PlayStation vs Xbox vs Nintendo thread

27 minutes ago, gecko89 said:

Not surprised by this, under Nadella MS stock has more than tripled and before him there were ramblings that MS will be dead.

And unlike Apple, Google or Amazon, MS has truly diversified sources of income. MS as a whole is in a better position than any other big companies imo.

Apple diversified as well. As a company that started as Apple Computers and stayed that way for 20+ years, they now sell phones, music players, tablets, media players, subscription services etc.

8 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

Apple diversified as well. As a company that started as Apple Computers and stayed that way for 20+ years, they now sell phones, music players, tablets, media players, subscription services etc.

Maybe I wasn't clear, I meant revenue off their products.

MS revenue breakdown by product shows them having 20-25% coming in through different products, pretty much even.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/giosUsc.jpg[/img]
https://businessquant.com/microsoft-revenue-by-product

Whereas Apple has more than 50% coming in through iPhone alone.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/RBI0Wmz.jpg[/img]

https://www.statista.com/statistics/382260/segments-share-revenue-of-apple/

Just gonna leave this here:

DualSense Features on PS5

-Unique haptics for each weapon (recoil, reload, jam)

-Adaptive triggers simulate pressure using Tikhar gun

-Stocks, suppressors, etc affect weapon response

-Triggers mimic resistance driving, rowing etc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radicaldude said:

Almost a year later from the date of writing of this article , Game pass now has more than 23 mil subscriber's . Also MS is focusing on getting game pass to the Mobiles/tablets  and even directly to TV's with its cloud service which will give it access to many more consumer's . 

https://www.inputmag.com/gaming/microsoft-says-xbox-game-pass-subscribers-play-more-spend-more

Microsoft VP of gaming on Game pass economics and future plans .

8 minutes ago, Krazyniks said:

Almost a year later from the date of writing of this article , Game pass now has more than 23 mil subscriber's . Also MS is focusing on getting game pass to the Mobiles/tablets  and even directly to TV's with its cloud service which will give it access to many more consumer's . 

https://www.inputmag.com/gaming/microsoft-says-xbox-game-pass-subscribers-play-more-spend-more

McKinseys article was a window to the future, wasn't trying to analyse present trends. It was not about gamepass but subscription services in general. 

11 minutes ago, Krazyniks said:

I like the idea of getting it to TV as a native app or a plug in device. I'd rather not buy a new console for just a couple of games.

2 minutes ago, gecko89 said:

I like the idea of getting it to TV as a native app or a plug in device. I'd rather not buy a new console for just a couple of games.

Actually those who are already aware of xbox games and services, in western markets, most of them already have their hardware. 

It looks good on paper that to acquire more audiences, gamepass would run on mobiles. But markets that they are targeting let's say india doesn't even have the hardware to support that. So such statements become grand vision of sorts. 

6 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

McKinseys article was a window to the future, wasn't trying to analyse present trends. It was not about gamepass but subscription services in general. 

Yeah here we are 1 year later than their writing of article . And gaming subscription services seem to be doing much better rather than facing an uphill task . Also with the massive praise MS received with its E3 presentation the future for Game pass looks good .

There is only one subscription service :D

(PS Now doesn't count ) .

https://hbr.org/2015/02/what-research-tells-us-about-making-accurate-predictions

"Overall, the “experts” struggled to perform better than “dart-throwing chimps”, and were consistently less accurate than even relatively simple statistical algorithms."

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

It looks good on paper that to acquire more audiences, gamepass would run on mobiles. But markets that they are targeting let's say india doesn't even have the hardware to support that. So such statements become grand vision of sorts. 

Weren't there rumors of xbox working on a plug in device for smart TVs, something along the lines of a firestick. As for bandwidth, we have 200-300Mbps for cheap here in india, wouldn't that be enough? 

Just now, gecko89 said:

Weren't there rumors of xbox working on a plug in device for smart TVs, something along the lines of a firestick. As for bandwidth, we have 200-300Mbps for cheap here in india, wouldn't that be enough? 

True . But there would be lags thst would ruin the experience for sure. Maybe it'll work for certain type of games .

The economics may still be unclear to us. But one thing is very clear MS is all in on Game pass and xcloud . They view it as the present and future of gaming . They will support Game pass for years to come. 

7 minutes ago, Krazyniks said:

They will support Game pass for years to come. 

If Xcloud goes down like Stadia 

then I don’t think so 

All these efforts are not for their loyal fanbase & neither for the PC gamers 

They had abandoned these two core audiences long time ago which was evident in past few years 

They are in it for the wider casual audience & that’s the only way subscriptions thrive 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Krazyniks said:

The economics may still be unclear to us. But one thing is very clear MS is all in on Game pass and xcloud . They view it as the present and future of gaming . They will support Game pass for years to come. 

Once they acquire more Studios, getting games day one would become even more costly for them. And if some of the games coming out of these big studios fail, then it would be interesting to see how they react to it. 

However as their gamepass list is curated, they still control what they want to feed to gamers. They have the power on what you can play. So maybe if games coming out of their first party/acquired studios fail, they'll populate the list with older third party titles. 

51 minutes ago, AnK said:

If Xcloud goes down like Stadia 

then I don’t think so 

All these efforts are not for their loyal fanbase & neither for the PC gamers 

They had abandoned these two core audiences long time ago which was evident in past few years 

They are in it for the wider casual audience & that’s the only way subscriptions thrive 

Casuals might lose interest if some of the aaa don't perform as they are expecting them to. 

See right now the pivot rests on Bethesda to churn out epic games in the future. I wonder what'll happen if they fail in few projects.