PlayStation vs Xbox vs Nintendo thread

2 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

I challenge you to play the og xbox title, Jet Set Radio Future (JSRF, pretty sure you haven't even heard of that game) on an xsx/xss or even a PC for that matter (in a legit way) before commenting further on game preservation. 

Atleast conduct your debate/discussion properly, instead of addressing one issue head on, you will just pivot to JSRF? Also, JSRF is a sega game, building a remaster or anything is their imperative and mandate, and not Microsoft's.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

I challenge you to play the og xbox title, Jet Set Radio Future (JSRF, pretty sure you haven't even heard of that game) on an xsx/xss or even a PC for that matter (in a legit way) before commenting further on game preservation. 

1. The game hasn’t released on pc. 

2. and ‘sega’ delisted that because they couldn’t afford to license the soundtracks again. Entirely different issue and not related to preservation. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SaiKO said:

Fun fact, Pc games are digital only from year 2004. Everyone gotta download games from clients such as steam, blizzard, uplay, ea origins… basically every launcher. None of them went out afaik, and never will in near future unless some global catastrophe happens. 

Nobody complains about ‘preservation’ there. Because discs do get bad over long time. Digital games on servers wont. Digital games are BETTER in preservation. If physical games are better at preservation then my copy of No One Lives Forever 1/2, Enter the Matrix, prince of persia 3d, max payne, Soldiers of Fortune 2: Double Helix would work. They don’t anymore. And only max payne is available on digital platform, rest of the games are not. On the other hand, HL2 still works, you know why? Because it’s not on disc. It’s on my Steam account. And will be there in my entire life. 

Be it M$ or be it P$. Physical copies are never for preservation. Digitals are. Game pass is preservation. Ps digital is preservation(unless Sony suddenly decides to stop backward compatibility in future). 

just my thoughts. 

I've actually been wanting to post this for a long time, Disc rot is a very real issue. Plus the simple fact Physical media format may not be readable by next gen console drive (eg Bluray vs CD/VCD/DVD/HD DVD) whereas digital media has no such boundation.

Just now, SaiKO said:

1. The game hasn’t released on pc. 

2. and ‘sega’ delisted that because they couldn’t afford to license the soundtracks again. Entirely different issue and not related to preservation. 

Of course it is. If you own the disc, there is a way to still play it. 

If you don't (for whatever reasons) you won't be able to experience the masterpiece on any system for that matter. 

That brings me to the original argument, best way to preserve games you like (and would want to pick up in future) is always physical. 

Also license expiring is not something new to MS. Entire Harry potter series has expired licenses, Folklore is not listed anywhere digitally because of licenses. 

In fact, Sony was about to close the entire PS3/Vita/PSP digital stores. Many of the games on these systems are not playable anywhere else so how does that help game preservation? Considering finding physical edition for some games is next to impossible at good prices.

3 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

If you don't (for whatever reasons) you won't be able to experience the masterpiece on any system for that matter. 

That brings me to the original argument, best way to preserve games you like (and would want to pick up in future) is always physical. 

Something tells me you haven’t gaming for long.  

• Haha 1

Just now, playstationdude said:

Also license expiring is not something new to MS. Entire Harry potter series has expired licenses, Folklore is not listed anywhere digitally because of licenses. 

In fact, Sony was about to close the entire PS3/Vita/PSP digital stores. Many of the games on these systems are not playable anywhere else so how does that help game preservation? Considering finding physical edition for some games is next to impossible at good prices.

Exactly. 

I have already mentioned about sony in an earlier post. 

The original argument was digital vs physical ways of preservation, and some were of the opinion that digital is better. Maybe true in some cases, but when it comes to licenses, digital content  can get pulled of the shelves easily. 

However if you have something jn physical form, it can still be played if you have the original hardware. 

Also, saikos argument of bringing pc games was not correct in entirety. I mean I have games which can still be played on older windows systems without the need of any internet connection. 

He's tryinf to play older games on latest windows. Ofcourse they won't work the way they are meant to. 

Just now, radicaldude said:

Exactly. 

I have already mentioned about sony in an earlier post. 

The original argument was digital vs physical ways of preservation, and some were of the opinion that digital is better. Maybe true in some cases, but when it comes to licenses, digital content  can get pulled of the shelves easily. 

However if you have something jn physical form, it can still be played if you have the original hardware. 

Also, saikos argument of bringing pc games was not correct in entirety. I mean I have games which can still be played on older windows systems without the need of any internet connection. 

He's tryinf to play older games on latest windows. Ofcourse they won't work the way they are meant to. 

Also on PC, the modding community has made it super easy to play older games via dosbox and plugins like dgVooDoo. Releasing a game on PC is the best way to ensure it is genuinely preserved.

1 minute ago, SaiKO said:

Something tells me you haven’t gaming for long.  

Nope. Maybe you are not thinking out of the box. 

