PlayStation vs Xbox vs Nintendo thread

48 minutes ago, Kumar123 said:

Looked him up and he seems to be a Lead Character Artist at a AAA studio. So, not a dev, right?

No offence but that's a pretty ignorant statement to make. Developer is a very general term and generally refers to everyone that's involved in developing the game. Not just the programmers.

2 minutes ago, SaiKO said:

I'm as much developer as a programmer or a sound editor or an animator or game tester or a game story writer or a designer.

All of the people work towards to develop a software.

This.

30 minutes ago, TRMNTR said:

Senior Games Analyst :P

Jokes aside, @SaiKO how much impact do you think will something like UE5 have in terms of speedy development?

Only one. The engine has toolsets which are already developed or being developed by Epic. So the company doesn't need to spend much resources on the engine. That can reduce some significant time. But again, if the scope of the game is bigger then it will require much time. 

Like if CP2077 took 5-6 yrs to make (active development) in RedEngine alongside with it's engine development. Given same scope for the game in it's time, it could reduce 1 yr max...but then again, developing certain functions on certain engine do require much time....so all based upon scopes and goal of the development studio and their projects.

Only good thing, they will have EPIC to help them develop toolset FOR THEM.

53 minutes ago, Kumar123 said:

Looked him up and he seems to be a Lead Character Artist at a AAA studio. So, not a dev, right?

Lol. Visual artists, programmers, testers, sound guys etc are all part of the dev team. Heck even producers or the receptionists at the studio's office get credited as part of the dev team in the credits. 

2 minutes ago, Kumar123 said:

It was a question, not a statement.

Fair enough. Ignorant question then considering a Lead Character Artist would know way more about game development than any of use laymen regardless of whether they're a "dev" or not.

I'm not trying to be condescending here (sorry if it came across like that) but you're not alone. A lot of people take "developers" in the literal sense of it.

Just clearing an information. 

Development is a collaborative process. 

Even a junior artist and animator works with engine to develop a task. So don’t invent new stuffs for internet debate please. 

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, SaiKO said:

Sure. I'll explain some of the complexities in general term. Excluding the graphics, lookdev, animation and whatnot. Note, this is general terms, and applicable to general game development.

1. Open world speed tree mechanism and procedural object placement system used to be simple instances with some variables, with little to no physics in them. Now open world games weather system and the environment reacts upon that, ie more dynamic. This is to make world more believable. Environment and setdressing is more complex due to this, and player interaction is more elaborated. This is to make world more immersive, afterall game is an interactive and immersive media. Some of the engines even support dynamic object placement and remembers that in the world, such as BGS games, their engine could be janky in many area, but their engine do remembers the object matrix based upon world space. 

2. Specially SP games focuses much more functional development of the game mechanism. AI development takes a huge chunk of time, it's not simple NPC or enemy path in game lvl anymore where enemies will only move to certain area or simple follow their moveset. These AI are given toolset of reaction which changes based upon player's function trigger. Games like TLOU2 spent a huge CHUNK of time to develop this. Thus, the enemy is more believable than it's predecessor.  Again, details! As in emulating humanlike behaviour.

3. Hitbox detection and dynamic hitbox system. Nowadays every games has dynamic deformation and hitbox generation, and it's also getting much detailed over time. Again here, comes the AI reaction trigger that I mentioned in my last point. Look up in TLOU2. Enemy reacts differently based upon where they were being shot at, and with which weapon. All these details are, to push the immersion. 

4. In RPG, the stat change is not just a simple hitbox number increase now, it has effects implied. Plus, there are more attributes that shows visible changes and playstyle nowadays. And it requires much robust balancing the toolset and testing. With each iteration, every RPG games do this. Divinity 2 plays better and has more diversity in classes than Divinity 1, thusly. 

5. Third person Player movement is not like stick figure anymore, doesn't have 8 directional moveset like old times. It's 360 degree dynamic physics based set. Where player and npcs reacts upon world event trigger. Although it's rig and animation engineering but still, the functionality of characters are more fleshed out.

6. Gameplay! Yeah in a simple layman's term it's shooting or something. But these blunt looking functions also have much more nuances than you can imagine. Decal, hitcone and falloff calculation, particle generation, splash hit based on object detection and many many other functionality relies on it nowadays for most games.

7. Now, testing.....I feel bad for testers nowadays because they get the bashing by game communities and gamers....it's a stressful job and complex games require all these thousands of permutation and combination to go through to filter out everything...and even then it's not fully possible, specially for Open world games. More complex the game, more time require to find and report issues.

I could go on. But this took me abit of time to write down and I have other things to do. Thanks.

I think we have to appreciate the level of detail and value there is in Saiko’s posts and the level of effort that he puts in to explain when someone asks

unlike some miscreants who copy paste value-less Twitter nonsense as a pathetic desperate plea for attention 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kumar123 said:

Is that the best you can do?

"Hey, I think games will take less time to develop if devs don't focus on graphics so much for X and Y reasons."

"You're not a game dev lololol"

Either reply with sound arguments of your own or don't bother at all.

It was not directed at your speculation about game development. You can speculate as much as you want, no harm done.

But when somebody actively engaged in AAA game development tries to give you an informed explanation, and you come back with something like this (even though not directly to him)-

it does not look like you are asking a genuine question. It just looks like you are being a dick to somebody online for no good reason.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, quixote_1989 said:

It was not directed at your speculation about game development. You can speculate as much as you want, no harm done.

But when somebody actively engaged in AAA game development tries to give you an informed explanation, and you come back with something like this (even though not directly to him)-

it does not look like you are asking a genuine question. It just looks like you are being a dick to somebody online for no good reason.

Sounds like a you problem. I had already given a genuine reply to him with some questions even before someone told me that he is a dev.

Edited by Kumar123

Yesterday I talked about the QA team and about their importance and the time they require right?

So this news is hot right now. For the people who are 'truly' interested about what goes under and what can collapse a whole project. And why it TAKES TIME to make games. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

Bundling a $70 title with a $500 device vs giving out free subscriptions with packets of chips, candies, colas etc. 

Which one do you find more ludicrous 

Forcefully bundling a $70 title with a $500 device is more ludicrous

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radicaldude said:

Bundling a $70 title with a $500 device vs giving out free subscriptions with packets of chips, candies, colas etc. 

Which one do you find more ludicrous 

Are you implying that paying extra 70 bucks for something you don't need is better than getting stuff for free ?

:loco:

19 minutes ago, Ne0 said:

Are you implying that paying extra 70 bucks for something you don't need is better than getting stuff for free ?

:loco:

Horizon bundles are selling out. So it's definitely something people want and need. 

However giving out free subs with items such as candies and chips just to increase (rather, to artificially inflate your subscription count) is ludicrous indeed. 

When nothing works, you engage in such antics. 

Edited by radicaldude
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, radicaldude said:

Horizon bundles are selling out. So it's definitely something people want and need. 

Even Destruction All Stars bundles sold out like hotcakes. 

You think people wanted physical copies of Destruction All Stars for their game collection? :lol: