PlayStation vs Xbox vs Nintendo thread

19 hours ago, Krazyniks said:

Saw this article again today . 

https://www.thegamer.com/starfield-delay-modern-game-development-unsustainable/

We should discuss more about this then stupid console wars .

I for one would definitely prefer games coming out faster with more focus towards making game more fun/innovative rather than details on Horse balls shrinking in cold(RDR2) like mentioned in the article . No doubt these details are amazing and dev's worked very hard on it . But did it really make that much of a difference in overall experience of the game for us compared to the work and cost it required . 

Also Keep console war stuff out of it. The writer is just using Starfield as an example ..

I mean, this is probably something gamers have been saying for a while now. "Less focus on graphics, more on gameplay". If I recall correctly, the problem is that most people care about graphics more than anything else, probably because it's the easiest aspect to judge. To see if the gameplay is fun or if the story is good, you need to spend a lot of time watching gameplay videos or whatever, but you can tell if the graphics is good with just one glance.

There's also the fact that people expect graphics to get better and better with each generation. In fact, it is the main thing that people look for justify their console purchases. The question is almost always "Do the games on the newer system look good enough for me to upgrade?". No matter how good the gameplay or story might be, a low budget game won't sell as much as a AAA game with amazing graphics but average gameplay. There are exceptions of course, but talking about the norm here. We've all heard "this game looks like a PS2/PS3 game lmao" criticisms countless times. So, games with top tier graphics are necessary because they're console sellers.

So yeah, game development cost and time will keep on increasing as a result. As Shawn Layden said, first party PS5 games will cost 200 million dollars to make, which is almost twice the average budget of the first party games on the PS4. If I had my way. I would probably lock the dev time to 2-3 years. They can make the graphics as good as the dev time allows them to.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kumar123 said:

There's also the fact that people expect graphics to get better and better with each generation. In fact, it is the main thing that people look for justify their console purchases. The question is almost always "Do the games on the newer system look good enough for me to upgrade?". No matter how good the gameplay or story might be, a low budget game won't sell as much as a AAA game with amazing graphics but average gameplay. There are exceptions of course, but talking about the norm here. We've all heard "this game looks like a PS2/PS3 game lmao" criticisms countless times. So, games with top tier graphics are necessary because they're console sellers.

So yeah, game development cost and time will keep on increasing as a result. As Shawn Layden said, first party PS5 games will cost 200 million dollars to make, which is almost twice the average budget of the first party games on the PS4. If I had my way. I would probably lock the dev time to 2-3 years. They can make the graphics as good as the dev time allows them to.

Definitely true . But the problem is we have definitely entered into

"diminishing returns with subsequent higher upgrades in graphics" . The excess time and money spent doesn't improve the overall experience that much at all . 

True i would prefer the same as well with a fixed budget . With little leeway in both time and budget for stuff which Dev's would say is absolutely vital for the game. 

As Cory Balrog himself said they are limiting new GOW series to 2 games because they didn't want to tell a story in 15 years. 

I personally don't want to wait more for the games i want to play . 

Edited by Krazyniks

20 hours ago, Krazyniks said:

Saw this article again today . 

https://www.thegamer.com/starfield-delay-modern-game-development-unsustainable/

We should discuss more about this then stupid console wars .

I for one would definitely prefer games coming out faster with more focus towards making game more fun/innovative rather than details on Horse balls shrinking in cold(RDR2) like mentioned in the article . No doubt these details are amazing and dev's worked very hard on it . But did it really make that much of a difference in overall experience of the game for us compared to the work and cost it required . 

Also Keep console war stuff out of it. The writer is just using Starfield as an example ..

Nice way of justifying 540p in 2022 :rofl:

Sony and Nintendo are the companies that innovate. 

Vr, dualsense, handheld gaming etc. 

Xbox sticks to old formulas. The they haven't experimented with vr or haptics. They even discontinued kinect :roflroll:

Stale old formula of halo/forza/gears

8 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

Nice way of justifying 540p in 2022 :rofl:

Sony and Nintendo are the companies that innovate. 

Vr, dualsense, handheld gaming etc. 

Xbox sticks to old formulas. The they haven't experimented with vr or haptics. They even discontinued kinect :roflroll:

Stale old formula of halo/forza/gears

my original post where i share this link said pretty clearly - Want to discuss genuine stuff affecting the industry and not console wars . Read the article ..if you don't have anything genuine to contribute don't quote me . 

1 minute ago, Krazyniks said:

my original post where i share this link said pretty clearly - Want to discuss genuine stuff affecting the industry and not console wars . Read the article ..if you don't have anything genuine to contribute don't quote me . 

Hey don’t slander rdr2. It’s a classic 

49 minutes ago, Kumar123 said:

new ideas takes time to implement... but if you want cod type games to come out every year then yeah this is fine... 

6 minutes ago, Krazyniks said:

this link is nothing but hokum.

game development needs to go forward and not get stagnated.

For that innovations need to happen. Development time is just a fallout of that. If you want graphically inferior titles, stick to 8/16 bit games.

Also, not all titles are 4k/60 on current gen. Yet they are a lot of fun.

However the sad part is, when a marquee title runs at 540P :rofl:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KrIzAliD said:

new ideas takes time to implement... but if you want cod type games to come out every year then yeah this is fine... 

The article talks about the excess work required on minor graphical upgrades not gameplay ideas. Same point is being discussed here. 

2 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

this link is nothing but hokum.

game development needs to go forward and not get stagnated.

For that innovations need to happen. Development time is just a fallout of that. If you want graphically inferior titles, stick to 8/16 bit games.

Also, not all titles are 4k/60 on current gen. Yet they are a lot of fun.

However the sad part is, when a marquee title runs at 540P :rofl:

Again console wars. Got nothing further to say to you. 

Just now, Krazyniks said:

The article talks about the excess work required on minor graphical upgrades not gameplay ideas. Same point is being discussed here. 

so what do you think are the minor graphical upgrades? 

in current gen/next gen details matters a lot no matter how small they might be... how hard they need to work on it is up to the developers.

Just now, Kumar123 said:

They don't take 5 years. 

they take even more than that... current example for you is Cyberpunk... they showed the teaser in 2009 and see the state the game was released in... even though they know how to make open world games and see what they gave.

telling bungie to make a brand new ip like HALO in 5 years yeah good luck with that.