CC set to some other currency? Because this seems like a case of currency conversion taking its toll. Personally, I have never been charged more than the shown amount from Microsoft, whether it was my Debit Card or Forex Card or CC.

Well i never had this issue before i buy from amazon US, japanese stores like HLJ i even got my ps+ from my CC last year. IDK why the bank called me to confirm if i did make the purchase because it was just the microsoft store upon asking how i was charged extra 700 Rs. they told me they are from a different department, they can't transfer to the correct department and their CCare is non existent just a transfer between IVR messages. I have some leftover balance on the card over my limit that i had got from an amazon refund but that to was not shown in the transaction and full 4.7k were deducted.

As for GPU i got that, once you buy XBL Gold then log out and log in again that showed me the extend option, but i did not pay such a outrageous cost the second and third time. I Read a gamespot article on 3yr XBLG to 3yr GPU and they mentioned costco and CDKeys as 3rd party alternatives, costco is US based i guess a membership service so just went with CDKeys as they had higher reviews on XBLG purchases than playasia, and thankfully my Debit card work there.

So thanks a ton guys for patiently helping me out, i hope you all Xbox owners can get keys from cloudtail so you can have a more easy simple experience than me, tip though once you get it play ashen, it was on my radar and damn I'm just loving the beautiful art style reminds me of studio Mir animation, and the combat music is just too good. PS4, Switch owners you will get Ashen as well next month, and if you guys hated the Dark Souls style of brutal unforgiving gameplay, here it's more lenient, though i expect it to start getting challenging as i progress.

I think if you are not jumping into nextgen right away getting GPU for 3yr makes sense as you get to enjoy your X1 and you are ready for Scarlett. And even if you get Nextbox day1 you are set with new added games each month, and as of now MS does add first party games free at launch for Game pass.

Edited by NitroNeo
  • Like 1

@NitroNeo AFAIK bank always calls up and confirms whenever an international transaction is made. At least that's what my bank does. And displayed currency being INR does not mean it's not an international transaction. For example, if you purchase a game on Steam with CC (i.e. it does not re-route to NovaPlay), then it's an international transaction. Even though Steam Store displays game price in INR.

A sure-fire way to see if it's an international transaction is to see if OTP was asked on your purchase. If your bank did not ask for OTP, it was an international transaction - and a good bank should ask whether transaction has been made.Maybe your bank started this practice of calling up customers for international transactions this year only? It's a good practice either way. Helps stop scams and protect our money.

Edited by roun90

On 11/27/2019 at 1:44 PM, CarbonCore said:

You can do pass-through audio to external speakers and I don't think it'll be weird at all. I personally use HD598 because you maintain some awareness of your surroundings.

Can your mind-brain handle two headsets on one head? :P

Would like to see that.

Edited by achilles

10 hours ago, roun90 said:

Before buying any DLC, just search for the base game on PSN (i.e. go to DLC link from base game instead of direct search)

Once on base game page, if the option to download comes up - base game is from that region. Otherwise if option to buy with price shown comes up - that means base game is not from that region.

Only talking about digital purchases BTW. Not ideal or convenient - but it is what it is unfortunately.

It only works if you've purchased the game from that account. For eg I have 3 US accounts for game sharing with couple of groups, and only one of them will show download link. The other two will ask you to buy it. All this could be easily solved by just two simple modifications, show the owner of your digital copy in info tab and make everything truly region free.

11 minutes ago, achilles said:

Wait, so you wear the VR headset and an audio headset? Would like to see that :P

tenor.gif?itemid=14587580

4 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

It only works if you've purchased the game from that account. For eg I have 3 US accounts for game sharing with couple of groups, and only one of them will show download link. The other two will ask you to buy it. All this could be easily solved by just two simple modifications, show the owner of your digital copy in info tab and make everything truly region free.

Unfortunately, in the eyes of Sony - "Game Sharing" is illegal and against their ToS. So they will go out of their way to make it as inconvenient as possible. And it sounds like their method is working, if you are losing money out of it. So don't expect them to fix it. And don't ask their CS either or they might just ban your account.

As for region free - that would be amazing. It would completely eliminate all problems and be completely pro-customer. But again, in the eyes of Sony - they don't want you taking advantage of all those Flash Sales for DLC if your base game is outside US. So again, I wouldn't expect change.

All these measures are not pro-consumer. They are pro-company. And it's working. The only work-around I can think of is to not make any account the "Base account" on PS4, and try to start the game before purchasing the DLC. Whichever account starts the game without authorization from another account being logged in - that's the account from which the game was purchased.

But I doubt many people would bother to open 3-4 US accounts/One region accounts. Unless they are family (brothers/sisters etc.) In that case, you can bet that each sibling/family member would know exactly which account they use.

In fact, I'm kinda surprised that Nintendo, of all firms, went completely region free. Especially considering how, up to 3DS gen, they were absolutely, staunchly supportive of full 100% region locking - to the point you could not even start the game if game region did not match console region. Also tells something when Nintendo is going anti-censorship, while Sony is going more and more Pro-Censorship.

27 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Unfortunately, in the eyes of Sony - "Game Sharing" is illegal and against their ToS. So they will go out of their way to make it as inconvenient as possible. And it sounds like their method is working, if you are losing money out of it. So don't expect them to fix it. And don't ask their CS either or they might just ban your account.

