Credit Card - Help & Recommendations

El Tigre Chino

1 minute ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

With the use of new touch screen card machines, AMEX acceptability has improved drastically. 

THIS. Pinelabs touch screen network is almost in every shop now. Hence, Amex by default is accepted almost everywhere at least in the metros. 

Same is not the case with DC unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, SuperT said:

THIS. Pinelabs touch screen network is almost in every shop now. Hence, Amex by default is accepted almost everywhere at least in the metros. 

Same is not the case with DC unfortunately. 

Pinelabs doesn't decide if a merchant uses Amex or not.

The merchant decides it ex: Zara. Because the merchant has to pay the network fees.

6 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Pinelabs doesn't decide if a merchant uses Amex or not.

The merchant decides it ex: Zara. Because the merchant has to pay the network fees.

But strangely since the time Pinelab touch machines have started popping up, shops have started accepting Amex for some reason. For example my local chemist earlier never accepted Amex when he had a HDFC machine but suddenly because of Pinelabs he now takes my Amex card as well. Maybe because earlier Amex was not an option with other machines and Pinelabs has Amex ? Anyway point being Amex is much better compared to DC. 

Edited by SuperT

22 minutes ago, SuperT said:

But strangely since the time Pinelab touch machines have started popping up, shops have started accepting Amex for some reason. For example my local chemist earlier never accepted Amex when he had a HDFC machine but suddenly because of Pinelabs he now takes my Amex card as well. Maybe because earlier Amex was not an option with other machines and Pinelabs has Amex ? Anyway point being Amex is much better compared to DC. 

Maybe, though having worked at one of these network companies before I don't see how PineLabs would make the acceptance better . Amex used to charge double of Visa and MasterCard. Inline with DCB.

Unless PineLabs is footing the extra charge, no way these small merchants will go for Amex.

7 minutes ago, Madmage said:

Amex takes 3 percent and abovec which is ridiculous for chemist and low margin retail

Anywhere between 2.5-3.5%, although you can expect even 2.2%.

Visa and MC generally quote 1.5-2.5, haven't seen many instances where it was above 1.5% during my tenure.

Did some calculations.

Gonna put all expenses from now on Citi PM and hope to upgrade later to Prestige and get good conversion for Airmiles.

If hypothetically I had DCB, would have only used it in case I am able to take advantage of Smartbuy (5x/10x) and break my transactions so I can hit daily bonus caps on multiple (atleast 2) days.

Gonna require some planning but gonna get a much better value than my current Regalia.

36 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Itni to maine shaadi main planning nahi ki thi. :fear1:

Lol.

But if done right my expenses will get a 5-10% reward rate.

Honestly, you can say that I have too much time on my hands and this is just a new hobby that I am pursuing.

On 6/30/2022 at 11:54 AM, SuperT said:

Nope. Having used both, I can safely say Amex acceptability is much much better at least in Delhi/NCR. Even online almost all platforms support Amex. 

Add Lenskart to the list of platforms that don't accept DC but accept Amex. At this rate I will never be able to accumulate spends on DC :wallbash:

3 hours ago, SuperT said:

Add Lenskart to the list of platforms that don't accept DC but accept Amex. At this rate I will never be able to accumulate spends on DC :wallbash:

Amex is gonna start accepting new applications by July-end/Aug-start.

The arsenal will be complete then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LordSpymaster said:

Amazon made Amex remove themselves from Amex's reward multiplier platform. Was an easy way to get 2x RPs on a decent sized Amazon purchase.

Actually Amazon pulled out of all of the affiliate programs. HDFC, Amex, Axis. Twitter has been very buzzy because HDFC had 5x/3x multiplier for Amazon but people were exploiting it by paying commercial bills in 8 figures.

• Sad 1

On 6/30/2022 at 2:55 PM, SuperT said:

Agreed. My chemist who we buy from regularly gives a 10-15% discount every time depending on the amount. 2-3% will not pinch him. 

3 percent is a lot when you just have to pay for payment processing.

On 6/30/2022 at 2:35 PM, KunjanPSD said:

Anywhere between 2.5-3.5%, although you can expect even 2.2%.

Visa and MC generally quote 1.5-2.5, haven't seen many instances where it was above 1.5% during my tenure.

Visa and mc can go as low as 1.2 percent too..amex are too anal.about their margins

10 hours ago, Madmage said:

3 percent is a lot when you just have to pay for payment processing.

I started using the Apollo pharmacy because they accept amex but since the time the local guy has started accepting amex I have shifted back to him. Honestly, in the long run its beneficial for them to keep all the options available. I think it is better to pay the 2.5-3% payment charges rather than lose a customer.