PlayStation vs Xbox vs Nintendo thread

10 minutes ago, hsk_colossus said:

Consoles have held back pc gaming for ever… 

Ofcourse. Atleast in recent times. 

That's the reason both the new consoles have tried to mimic a mid gen pc with ray tracing. 

Can any console match the raw power of 3090 combined with a threadripper? 

Pcs however give a lot of option(s) to get the best performance out of a given hardware. 

On consoles it is mostly plug and play. That's the reason the lower denominator might impact the overall performance/development of a title. 

This is the precise reason we have never ever seen different powered skus in the same generation from other companies in the history of console gaming.

Edited by radicaldude
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRMNTR said:

Everyone understands that old gen hardware holds back next gen. However, it's not always true and it depends on the game and the devs. Not sure when the conversation moved to last gen (oh yeah, Cyberpunk and Control :rofl:) but the main discussion is about next gen consoles and Steam Deck. To make blanket statements like "XSS will hold back XSX/PS5" is rather stupid without understanding what compromises are being made during development. I don't think any XSX/PS5 game has been held back till now. If anything, developers have chosen to compromise the XSS version to keep their vision intact on XSX/PS5. Am I saying that no game will ever be held back because of XSS/SD? No. It will be rare though. Minimum requirements or not PC will always be the lowest (and highest) common denominator. Regardless of the minimum requirements, the games are always built will lesser performing machines in mind. Why? Because they constitute the majority of systems out there.

That's all what I was saying. If you see my initial post on this topic, I didn't mention anything about CP or control because a) I haven't played either b) I don't own any nextgen console.

My comment was in response to a blanket statement that devs will release two versions always and that is not true because that's not what has happened throughout gaming history. Whether it will happen with PS5 or XSX/S remains to be seen.

Also all these are gamers discussing in a forum man, none of us are game developers but that should not stop us from discussing what might have been or what might be. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

Many. Control being one of them. The previous gen versions had frame rate issues. 

Though GoT looks stunning on the PS4, those who want to experience developers true artistic vision should definitely pick up the ps5 directors cut. I don't think it would be a bland graphical update. There would be many different elements, not possible on a PS4 system 

these are incorrect examples as you are talking about cross gen cases where the entire system/architecture is different 

give relevant examples, from the same gen (all current or all next)

1 minute ago, Panopticon said:

these are incorrect examples as you are talking about cross gen cases where the entire system/architecture is different 

He is reading another article or on the phone with ank ,someone will surely reply back. 

33 minutes ago, b!T said:

Witcher 3 was held back due to consoles. CDPR outright admitted that they can't afford to make W3 for only PC and hence fidelity was compromised due to consoles involved.

Also iirc , COD recoil effects were damped down because IW or Treyarch could not make it work properly for controllers where in counter strike has proper recoil or rather had and this is something I read years ago. No personal experience though.

Crysis 2 was held back because of consoles. If you have played Crysis 1 and 2, you will know what I am hinting here.

Monster hunter generations is 30 FPS on switch because they designed it for 3DS which cannot do 60 FPS. I think there is a mod which can unlock FPS but not sure.

Now thinking from the other end of the spectrum, Rocksteady stated that they initially thought to release Arkham knight on PS3/360 as well but had to cut entire batmobile stuff to do that so they scrapped the last gen versions and focused on current gen.

our debate is regarding consoles only and whether some consoles of the same gen hold back other consoles, so provide other correct examples 

also, the holding back should be specifically about the scope of the game and not resolution or fps.

5 minutes ago, b!T said:

That's all what I was saying. If you see my initial post on this topic, I didn't mention anything about CP or control because a) I haven't played either b) I don't own any nextgen console.

My comment was in response to a blanket statement that devs will release two versions always and that is not true because that's not what has happened throughout gaming history. Whether it will happen with PS5 or XSX/S remains to be seen.

Also all these are gamers discussing in a forum man, none of us are game developers but that should not stop us from discussing what might have been or what might be. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

My post was mostly a summation to all the ongoing comments. I actually agree with what you said earlier. Modern engines (not all) are designed to scale well. There will always be some device "holding back" another device (be it old gen or next gen) but it's very different from what people think is happening.

Example: Technically, you could design a game for Switch Deck that maximises it's RAM (16GB) for 720p. That game would never run as is on next gen consoles as the RAM budget would shoot up when they target higher resolution. Here XSS/XSX/PS5 is "holding back" Switch Deck -- which is a stupid thing to say, honestly. In short, what I'm saying is, let's have a discussion instead of making these blanket statements (again, not directed at you). :)

Edited by TRMNTR
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, AnK said:

How would one get “examples” when the developers are designing games with the lowest denominator in their inseption 

Such a stupid thing to wait for to get proof that something is being held back 

we wait for proof because we don’t have in-depth technical expertise, experience and knowledge about console hardware as a developer 

let me know if you have

Only xbox has experimented with this (lower powered skus in the same generation) and I'm waiting for a proper aaa first party exclusive from them since 2019 to make comparisons. 

right now though, only Cyberpunk comes to mind, which you are not accepting. 

