PlayStation vs Xbox vs Nintendo thread

7 minutes ago, adity said:

Comparing spending over 7 years adjusting for time value of money like a f**king chump. You can make 11-12% returns EZ PZ in that time horizon with index funds. I have nothing to do so I ran the numbers. Lo and behold a 36k difference over the life of the console and that is very conservative estimates for the PC hardware costs.

You could play around with the assumptions but I doubt the end result is going to be very different. 

(Shitty picture because I did it on my work laptop with no way to upload) 

20200722-004441.jpg

Which method have you used? NPV with diecount rate of 10%? 

Also lol this was coming to my mind since the first time cost benefit argument came up, but thought there are more qualified people to post. Finally you did post it. 

2 minutes ago, Walker said:

setting up a PC for that/can still bash xbox/zero guilt :lol:

Coward's way out, lol.

To be quite honest, I do want to get a PC.

But it seems pointless unless I can actually make it 'better' than the next gen consoles, and the cost investment for that is huge.

10 hours ago, PhantomShade said:

because literally every  current gen game """remastered" for next gen seems to have this 60 fps at whatever resolution, for example all ND games from PS3 era remastered at 1080p 60 fps, even gow3.

The Miles Morales game on PS5 also is going to be 4K 60, and that's because it was intended as PS4 game during development, later switched over to PS5 only.

Then again they can get away with 4K30, just look at how people lap up GTAV :rofl:

The games you have listed are Sony exclusives and remastered as there was no native backward compatibility of PS3 on PS4. If you look at Rockstar games track record, pretty much all their ports have been 30 frames across all consoles. Hell, even a game like GTA San Andreas wasn't bumped to 60 frames on PS3; they just ported the mobile version. 

Red Dead Redemption one was the only last generation game to get a 4K resolution update exclusively for the Xbox one X, but no frame rate increase. GTA V, well, you know it's history already. 

Currently, we don't know how backwards compatibility is going to work definitively. So for all intents and purposes, without a prospect of a RDR2 "Remaster" looming around the horizon, it's safe to stick with the facts at hand. 

1 minute ago, quixote_1989 said:

Coward's way out, lol.

But it seems pointless unless I can actually make it 'better' than the next gen consoles, and the cost investment for that is huge.

I did buy Witcher 1 & 2 on Steam like 2 years back but just like Witcher 3 DLC on PS, never really got the time. Also not sure how playing Witcher 1 and 2 would feel now. Still they were going for some 200rs bundle so just bought to pay respects. 

1 minute ago, quixote_1989 said:

Coward's way out, lol.

Change of generation is the worst time to invest in PC. You're paying twice for similar hardware because you don't get the margins that console makers get. And your PC will age like milk by the end of gen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adity said:

Comparing spending over 7 years adjusting for time value of money like a f**king chump. You can make 11-12% returns EZ PZ in that time horizon with index funds. I have nothing to do so I ran the numbers. Lo and behold a 20k difference over the life of the console and that is very conservative estimates for the PC hardware costs.

You could play around with the assumptions but I doubt the end result is going to be very different. 

PS: Previous comment was incorrect. f**ked up the formula. 

20200722-005608.jpg

Back in 2014 or whatever year I got the ps4 when it launched initially. I used to note down the cost at which I buy a game (only so that I could minus some amount and put it on tp). Then once sold I'd just minus the sale price and write the money spent figure. Find it below in spoiler tags (pulled it from my cloud storage named PS4 and PSV log). If you are buying a game in week 2 or 3 (for example anyone buying tlou2 at 2800 right now, you could easily play the game with 300spent since it will sell for 2500 easily) 

However if you want stuff day one then costing would become 800 to 900rs per game. If you mix both you'd get I guess what 500rs avg? But for someone like me who has been buying and selling games on IVG since a decade now. I don't think ever spent more than 1100 on a PS game. I only have 10 to 20games in early gen after that I stopped tracking this sh*t, it was fun only when the ps4 was new. I think I'd do it again once the ps5 gen begins to power IVGs very own AI  gaming spending estimator. :rolleyes:

Screenshot-20200722-015301-01.jpg

Edited by rAgHaV

2 hours ago, adity said:

Comparing spending over 7 years adjusting for time value of money like a f**king chump. You can make 11-12% returns EZ PZ in that time horizon with index funds. I have nothing to do so I ran the numbers. Lo and behold a 20k difference over the life of the console and that is very conservative estimates for the PC hardware costs.

PS: Previous comment was incorrect. f**ked up the formula. 

20200722-005608.jpg

Why 8 games a year though? That's less than a game a month. I guess that's fine for people who only play that many games (like I stated earlier as well that it all comes down to preferences).

I bought 33 games on steam alone in 2019 averaging at around 535rs per game. And this was back when I rarely used VPN.

And isn't PS plus 3K a year?

1 hour ago, adity said:

What about the profits? Its not a startup where revenue growth is the only thing that matters. 

Profits are only in annual report. And they never single out subscription profits, just overall profit of the Xbox division. If they're making money on GP then they've cracked the biggest secret of making profit on subs that most subscription services are still trying to find.

12 minutes ago, triggr happy ss said:

Chup kar yarr :wave: 

kitni bakwass karta hai ,you know business more than MS it seems :majesty:

funny how nobody makes a mention of all this stuff when talking of PS-related sales :lol:  Sony is allowed to live in a vaccum but MS makes money only because of global trending economy. 

http://media.tenor.com/images/3bbd686c1660aead2e08b977726f22d9/tenor.gi

Edited by dylanjosh

24 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

Profits are only in annual report. And they never single out subscription profits, just overall profit of the Xbox division. If they're making money on GP then they've cracked the biggest secret of making profit on subs that most subscription services are still trying to find.

If i am not wrong, those are reported along with their devices division. They don't report purely Xbox division's profits or losses anymore.

2 minutes ago, adity said:

I don't exactly remember but I think it's possible to deduce it through the percentages mentioned in other places in the annual report and sh*t. 

We can definitely make rough estimates. But i don't think they report them officially. Let me have a look at their report. I might be wrong.