PlayStation vs Xbox vs Nintendo thread

16 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

Maybe MS is buying sega.

or maybe a new sega console?

MS buying Sega is a bit intuitive as compared to new Sega console because of it's amateur stand in front of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. 

52 minutes ago, Heaven Angel said:

What's up with SEGA? They said they will be sharing 'Industry changing' news on June 4th. A tie up with Sony maybe? 

Is this where the new Persona Announcement is coming from? They still have to show more of Shin Megami Tensei 5. Maybe a release date for that (And maybe even it's multi-plat announcement)?

Hope it's not something related to Sonic.

New PS4 games must also run on PlayStation 5 from July, Sony tells devs

Updates to existing games "strongly recommended" to add compatibility.

Sony's own Ghost of Tshushima is released on 17th July but will have entered certification prior to the 13th July cut-off. It will not specifically need to be PlayStation 5 forwards-compatible. However, as one of PlayStation 4's remaining flagship titles, it is certain to be supported on PlayStation 5 (and indeed, Eurogamer has separately heard this will be the case, alongside fellow upcoming exclusive The Last of Us 2).

1 hour ago, roun90 said:

Is this where the new Persona Announcement is coming from? They still have to show more of Shin Megami Tensei 5. Maybe a release date for that (And maybe even it's multi-plat announcement)?

Hope it's not something related to Sonic.

I, presume that they have planned something big if they are tagging it as industry changing as just for a new game launch this would be an exaggeration . Coincidentally Sony's PS5 and Sega's announcement clashes on the same day. 

For game announcement I'd like to see Vanquish sequel. ..

Just now, Heaven Angel said:

I, presume that they have planned something big if they are tagging it as industry changing as just for a new game launch this would be an exaggeration . Coincidentally Sony's PS5 and Sega's announcement clashes on the same day. 

For game announcement I'd like to see Vanquish sequel. ..

This. I want it! Hope it happens :D

52 minutes ago, AnK said:

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/05/bluepoint_on_ps5_reveal_its_time_to_leave_our_old_gaming_limitations_behind

it’s definitely a new game or a proper remake of an old classic 

Not a remaster 

hence leaving the old limitations behind 

Was confirmed to be a full remake years ago. Bigger scope than shadow of the Colossus

45 minutes ago, AnK said:

Sega just announced a Yakuza for Xbox 

so obviously that’s not the case 

About M$ acquiring Sega 

with amount of popularity Xbox has in Japan 

that’s commercial suicide 

Sega is not in that bad a shape 

Unless M$ is willing to commit the same 

MS commit what? Homicide w.r.t Sega?

:P

45 minutes ago, AnK said:

Sega just announced a Yakuza for Xbox 

so obviously that’s not the case 

About M$ acquiring Sega 

with amount of popularity Xbox has in Japan 

that’s commercial suicide 

Sega is not in that bad a shape 

Unless M$ is willing to commit the same 

MS commit what? Homicide w.r.t Sega?

:P

16 hours ago, KnackChap said:

100%

Bluepoint's game was moved from being a cross gen title to PS5 only. Expect atleast a few exclusive titles. 

Question is, how many of these exclusives are gonna be something new? I mean I'm expecting a part to a bunch of successful PS4 exclusives, inFamous, HZD, God of War, Bloodborne, Gran Turismo, Days Gone perhaps? I meana, thats great and everything. 

I'm hoping to see a new title in there, something which isn't cross-gen or the sequel to an already popular game.

MS should know by now - there is no point in going after Japan. 90% of the market is on Smartphones and Switch. Those who do play consoles over there - prefer to play on PS4. And that's not because of SEGA Games, Tales Games or some such. PS4 in Japan gets some really weird, niche games - like Compile Hearts Games and such. And mainly only Japanese players play those games. There's no point in going after those games, because they cannot succeed out of Japan at all. Not to mention, Japanese people prefer Japanese products, and Nintendo and Sony have an automatic advantage there. XBox 360 failed in Japan, and MS was throwing money like water that gen, trying to capture the JP market. So many exclusives and timed exclusives purchased - Namco Bandai Games like Eternal Sonata and even popular series like Tales of Vesperia. SE games including the popular (at the time) Star Ocean 4, Infinite Undiscovery etc. getting Sakaguchi games like Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey etc. Team Ninja games, Final fantasy Games. Almost all of those full or timed exclusive. And yet, they could not perform well in Japanese Market. In present times, where Switch reigns supreme and Smartphone penetration has increased even more, I doubt just buying SEGA and having Yakuza (And maybe Persona/SMT - but I don't think Atlus is being sold) will give them the JP market-share, or even raise Western sales substantially. So no point for MS to acquire SEGA. Not to mention, their current focus is on acquiring small studios and making deals with giants for Gamepass. Not acquiring giant studios or buying exclusives like in 360 days.

