Credit Card - Help & Recommendations

El Tigre Chino

49 minutes ago, SuperT said:

Does it make sense to use the Amazon ICICI card on Amazon or use DCB via smartbuy ?  

Depends on the amount you are spending and the value you can get out of the RP on DCB.

Let me take an example:

Sony WF1000XM4 = 16990 (post 2k discount on all cards) on Amz.

Option 1: DCB on Smartbuy

Amount Paid: 16990

Base RPs: 16990/150 = 113*5 = 566

Bonus RPs: 566*3  (3x SB multiplier) = 1699 - 566 = 1133

Total RPs: 566 + 1133 = 1699

Total Cost: 16990 - 1699 = 15291

(1RP = 1RE)

Option 2: Amz ICICI on Amz

Base Amount: 16990

Special Amz ICICI discount: 750

Amount Paid: 16240

Cashback (5%): 812

Total Cost: 15428

In this example DCB comes ahead.

But there are some limitations:

1) DCB has max bonus RP cap of 2500/day, 7500/month and post that you will only get the base RP while Amazon has 5% unlimited cashback.

2) Assumed 1RP = 1RE as that is the redemption ratio for Flights/Hotels on Smartbuy and 1RP = 1 Air Mile, if you don't have this redemption use case then RP value is lower.

3) 750 special discount for Amz ICICI is under offer period and shared among all the transactions in the offer period. If you do the above transaction outside the offer period then DCB will look even more attractive.

So it really depends on:

1) How much you are spending in 1 transaction and if 5% flat cashback ends up making sense over 2500+Base RPs.

2) How many transactions you are doing in a month i.e. in case you exhaust 7500/month RPs.

3) How you want to use the RPs, if you don't want any travel redemption or airmiles, Amz cashback makes a lot of sense.

One more use case can be utilities payment. Smartbuy allows 5k Amz voucher/month but charges 150 as processing fee, so 5150 but offers 495 total points after bonus, hence a return of almost 9.5% over 5150.

But Amz ICICI only gives 2% cashback over utility payments.

So all in all, depends on how you cut it.

I am trying to get DCB + Citi (Backup) and then Amz ICICI, which should cover all of my expenses.

Will evaluate when Amex comes back or maybe 6-8 months down the line I can try for Infinia/next best.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Depends on the amount you are spending and the value you can get out of the RP on DCB.

Thanks for the detailed response man. I am also looking at IDFC First Credit Card and it seems like a decent LTF card. Going to keep my Amex and DCB and will go for IDFC or Amazon ICICI. 

7 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

Base RPs: 16990/150 = 113*5 = 566

Bonus RPs: 566*3  (3x SB multiplier) = 1699 - 566 = 1133

Total RPs: 566 + 1133 = 1699

Can you please explain this part? How would Infinia fare in this comparison?

6 hours ago, achilles said:

Can you please explain this part? How would Infinia fare in this comparison?

Base RPs remain the same.

Bonus RPs will increase as Infinia has 5x SB multiplier.

Bonus Daily Cap for Infinia is 7500/day and 15k/month.

In case of Infinia, SB is almost always the better choice.

Just think what kind of value SB used to be before, multiplier used to be 10x for Infinia and DCB with NO cap.

Card Abusers ruined it for everyone.

Wtf is up with HDFC and ICICI ? None of their cards are now accepted at the (relatively) new 080 Bangalore lounge. It's primarily Amex and few Visa Signature variants (SBI signature, Kotax Visa Sig Debit (not credit), Priority Pass among a few others). 

Even HDFC Infinia and DCB holders were sent to the usual overfilled BLR lounge. 

Amex add on card works btw, for 600 extra. 

@hannibal09 Need some clarification regarding HDFC Smartbuy Points cap. Does the daily cap include base RPs or only Bonus RPs for a Smartbuy transaction?

Let's say I make a purchase of 54000 on SB using DCB which has 2500/day cap and 3x multiplier.

Will I get:

1) 54000/150 = 360*5 = 1800*3 = 5400 but capped to 2500, so 2500 in total (cap on both base+bonus RPs)

2) Base RPs = 54000/150 = 360*5 = 1800

Bonus RPs = 54000/150 = 360*5 = 1800*3 = 5400 - 1800 = 3600, capped to 2500 = 2500 (cap only on Bonus RPs)

Total RPs = 1800 + 2500 = 4300

Will really appreciate the help.

2 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Wtf is up with HDFC and ICICI ? None of their cards are now accepted at the (relatively) new 080 Bangalore lounge. It's primarily Amex and few Visa Signature variants (SBI signature, Kotax Visa Sig Debit (not credit), Priority Pass among a few others). 

Even HDFC Infinia and DCB holders were sent to the usual overfilled BLR lounge. 

Amex add on card works btw, for 600 extra. 

Amex can't mitigate the ban fast enough.

With an Amex, I would pretty much be sorted with the rest of my cards.

3 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

@hannibal09 Need some clarification regarding HDFC Smartbuy Points cap. Does the daily cap include base RPs or only Bonus RPs for a Smartbuy transaction?

Let's say I make a purchase of 54000 on SB using DCB which has 2500/day cap and 3x multiplier.

Will I get:

1) 54000/150 = 360*5 = 1800*3 = 5400 but capped to 2500, so 2500 in total (cap on both base+bonus RPs)

Bonus RPs = 54000/150 = 360*5 = 1800*3 = 5400 - 1800 = 3600, capped to 2500 = 2500 (cap only on Bonus RPs)

2nd one. Cap is on bonus points

7 hours ago, Sach4life said:

2nd one. Cap is on bonus points

I know that but sometimes their bonus points credit don't make sense.

Only if they give details about bonus points credit for individual transactions and not just a lumpsum credit.

They should also do it when the transaction is posted on the card and not days later.

Still trying hard for DCB, need to make an Apple transaction and SB is the best option.

Edited by KunjanPSD
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

Will I get:

Case 2. Cap is on bonus points only 

NVM, didn't saw it was answered

Edited by hannibal09

14 minutes ago, hannibal09 said:

Case 2. Cap is on bonus points only 

NVM, didn't saw it was answered

https://www.technofino.in/community/threads/bad-news-for-smartbuy-and-other-amazon-affiliate-purchases.1318/

Any info about this? Because this pretty much kills SmartBuy if true. Will finally get Amazon ICICI card if true, Sad.

17 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

@hannibal09

Will I get:

All of this might go in vain.

People aren't able to buy Amazon Vouchers and hit/miss on Amazon transactions.

Not sure how many people will be able to take advantage of Smartbuy without Amazon.

Amazon being shitty, Amz icici doesn't qualify for their own ICICI discounts.

Milennia might just end up being good option for Amazon now.

Such a shitty move.

Called Smartbuy Concierge and was told the same thing. From 1st Amazon won't be a Smartbuy partner.
Bahut bada dhakka laga.

Although Smartbuy still has decent options for flights/hotels/products but with removal of Amazon, DCB/Infinia advantage has been greatly reduced with this. I don't think anyone wants to transact on Flipkart, lol.

So in case your use case was only limited to Amazon and not other merchants on Smartbuy. StanC Ultimate starts looking good because of the similar reward rate and lower fees, not many airmiles partners though.

Citi Prestige has better base reward rate but high fees and quite a few exceptions.

I didn't transact that much on Amazon via Smartbuy because I had Regalia, was looking forward to use DCB but I guess not.

@hannibal09 Do you think a portfolio of LTF DCB, Citi PM (hopefully Prestige later on) and possibly Amazon ICICI be best going forward for airmiles value add?

I was planning to add almost every purchase on DCB but with Amazon gone, now planning to add most expenses on Prestige if I am able to get it and then only the purchases which can still provide bonus points will go on DCB.

Other options I considered:

StanC Ultimate has lower fees but not much when if comes to airlines partners, not sure how good their redemption value is on normal booking.

Axis Magnus only has Club Vistara as far as I know. 1L milestone is pretty sweet though.

Amex, will consider when bans lifts.

Called Smartbuy Concierge and was told the same thing. From 1st Amazon won't be a Smartbuy partner.
Bahut bada dhakka laga.

Although Smartbuy still has decent options for flights/hotels/products but with removal of Amazon, DCB/Infinia advantage has been greatly reduced with this. I don't think anyone wants to transact on Flipkart, lol.

So in case your use case was only limited to Amazon and not other merchants on Smartbuy. StanC Ultimate starts looking good because of the similar reward rate and lower fees, not many airmiles partners though.

Citi Prestige has better base reward rate but high fees and quite a few exceptions.

I didn't transact that much on Amazon via Smartbuy because I had Regalia, was looking forward to use DCB but I guess not.

This is going to be a big blow for Infinia/DCB for sure. I am glad I applied for the ICICI Amazon card as well. Going to use that for all Amazon orders going forward. 

On a side note DCB acceptance is worse than Amex. Zepto/BlinkIt don't accept DCB.

35 minutes ago, SuperT said:

This is going to be a big blow for Infinia/DCB for sure. I am glad I applied for the ICICI Amazon card as well. Going to use that for all Amazon orders going forward. 

On a side note DCB acceptance is worse than Amex. Zepto/BlinkIt don't accept DCB.

Amazon ICICI is still not that great. Come ICICI sale, it is never eligible for the discount. But yes, most probably the best option left for Amazon, which bitch Amazon wanted to do.

DCB works mostly on all big box stores, Zepto/Blinkit no idea.

Amazon ICICI is still not that great. Come ICICI sale, it is never eligible for the discount. But yes, most probably the best option left for Amazon, which bitch Amazon wanted to do.

DCB works mostly on all big box stores, Zepto/Blinkit no idea.

What about the normal offers? For example on the Sony WHXM4 there is a 2k discount on all cards, so will the icici card get the 2k discount and the 5% cash back as well ? 

Just now, SuperT said:

What about the normal offers? For example on the Sony WHXM4 there is a 2k discount on all cards, so will the icici card get the 2k discount and the 5% cash back as well ? 

Yes, it will. Also, you will also get extra 750 special discount in addition (depends when the promotion is running).