You are trying to play games made for windows 98/xp on a windows 10/11. Ofcourse they won't work properly. 

Try installing/playing them on older oses and they would work as they were supposed to work . Insert disc-> install game-> play game. 

2 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

Nope. Maybe you are not thinking out of the box. 

You are trying to play games made for windows 98/xp on a windows 10/11. Ofcourse they won't work properly. 

Try installing/playing them on older oses and they would work as they were supposed to work . Insert disc-> install game-> play game. 

Who told you these craps? Or do you make it out of thin air?  

Do you even play PC games ffs? Didn’t you play Wolf 3d, heretic, doom, duke nukem 3d on windows 11?  Most of the (if not every famous games) old games works. And the backward compatibility for pc goes back to these dos games. 

Unless you are a PC dude, don’t ever bother to post your twitter facts about pc here. Like in last post how u said Jet set radio on pc. Or how steam is not drm. 

jeez. Kuch bhi bakna hain kya?? 

34 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

Lol I sold my Xbox, so yeah right now i can't play them till i get SX. That said I have decent amount of og BC Xbox games in my library but i don't think i will ever play them as i rarely go back to playing old games. I don't even play 360 generation games now lol.

But you missing the point of Overlord post. Point is og Xbox games are still accessible to Xbox gamers and you can play them on SX, so MS doing much better job of game  preservation than Sony.

So stop crying and take the L.

Edited by WhiteWolf

11 hours ago, SaiKO said:

Fun fact, Pc games are digital only from year 2004. Everyone gotta download games from clients such as steam, blizzard, uplay, ea origins… basically every launcher. None of them went out afaik, and never will in near future unless some global catastrophe happens. 

Nobody complains about ‘preservation’ there. Because discs do get bad over long time. Digital games on servers wont. Digital games are BETTER in preservation. If physical games are better at preservation then my copy of No One Lives Forever 1/2, Enter the Matrix, prince of persia 3d, max payne, Soldiers of Fortune 2: Double Helix would work. They don’t anymore. And only max payne is available on digital platform, rest of the games are not. On the other hand, HL2 still works, you know why? Because it’s not on disc. It’s on my Steam account. And will be there in my entire life. 

Be it M$ or be it P$. Physical copies are never for preservation. Digitals are. Game pass is preservation. Ps digital is preservation(unless Sony suddenly decides to stop backward compatibility in future). 

just my thoughts. 

5 minutes ago, SaiKO said:

Do you even play PC games ffs? Didn’t you play Wolf 3d, heretic, doom, duke nukem 3d on windows 11?  Most of the (if not every famous games) old games works. And the backward compatibility for pc goes back to these dos games. 

Unless you are a PC dude, don’t ever bother to post your twitter facts about pc here. Like in last post how u said Jet set radio on pc. Or how steam is not drm. 

Do you suffer from some sort of short term amnesia? 

If your first post you had mentioned about games like no one lives forever, soldier of fortune etc and how they don't work on modern systems via disc. 

My point was with regards to those games (lemme spell it out for you to make it easier for you to comprehend) that those DISC based games would still be playable on an older pc with windows 98/xp. 

Looks like you belong to the same brigade- peddle misinformation and spin facts by cherry picking. 

9 minutes ago, SaiKO said:

Radical is actually pretty deep into PC gaming. The games you are talking about are source ports to normal windows x86 or utilise DOSBOX in general, via additional effort made by a developer/publisher.

What he is trying to say is that older hardware still runs old games made for that time with those sensibilities in mind, esp games that did not get a modern release, do not run well on modern systems, due to archaic installation requirements, old DRM breaking, or a combination of the two.

Just now, radicaldude said:

Do you suffer from some sort of short term amnesia? 

If your first post you had mentioned about games like no one lives forever, soldier of fortune etc and how they don't work on modern systems via disc. 

My point was with regards to those games (lemme spell it out for you to make it easier for you to comprehend) that those DISC based games would still be playable on an older pc with windows 98/xp. 

Looks like you belong to the same brigade- peddle misinformation and spin facts by cherry picking. 

You didnt even read why physical copy of the game are unreliable. My discs went bad. And if these games are available in digital platform i could have still able to play it. 

but you being you. Ignored the important part and went blabbering with few ‘words’. 

25 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

How can u blame MS for not able to play 3rd party games on Xbox  or pc ? 

1 minute ago, SaiKO said:

You didnt even read why physical copy of the game are unreliable. My discs went bad. And if these games are available in digital platform i could have still able to play it. 

but you being you. Ignored the important part and went blabbering with few ‘words’. 

Then that's a problem in storage (your personal problem).

My pc games are still prestine and work just fine (rather like a dream). 

It's not as if physical game preservation itself is bad. 

(Though I agree digital is way too convenient on modern systems) 

And those games are not available on digital platforms because of publishers. 

Valve, Ms has nothing to do with that. So just stop being a tryhard typist who gets the information out of twitter or thin air.