PlayStation vs Xbox vs Nintendo thread

5 minutes ago, RV1709 said:

lots of nuance here. I don’t play rpg. I prefer linear games with good storytelling and great graphics. For me, it’s a solid 8. 

He's asking your rating for TLOU - linear game with good storytelling and great graphics only .. 

9 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Why did it get 10/10?

Same reason Skyrim gets a 10/10. ND wasn't known for great gameplay until UC4/LL/Part 2. Even now some argue it isn't anything special and story, dialog, character etc carries their game hard.

Just now, CarbonCore said:

Same reason Skyrim gets a 10/10. ND wasn't known for great gameplay until UC4/LL/Part 2. Even now some argue it isn't anything special and story, dialog, character etc carries their game hard.

UC2 had amazing gameplay . And introduced MP for the first time.  Don't remember anyone criticizing the gameplay mechanics of that game. With Metacritic rating of 96 it's still the highest rated ND game. ( Closely followed by TLOU1) 

1 minute ago, CarbonCore said:

yup. Gameplay is simplified to appeal the mass.

TLOU2 has better gameplay than 1 for sure. But It's nothing special. It's just that the presentation is soo good that people don't bother about the rest of the gameplay stuffs.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

You mean combat isn't the sole factor for deciding the quality of a game? 

I wish it was, lots of subpar combat/gameplay games get 10/10.

3 minutes ago, Krazyniks said:

UC2 had amazing gameplay . And introduced MP for the first time.  Don't remember anyone criticizing the gameplay mechanics of that game. With Metacritic rating of 96 it's still the highest rated ND game. ( Closely followed by TLOU1) 

Its a third person Gears knock off that heavily relies on scripted sequences. Your standard shootouts are just run of a mill third person encounters with loose aiming and auto platforming. UC3 even fked the aiming further at launch until it was patched days later. 

20 minutes ago, Krazyniks said:

He's asking your rating for TLOU - linear game with good storytelling and great graphics only .. 

yes but he and I could have different tastes and expectations from a game depending on what makes you lean in, what do you care/ not care about in a game and the width of games has been exposed to.  

47 minutes ago, SaiKO said:

TLOU2 has better gameplay than 1 for sure. But It's nothing special. It's just that the presentation is soo good that people don't bother about the rest of the gameplay stuffs.

How exactly do you define "gameplay"? 

Where do you draw the line? 

Is it only limited to aiming and shooting enemies with precision? 

For me, gameplay is just about everything you see and do and hear in a video game (aka.. the entire experience). 

Edited by Vamos

49 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

You mean combat isn't the sole factor for deciding the quality of a game? 

performance and graphics are also not the criteria for 10/10.. see Elden ring…

performs like sh*t…

still GOTY 

Edited by hsk_colossus

8 minutes ago, Vamos said:

For me, gameplay is just about everything you see and do and hear in a video game (aka.. the entire experience). 

It's a set of function and options to overcome a problem that is presented in the map. It's about control as a player.

In other games the motivators are gameplay element, getting more functions or the execution of gameplay that motivates players to keep on playing the game. So the function of eliminating obstacles in the game have to be fun and needs to hold out on their own. And offcourse, it needs to be different and pivotal moments need to controlled by players, otherwise, there's no pay off for gameplay. 

In ND type games, the motivators are Story, Characters and narration. Where pivotal moments happens only in cutscenes, in limited control events. So player has very less control in that. 

It's the formula...cutscene, gameplay box, cutscene, gameplay box, more cutscene, again kill box. Etc. You see a cutscene, you came in a zone, clear it out, then again cutscene....rinse and repeat. 

It has same core gameplay as first game, with very advanced cosmetic presentation. Same loop, but with some minor addition such as rope segment. It's a very dated core gameplay now.

In important segment, your character will start walking and do some other action and the game takes away control from you except you need to press forward or some button to next segment in cutscene. The transition is great. As an entertainment, sure, you will be entertained by whole package. But as a game, these are restricted function and thus, the game progress on it's own. Overall experience is in a dev controlled way..... in a very curated linear path. Not the way you wanna get creative upon. So your gameplay will be same as my gameplay. Thus, some gamers criticize ND games for the way it is.

Well, overall ND games are more of a movie type experience, a really great experience only they can do.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vamos said:

gameplay can be very clearly and sharply defined as the part where the player interacts with the controller. Everything beyond that is not gameplay 

Edited by 0verlord

26 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

gameplay can be very clearly and sharply defined as the part where the player interacts with the controller. Everything beyond that is not gameplay 

That’s not always true. 

You interact with the game (and the game with you) in several different ways. 

If you ask me about my most memorable gaming experiences, most of them are because of an epic soundtrack, a revelation in the story/plot and the overall impact the game had on me. 

In most games, the controller part you mentioned is limited to shooting down the enemy and the dopamine effect you have. It’s very one-dimensional, imo. 

Game creators started moving beyond this mindset years ago.