PlayStation vs Xbox vs Nintendo thread

13 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

TIL this is on steam also, earlier I thought only PC GP does this

This will be on every Online DRM. It happens for security reason where the system and account won't get abused. i.e..not getting used by large number of people for a single account.

Steam has family sharing as well where it needs to be authorized by the master account for family play. There, the games needs to be played once in online mode before can be played offline. You have to make sure not to signed out of your friend list (Which requires you to be online to do so).

So basically, being online is not required if you are playing an offline game which has been played before. But if it's a freshly installed games, you need to activate once on online. And people with steam don't mind being online, it's common since 2004 in PC.

I dunno what's the big deal about XBL service going out for a day! People who were playing their games and had them activated in their home console could play nonetheless. It's the issue with family sharing which caused the issue because family sharing require authentication check everytime because of multiple console sharing the information of an account due to family sharing.

This isn't an issue to be fought about in XBOX vs PS....

XBL service is kindda like steam for console on initial days...but offcourse not polished like Steam on PC. Remember Steam is here for a long time and it took years for the service to reach where it is today. XBL has not reached to that lvl....but for DRM, I think it's quite similar to Steam. Steam also had server outage even few years back where none of the PC players were able to browse, buy, play their non activated games. So this isn't a big deal for people who are used to steam like services.

Xbox and it's features are more towards PC rather than a console tbh...online DRM, almost full backward compatibility....seamless transition and coop with PC, account, library sharing with PC....etc. Yes, it doesn't have great exclusives lineup like PS but it's actually a quite flexible system, specially if you are coming from PC side of things.

50 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

Screenshot-20220511-112451150-1.jpg

Steam provides thousands of games. It depends on the developer if they want to add drm (or not) .

Valve games are drm free and that's what matters to me. 

However drm is a crucial component of the xbox ecosystem itself. 

That's what is being criticised here 

Valve's games are not DRM free. They have a DRM, it's called STEAM itself.

• Haha 3

57 minutes ago, WhiteWolf said:

I must be playing on some other system i guess.

There's DRM on Xbox but it just requires you to connect once to Live servers after initial installation. Then you can play offline. You can play offline on Xbox from that point.

Same way it works on Steam.

People want this Steam style system to be removed from Xbox.

Can you blame the console only gamers? They are oblivious of a system that exists since 2004 on pc.

They are used to playing offline so much so that suddenly a PC like closed box device from microsoft and it's DRM is incomprehensible by them.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SaiKO said:

XBL service is kindda like steam for console on initial days...but offcourse not polished like Steam on PC. Remember Steam is here for a long time and it took years for the service to reach where it is today. XBL has not reached to that lvl....but for DRM, I think it's quite similar to Steam. Steam also had server outage even few years back where none of the PC players were able to browse, buy, play their non activated games. So this isn't a big deal for people who are used to steam like services.

They were the first to implement the whole pay for multiplayer meme since like what 2006 when the x360 launched, they better have high availability and "polish" of their network

No need to defend their f**k ups.

• Like 1

Those who consider them as elite "PCMR" and still are vehemently defending DRM are nothing but ?

images-2022-05-11-T123415-065.jpg

In disguise. 

I'm pretty sure they are oblivious to the fact that pc gamers have been anti drm since the, inception of drm. They must be unaware of the Denuvo fiasco which happened few years back and how REAL PC GAMERS came together and fought back. 

Pc gaming never had drm in its design. The reason sites like GoG.com exist. 

However post the 360, Xbox has been designed keeping the DRM in mind. Else langar can't be distributed. 

16 minutes ago, SaiKO said:

Can you blame the console only gamers? They are oblivious of a system that exists since 2004 on pc.

They are used to playing offline so much so that suddenly a PC like closed box device from microsoft and it's DRM is incomprehensible by them.

Radical plays on Nintendo DS . That's the only system he owns

4 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

They were the first to implement the whole pay for multiplayer meme since like what 2006 when the x360 launched, they better have high availability and "polish" of their network

It was launched with Halo 2 2004 on og Xbox if I remember correctly. 

Or maybe 2005 with 360 launch. 

5 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

Lot of online services go down for few hours. Its common but 30 days outage with 70m account compromised not common lol 

It was launched with Halo 2 2004 on og Xbox if I remember correctly. 

Or maybe 2005 with 360 launch. 

Waise bola jay to I dont understand why would they need money for MP and services from both end..

XBL and PSN.... why would they need money for a basic feature of Multiplayer? Answer is running those private servers. But noone bothers about that answer. 

On PC, game servers are also hosted by third party thus we have problems of hackers and many more... Consoles doesn't have that issue. But I will always criticise both consoles for hiding MP behind a PAYWALL...it could have been free.

Real PCMR also loves STEAM, and it's THE MOST POPULAR PLATFORM ON PC, and that's a DRM itself. 

PC gamers don't love Denuvo because it hampers performance of the game. But PCMR doesn't have problem with other DRMs such as Steam. If a basic thing such as this has to be mentioned to some people then they should stay where they are..... a closed box platform. And don't let their juvenile mind bother with terms of DRM and stuffs. Put on cassette, cd, dvds, blu-ray in the reader of the device and enjoy what they have. Enjoy perseverance of the games in oldschool style.

Edited by SaiKO

Screenshot-20220511-130145869-1.jpg

DRM is such a negative word not just in pc gaming, but software development in general. 

It gets criticized by most who are into software development. It's can be compared to digital facism where the corporation controls everything one can consume or do online. 

But ofcourse ?s won't know this and they'll continue to defend it ?

1 hour ago, SaiKO said:

Stop dodging facts with your BS. Defend your crap posts plagued with your crap opinions first with some amazing things called 'facts'. Otherwise just buzz off.

Again.

Nobody is defending third party DRM...

Everyone gonna defend Steam..... and XBL,  which itself are DRMs and a service.

So you want steam gone? How our games will be preserved?
XBL gone, how the same principle will apply for the games? How they gonna have your games in your account forever? And also mitigate issue such a piracy.

Give a solution for this requirement first...then we can say a thing or two about DRM.

Edited by SaiKO
  • Like 1