PlayStation vs Xbox vs Nintendo thread

54 minutes ago, Krazyniks said:

What is the definition of a next gen console ? 

One that can run a next gen game , Has the features which we expect from a next gen console - Ray tracing / Super fast load times / 120fps support / Quick Resume ( in case of Xbox consoles) and should be supported for the entirety of next gen . 

Xbox Series S - checks all the boxes so yes it's next gen .. It runs games on a lower - 2k resolution yes. 

But More than half of the population in US ( let alone the world ) still doesn't own a 4k TV - so no 4k is not a necessary part of being next gen (Even though XSS does  pretty good upscaling) 

And yes it's aimed more towards casual users who don't care about 4k or few graphical settings . But it's a next gen console as it meets the above criteria. Doubters can doubt all they want - XSS users are happy with their next gen purchase 

Its a console which can run game like Flight Simulator pretty okay when a much more expensive gaming PC would struggle to run it . Nuff said .

except that RT modes are being skipped over by many developers(60FPS modes to that too,smh)

1 hour ago, Krazyniks said:

But More than half of the population in US ( let alone the world ) still doesn't own a 4k TV

Where did you get this figure? Even assuming less than 50% americans own a 4k tv, the assumption here is that probablity that gamers will necessarily overlap with people who dont own a 4k tv is more than 50%, which seemd doubtful.

Edited by playstationdude

8 hours ago, playstationdude said:

Where did you get this figure? Even assuming less than 50% americans own a 4k tv, the assumption here is that probablity that gamers will necessarily overlap with people who dont own a 4k tv is more than 50%, which seemd doubtful.

Raat mein spender sapne main Aya tha. 

21 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

Simply next gen . 

Everything is clear from this tagline itself 

Xbox SIMPS aka bots consider series S as SIMPly next gen. If you consider it as one, you know who you are....

You need to shut your mouth now. 

Admins bought Series S now. So you insulting them and their purchase by crapping on SS. 

9 hours ago, playstationdude said:

From Statista website . 44% users own 4k TV at the end of Mar 21 . Just type "4k TV owners USA" on Google . Unlike Radical I don't use made up for sources. 

Also this is for the US the ratio for other countries would be much less. 

Also I am not making any assumption about gamers overlapping or anything . Just saying 4k should not be considered standard for this gen since not everybody owns it . Even though XSS does pretty good Upscaling to 4k. 

10 hours ago, Vamos said:

1H1jwOB.jpg

9 hours ago, BK__317 said:

except that RT modes are being skipped over by many developers(60FPS modes to that too,smh)

By that logic even PS5/XSX aren't truly next gen . Most AAA games do not support 4k120fps .hell they don't even do native4k60fps in majority of AAA games. Resolution drops to 1800p for games like HFW and to 1600p for Control ( Ultimate Edition PS5)  in performance mode targeting 60 fps . And games like deathloop/Uncharted Legacy of Thieves collection which support 120fps do so at 1080p . 

Spiderman may do 4k80/90 fps but that's because of work by its creators and VRR display ( something which even less people own)

10 minutes ago, Krazyniks said:

Just saying 4k should not be considered standard for this gen since not everybody owns it . Even though XSS does pretty good Upscaling to 4k. 

True. 

4K and hdmi 2.1 are the biggest marketing terms used by Sony and MS to promote next gen. 

Neither of them are absolutely essential for playing any next gen games (so far). 

The most useful feature is SSD and faster load times and the overall CPU power to run more games at 60 fps 

Edited by Vamos

2 minutes ago, Vamos said:

True. 

4K and hdmi 2.1 are the biggest marketing terms used by Sony and MS to promote next gen. 

Neither of them are absolutely essential for playing any next gen games (so far). 

True it's all about Marketing only. On Social media it's always being said XSS is not next gen hence this ad (and other ads before and many to come after this ) by MS to say it's next gen . 

56 minutes ago, Vamos said:

The most useful feature is SSD and faster load times and the overall CPU power to run more games at 60 fps 

Yes that and Quick Resume ( or haptic feedback/triggers for PS5) . I know with SSD games load quicker anyway but Quick Resume just makes the experience better. 

36 minutes ago, Krazyniks said:

Yes that and Quick Resume ( or haptic feedback/triggers for PS5) . I know with SSD games load quicker anyway but Quick Resume just makes the experience better. 

You forget things that are possible only via next gen features. Things like Portals in R&C: Rift Apart. It's just not possible to re-create them in old gen consoles (Non-SSD). I expect the upcoming Scorn will also have some new feature that makes it not possible on old gen consoles.

For me at least, true Next Gen Games means it's just not possible to make on Previous Gen (PS4/X1). Not simply tacking on RT or increased resolution, but genuinely "Not Possible to make the Game". Another example was Mordor games on PS4/X1 launch (Nemesis system was just not possible on PS3/X360). This used to be the case a lot when x64 was not the norm. As of right now, the only true next gen game in the entire industry is R&C: Rift Apart I think.

1 hour ago, Krazyniks said:

By that logic even PS5/XSX aren't truly next gen . Most AAA games do not support 4k120fps .hell they don't even do native4k60fps in majority of AAA games. Resolution drops to 1800p for games like HFW and to 1600p for Control ( Ultimate Edition PS5)  in performance mode targeting 60 fps . And games like deathloop/Uncharted Legacy of Thieves collection which support 120fps do so at 1080p . 

Spiderman may do 4k80/90 fps but that's because of work by its creators and VRR display ( something which even less people own)

Bro defending Series S is full time job. People are just obsessed with it.

It's magical device that triggers bots and ponies alike. 

Just like MS first party games it attracts too much attention for wrong reasons (Halo, and now Starfield).

I would say it's futile cause nobody will understand anything you say.

Do as you wish. But I have understood this since I got it near launch.