SEGA also has a pretty good relationship with both Sony and Nintendo for them to be acquired by MS. Not to mention, having the announcement on the same day as PS5 reveal, somehow points to it being something to do with Sony. SEGA does not have the thunder to take away from Sony's announcement (If it was acquired by MS). For example, if SEGA announces acquisition by MS and Persona 6 exclusive to Series X - On the same day Sony announces new Spiderman/God of War, that announcement will be buried.

As far as SEGA releasing a new console - I kinda doubt that as well. All the console players at this time have already found and covered their niche. Sony and Nintendo have excellent multiple 1st and 2nd party studios and exclusives. MS has the cheap games covered with gamepass and deals with multiple 3rd party studios to make the library worthwhile. SEGA has neither any studios under it's belt for exclusives, and announcing a SEGA sub system is just pointless, considering their library, competition and 3rd party deals. Retro consoles, like what SEGA released some 2 years ago with old games built in can work though. That said, that is not an industry-shattering news.

One highly probable, but really bad news that can happen is - SEGA announcing they are going the way of Konami. No more game releases and they will only be focusing on Pachinko from now on. That will be a big announcement indeed. But a really bad one.

A higher probability than MS acquisition (but still small probability) is acquisition by Sony/Nintendo. But SEGA has great relations to both and I can't see it going exclusive to one platform.

Another probability is Konami selling off their IPs and SEGA being roped in to develop some of their games. I can see SEGA developing some Konami games very well. For example, game series like Suikoden etc. Combine that with Sony announcing Konami games on PS5, like say deal with Kojima to develop MGS6, Zone of the Enders 3 or something + new Castlevania/Silent Hill and it will be a gigantic, industry-shaking announcement.

So the only industry changing news I can see are - the aforementioned getting out of gaming altogether or developing huge Konami titles etc.

As far as games are concerned, I can only see a gigantic announcement being related to Persona. Maybe Persona 6 or Persona 5 Switch Version (Tons of people are begging for this). That is what is currently being considered their premier franchise. Yakuza is another of their premier franchises (but less premier than Persona), but Yakuza 7 announcement is already there. Some other Atlus games can be big as well, like say new Digital Devil Summoner, SMT 5, new Etrian Odyssey etc (These are all highly premier franchises in Handhelds). I don't think Vanquish and the like are titles big enough to be called "Premier Titles" or "Industry Moving"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roun90 said:

MS should know by now - there is no point in going after Japan. 90% of the market is on Smartphones and Switch. Those who do play consoles over there - prefer to play on PS4. And that's not because of SEGA Games, Tales Games or some such. PS4 in Japan gets some really weird, niche games - like Compile Hearts Games and such. And mainly only Japanese players play those games. There's no point in going after those games, because they cannot succeed out of Japan at all. Not to mention, Japanese people prefer Japanese products, and Nintendo and Sony have an automatic advantage there. XBox 360 failed in Japan, and MS was throwing money like water that gen, trying to capture the JP market. So many exclusives and timed exclusives purchased - Namco Bandai Games like Eternal Sonata and even popular series like Tales of Vesperia. SE games including the popular (at the time) Star Ocean 4, Infinite Undiscovery etc. getting Sakaguchi games like Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey etc. Team Ninja games, Final fantasy Games.

As far as games are concerned, I can only see a gigantic announcement being related to Persona. Maybe Persona 6 or Persona 5 Switch Version (Tons of people are begging for this). That is what is currently being considered their premier franchise. Yakuza is another of their premier franchises (but less premier than Persona), but Yakuza 7 announcement is already there. 

JRPGs are doing pretty weel honestly. Sure, Japan likes their own games, but they do come out of Japan too. You see videos on Youtube of people abroad, going on Playasia and stuff and grabbing those Japan-exclusive PS4 games that have English subtitles (sometimes). They do have pretty lit covers though. 

Considering Royal just came out, announcing another new Persona game is unlikely. The Switch port could happen, Persona and Switch are both huge in Japan, Im surprised Royal wasn't already announced for Switch considering their gamer base.