As for region free - that would be amazing. It would completely eliminate all problems and be completely pro-customer. But again, in the eyes of Sony - they don't want you taking advantage of all those Flash Sales for DLC if your base game is outside US. So again, I wouldn't expect change.

All these measures are not pro-consumer. They are pro-company. And it's working. The only work-around I can think of is to not make any account the "Base account" on PS4, and try to start the game before purchasing the DLC. Whichever account starts the game without authorization from another account being logged in - that's the account from which the game was purchased.

But I doubt many people would bother to open 3-4 US accounts/One region accounts. Unless they are family (brothers/sisters etc.) In that case, you can bet that each sibling/family member would know exactly which account they use.

In fact, I'm kinda surprised that Nintendo, of all firms, went completely region free. Especially considering how, up to 3DS gen, they were absolutely, staunchly supportive of full 100% region locking - to the point you could not even start the game if game region did not match console region. Also tells something when Nintendo is going anti-censorship, while Sony is going more and more Pro-Censorship.

lol game sharing is not illegal. Don't let the corporations tell you that sharing your copy of game with friends/family is against the law. MS tried that in 2013 and fell flat on their face. This is also not some elaborate scheme to discourage you from sharing changing region, its a relic from past generation and a byproduct of 3 different regions doing their own thing.

And Nintendo games were always region free, it was the local hardware that blocked them. Once you installed homebrew and removed that lock, you could play games from all regions. With Switch they just removed that block themselves. There's still games like Splatoon 2 that are locked to 3 regions. Sony games are actual physical SKUs that are different in different region so nothing is cross compatible, no saves or DLC or updates.

2 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

lol game sharing is not illegal. Don't let the corporations tell you that sharing your copy of game with friends/family is against the law. MS tried that in 2013 and fell flat on their face. This is also not some elaborate scheme to discourage you from sharing changing region, its a relic from past generation and a byproduct of 3 different regions doing their own thing.

Never said Game Sharing is against the law. What I said was that it was against ToS. And ToS is not the law. It's basically the company unilaterally telling us what it wants us to do. And most of us (including me) pressing "I Accept" like idiots. You can ignore it if you want. But then the company can also ban your account for that. And the standard defense for companies in this case is - "You agreed to our terms when you pressed the I Accept Button; so we are within full rights to screw with your purchases however we want" The ToS and it's punishment does not change unless there is a major push-back against it (Like against MS Xbox One in 2013) or a Court passes orders against it (Steam allowing refunds due to EU Court Orders/Going to allow re-selling Steam games due to French Court Order once the final order comes).

And considering no one seems to care to push back against Sony (100 million sold despite everything), nor is there a legal order - we are out of luck unfortunately.  So far, I won't be surprised if Sony continues with this even on PS5 gen. It's "accepted" by the market after all. Just like paid online of MS was "accepted" by the market.

2 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

And Nintendo games were always region free, it was the local hardware that blocked them. Once you installed homebrew and removed that lock, you could play games from all regions. With Switch they just removed that block themselves. There's still games like Splatoon 2 that are locked to 3 regions. Sony games are actual physical SKUs that are different in different region so nothing is cross compatible, no saves or DLC or updates.

Yup; some games like Zelda BOTW DLCs are still region locked to base game/console region (not sure which, it's confusing). But even then, still better than earlier. Putting that "Console Region Lock" was still Nintendo's choice. And Homebrew could and would void your warranty. Not to mention potentially locking you out of online services. Breaking region lock (since it's no longer there) no longer voids your warranty. And that's an amazing development for Nintendo.

Edited by roun90

@NitroNeo I bought 2 X 1 year subscription for Xbox live, stacked them up and used the 1$ offer to make it 3 years ultimate pass(have 1 year gold running already). I had to use VPN to set the region to a different country as there was no offer at that time. Got the codes like 15-20 mins later.

I posted the same offer in our deals thread too.

On 11/28/2019 at 10:27 PM, Walker said:

tweet @AskPlaystation and don't talk about indian PSN. Just advise about the US PSN account and wanting a refund for the DLC etc.

Had a chat with them. 

They say chat support cant be done from your location. They said call is only option.

But i cant call above number also :furious:

Wtf should i do now :wallbash: Have tweeted them again :wallbash:

@hope Is your mobile/phone which you used to call enabled for international calls and did you add +1 before the no (US Area code).

But if you have to call US via phone from India, and cannot solve the issue via online - I would recommend just leave it. Getting a phone bill of Rs 4000-6000 due to international calls will make your dlc cost look like chump change.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, hope said:

Had a chat with them. 

They say chat support cant be done from your location. They said call is only option.

But i cant call above number also :furious:

Wtf should i do now :wallbash: Have tweeted them again :wallbash:

I think that's a toll free number. If yes, then use skype to call it. It's free.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, b!T said:

I think that's a toll free number. If yes, then use skype to call it. It's free.

Had a call with them from Skype. They say they cant do anything about it as i have started the game on that account. I told i am unable to install it even but they said you started the game so cant be done now :wallbash:

8$ down the drain :(

32 minutes ago, hope said:

Had a call with them from Skype. They say they cant do anything about it as i have started the game on that account. I told i am unable to install it even but they said you started the game so cant be done now :wallbash:

Damn, talk about being useless.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hope said:

Its not down the drain. You learnt that DLC has to be same as the main SKU :lol:

Seriously its a bummer though. Totally worthless nonsense.

• Like 1