PlayStation vs Xbox vs Nintendo thread

10 hours ago, Abdulah said:

I don't know if this is the wrong thread but my ps4 controller square button stopped working. I dismantled the controller and tried to test the controller directly from motherboard but it wasn't working. Every other button is working fine. Can I repair it? I think the problem maybe with the green cable sheet that is below the buttons.

Usually it is the silicone membrane above the green cable sheet thing that causes this.

basically the silicone membrane gets cracked sometimes.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Abdulah said:

I don't know if this is the wrong thread but my ps4 controller square button stopped working. I dismantled the controller and tried to test the controller directly from motherboard but it wasn't working. Every other button is working fine. Can I repair it? I think the problem maybe with the green cable sheet that is below the buttons.

So generally either the conductive sheet (green film) gets damaged or the silicone membrane (which goes above the sheet) breaks.

You can easily find replacement for these on Amazon (seller was New World if I remember correctly) but you need to know the motherboard version (printed on top of it, you will be able to see it after you remove battery tray). In my case, the X wasn't working, replaced the sheet and it worked as good as new. 

It could very well be that you need to replace the membrane too but remember to take care of those ribbon cables and rumble motor solders, those are fragile.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I was too careless in reassembling it. The thin electric paper that is connected from controller light to the motherboard is also busted now. Also the headphone jack is not working anymore 

25 minutes ago, Abdulah said:

Thanks guys. I was too careless in reassembling it. The thin electric paper that is connected from controller light to the motherboard is also busted now. Also the headphone jack is not working anymore 

you'll get that ribbon cable as well on Amazon. Its a 14pin for a V1 controller and 12pin for V2 iirc. To be sure check the model number on the usb charging slot pcb. JDM something.

Edited by Walker
  • Like 1

Just curious, if a button isn't working why not go to a shop and fix it?

For Delhi that'd be Palika....

See my R2 on my black DS4 wasn't working, thats why I bought a new one from GTS when they went on sale.

Thought I'd get the old one repaired after COVID.

The shop would hardly charge you 200 to fix it. So is there an obvious advantage to doing it yourself?
I know there are counterfeit controllers going around, could they just switch parts, or something?

11 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

See my R2 on my black DS4 wasn't working, thats why I bought a new one from GTS when they went on sale.

The shop would hardly charge you 200 to fix it. So is there an obvious advantage to doing it yourself?
I know there are counterfeit controllers going around, could they just switch parts, or something?

Most places don't have these grey market console fixing shops.

18 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

It's more of a hobby for me. I like opening sh*t up to see how things work and are put together. Curiosity too.

36 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

Quick Google search lead me to believe that it will probably be fixed after some cleaning. But you are right, I should have gone to palika bazar

Edited by Abdulah

37 minutes ago, Walker said:

It's more of a hobby for me. I like opening sh*t up to see how things work and are put together. Curiosity too.

Yeah I understand that, but I'd stick to opening up my PC, or best my laptop, and just cleaning out gunk.

Not opening up other stuff, and potentially screwing it up lol. But I get the sentiment. 

1 hour ago, Chirag2001 said:

It won't be just 200 bucks, I think.

The best case scenario is that it isn't working because the spring loosing tension (cheapest), but if the conductive film or membrane is the problem, I assume the guy will charge around 500, maybe more because of the labour rate and everything.

Plus, it's relatively easy and a nice DIY thing to do. You won't have any problems with it.

Also they won't be replacing with actual spares, it's all third party stuff. I don't think taking originals out will be worth for anyone.

Edited by kunjanp

2 hours ago, Abdulah said:

Easy to get. 14/12 pins are available on Amazon. I ordered one too as I found that although my controller wasn't used much but that ribbon was almost falling apart. Maybe it's just the quality which isn't that high and not a mistake at your end.

Just check the motherboard version again, you'll be good to go.

Just now, kunjanp said:

It won't be just 200 bucks, I think.

The best case scenario is that it isn't working because the spring loosing tension (cheapest), but if the conductive film or membrane is the problem, I assume the guy will charge around 500, maybe more because of the labour rate and everything.

Plus, it's relatively easy and a nice DIY thing to do. You won't have any problems with it.

Hmmmm. I don't mind opening it up or fixing stuff myself. The problem is if I do screw it up even further, or cannot put it back together for some reason.

At the moment, my other DS4 is working fine. I'll ask Palika when I can visit after COVID. If it sounds too much, I'll put up a query in Techzone and do it myself.

Thank you!  :) 

PS. The issue isn't that it doesn't work. The controller behaves as if R2 is pressed down the entire time. And since R2 is the shoot button for basically every game ever, its no good. 

Guns blazing. 

4 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

Hmmmm. I don't mind opening it up or fixing stuff myself. The problem is if I do screw it up even further, or cannot put it back together for some reason.

At the moment, my other DS4 is working fine. I'll ask Palika when I can visit after COVID. If it sounds too much, I'll put up a query in Techzone and do it myself.

Thank you!  :) 

PS. The issue isn't that it doesn't work. The controller behaves as if R2 is pressed down the entire time. And since R2 is the shoot button for basically every game ever, its no good. 

Guns blazing. 

This isn't the spring issue then.

Sounds like conductive film issue or the membrane was pushed by the button but never recessed out when the button released. The latter being much easier to fix.

I mean it will take around 10 mins of YouTube and another 30 to do it yourself. I replaced the whole film and ribbons. 

I am really hoping Dualsense is much better in this regard. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Walker said:

I too like to open sh*t up, but on several occasions I have failed to put it back together or I got lazed out while trying.

Then a few months down. wife discovers a plastic bag with screws and what-nots trying to jump out. :|

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Right said:

I too like to open sh*t up, but on several occasions I have failed to put it back together or I got lazed out while trying.

Then a few months down. wife discovers a plastic bag with screws and what-nots trying to jump out. :|

haha I have them baggies all around the place too. Old watch faces, ribbon cables, a gazillion screws, some L2, R2, headphone speakers, headphone headbands, ear cups, some wires, some random pcbs that I no longer remember where they are from :D

• Like 1

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/bioshock-4-will-take-place-in-a-new-and-fantastical-world-job-listing-suggests/

A job listing for a lead environment modeller at Cloud Chamber reads: “We want you to set the example, leading efforts to help us breathe life into a new and fantastical world.

“Together, we will set the stage for a stunning narrative and systems-driven experience.”

12 minutes ago, Maximus said:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/bioshock-4-will-take-place-in-a-new-and-fantastical-world-job-listing-suggests/

A job listing for a lead environment modeller at Cloud Chamber reads: “We want you to set the example, leading efforts to help us breathe life into a new and fantastical world.

“Together, we will set the stage for a stunning narrative and systems-driven experience.”

underground? mars?