I'm sure more examples will emerge with time. 

Ps- if you compare the halo infinite reveal from 2020 with the coalition tech demo, you'll partly understand what I was saying. 

This is my assumption, but maybe the demo was optimised for series s and that's why the graphics looked crap. 

This coalition tech demo was developed for and ran on a series x. 

The speculation is

xss, a console which is of the same generation as xsx and ps5, is holding back the scope of games due to less ram and only “less ram”

so my question is

give examples of consoles any generation (it can be any generation) having held back other consoles of the same generation specifically regarding scope of games 

Edited by Panopticon

14 minutes ago, Panopticon said:

our debate is regarding consoles only and whether some consoles of the same gen hold back other consoles, so provide other correct examples 

also, the holding back should be specifically about the scope of the game and not resolution or fps.

I am sorry, mate. I can't find any examples for your streamlined , selectively defined "holding back" criteria :lol:

I will say let's wait and see. After all this gen has just started. By your statement no games this gen will be held back by XSS because devs always release two versions to counter it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The speculation is

xss, a console which is of the same generation as xsx and ps5, is holding back the scope of games due to less ram and only “less ram”

so my question is

give examples of consoles of the same generation (it can be any generation) having held back other consoles of the same generation specifically regarding scope of games 

Again, it's not as simple as this. This can happen if a dev is targeting min specs that surpass XSS. Even in that scenario, people with much less capable PCs are always able to run these games after tweaking the settings. Why? Because, the games are almost always designed with the lowest common denominator in mind. That could be the XSS, that could be a very mediocre PC.

I think this enter gen, devs will have to work around the limited RAM on XSS but I'm hoping that in most cases, they will end up compromising on the XSS version rather than the XSX/PS5 version. For example, Doom Eternal doesn't support Ray Tracing on XSS as that would've increased their RAM budget. Metro supports it but compromises elsewhere. These compromises are a part of the development process especially when so many SKUs (infinite PC SKUs included) are involved.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, hsk_colossus said:

Consoles have held back pc gaming for ever… 

The ultimate truth 

thanks for saying that,though you were the least expected guy to talk sense 

The whole issue arises when someone decides to launch a weak a*s console moving towards the next gen & then binding it with the stronger brethren 

So the developer is now forced to develop for it if he wants to be part of that specific ecosystem & the weak a*s machine is ending up being the one holding the strongest one 

it could have been the stronger brethren or some other device which could have been the lowest denominator 

• Like 1

The speculation is

so my question is

give examples of consoles any generation (it can be any generation) having held back other consoles of the same generation specifically regarding scope of games 

.Screenshot_20210727-151435405 (1).jpg

You seem to skip on the fact that devs have system level access and can tweak the settings to their heart's content to opimtise performance. 
You, the consumer don't have to bother with sliders because developers have already done that. 
So, no this not the precise reason for anything. 
.Screenshot_20210727-153239635 (1).jpg
  • Haha 1

Fidelity aside 

things like scale of level & AI design can’t be toggled, it’s designed & put together in inception stage 

I believe things like RAM,GPU,Memory bandwidth play an important role in these aspects 

But anyway…..

Edited by AnK
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, AnK said:

The ultimate truth 

thanks for saying that,though you were the least expected guy to talk sense 

The whole issue arises when someone decides to launch a weak a*s console moving towards the next gen & then binding it with the stronger brethren 

So the developer is now forced to develop for it if he wants to be part of that specific ecosystem & the weak a*s machine is ending up being the one holding the strongest one 

it could have been the stronger brethren or some other device which could have been the lowest denominator 

ya consoles have truly held back gaming… crysis pushed the graphical landscape when it was launched… nowdays games target consoles and therefore are limited graphically.. 

So the whole issue is not that Xbox series s has held back gaming… it’s that consoles have held back gaming… 

so all you console peasants, get a f**king PC and let’s push the gaming landscape forward

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, hsk_colossus said:

ya consoles have truly held back gaming… crysis pushed the graphical landscape when it was launched… nowdays games target consoles and therefore are limited graphically.. 

So the whole issue is not that Xbox series s has held back gaming… it’s that consoles have held back gaming… 

so all you console peasants, get a f**king PC and let’s push the gaming landscape forward

#Sir2LakhRupeesWhen

• Haha 1